Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Wed Nov 5 2014 14:11:46

eBay Opts More Sellers ino Its Global Shipping Program

Last week, a seller notified me eBay had opted him into the Global Shipping Program "right out of the blue." He said he opted out, but was told it takes 72 hours.

Here is his response to eBay on why he wished to opt out: "I have no interest in selling to non US buyers. But if I were interested I would want to make the money for shipping myself. If a buyer is willing to pay as much as you charge for that I would want to keep the money. I am not in business to make ebay or Pitney Bowes really rich."

This week, some sellers forwarded a notice they received from eBay telling them it was opting them into the GSP program. The subject line of the email was, "Sell to millions more potential customers," and here is the fulltext of the letter:

Dear (redacted):
We've noticed you have a number of listings that are a great fit for the Global Shipping Program but are not currently enabled for international sales. This means you're missing out on millions of potential buyers.

To help make it easier for buyers in up to 64 countries to purchase your items, later this month we will automatically enable all of your GSP-eligible listings.

International shipping and shopping made easy

With the Global Shipping Program, you simply ship to a US shipping center where international shipping and customs clearance are handled for you. And since your buyer pays all fees up front, there are no additional amounts due upon delivery.

No action is needed to take advantage of this global selling opportunity; simply leave your settings as they are now. Eligible items are identified automatically, free of charge. However if you would like your GSP-eligible items to be excluded from the Program simply click here by November 10, 2014.

And as always, thanks for selling on eBay!

One of the sellers who received the letter wrote, "Ah now isn't that awfully nice of them to automatically turn on GPS for me. I very much dislike their GPS program!! I had a pretty bad shipping experience with it, and turned it off of my personal account. Now they turn it on for my work account."

In tomorrow's Newsflash, we'll delve into some of the reasons why sellers don't wish to participate in the Global Shipping Program. What do you think?

Perminate Link for eBay Opts More Sellers ino Its Global Shipping Program   eBay Opts More Sellers ino Its Global Shipping Program

by: Redlion This user has validated their user name.

Thu Nov 6 07:08:27 2014

I was among the sellers who were opted in.  I. received an email the I had opted in to the GSP.  Nice try eBay.

by: Maui5150 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Nov 6 07:14:17 2014

I will NOT use this program.  I am not surprised people who use it do not see a huge increase in sales... those people are buying from ME.  (I think about 60% of my sales numbers and 80% of my sales dollars are international)

The eBay program is nice in it protects sellers slightly by having shipping component domestic, the buyer gets nailed with customs and other fees and my International shipping costs are often 50% - 75% lower compared to what they get through GSP.  I also just don't trust eBay.  It is more work on my end, but in general happier customers who appreciate how hard I work for them

This user has validated their user name. by: iBuyers

Thu Nov 6 07:32:27 2014

The Easy Method To Avoid ALL International Sales No Matter What:
-Use Pay Immediately Option On All BIN Items
-Use PayPal Risk Controls To Block Funds Not Based In The USA.

by: ConnecticutGal This user has validated their user name.

Thu Nov 6 07:58:02 2014

I, too, received "the email" opting me in so I looked at my listings and, indeed, all had been changed without my knowledge to "ships to US, Canada and Mexico."  I manually changed each one and then reset the button in the proper My Ebay section.

Of even more interest, I have noticed the "rolling blackouts" on my items in the US but recently got a request from someone in Europe to  purchase one of my items and he asked me to set it to International shipping so he could buy it.  I was perplexed at how he could even find my item, especially when, sometimes, my friends cannot find my items in the US.

For me, shipping out of the US is a non-starter because of the additional hassle plus not understanding what a return from an international customer would entail.  I don't take returns on my antiques anyway but want to avoid potential breakage and hassle later on by shipping internationally.

by: Volvo351 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Nov 6 09:21:54 2014

Once again, it's all about what's best for eBay and its den of overpaid thieves in the corporate penthouse. Not only isn't any consideration given to the idea that sellers can best decide for themselves in these matters, these brainiacs can't even conceive of the concept.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Thu Nov 6 09:37:25 2014

The day this is forced on us is the day that we stop shipping internationally altogether. Since USPS raised international rates international orders are so rare that we really would not see much difference.

eBay is beyond shameless. I am very sorry for the honest eBay employees who have to work with the employees who have absolutely no ethics.

by: nimsaoui This user has validated their user name.

Thu Nov 6 09:56:10 2014

iBuyer writes,
''The Easy Method To Avoid ALL International Sales No Matter What:
-Use Pay Immediately Option On All BIN Items
-Use PayPal Risk Controls To Block Funds Not Based In The USA.''

This is not quite correct.
I live in Europe and have a US credit card (with European address)
linked to my PayPal account.
I could buy from you at any time.
And what you call ''PayPal risk control'' is exactly the same for a
domestic or international Amex Platinum Card or Visa Card linked
to any PayPal account.

by: Moonwishes This user has validated their user name.

Thu Nov 6 09:56:40 2014

Just shaking my head about the dumb clucks running ebay that for some reason in the last 10 years, they seem to think that ebay sellers are there for their own personal convenience in earning money (so they don't actually have to work themselves). Decisions as to whether or not to ship globably is the seller's decision not ebay's. Why are people still selling on ebay? I sell on line to avoid having bosses telling me what to do, yet ebay seems to think and act as if sellers can't do anything without their help. Putting sellers into programs without their permission is despicable and just plain wrong.

by: lostinohio This user has validated their user name.

Thu Nov 6 10:02:49 2014

I was opted in too about a week ago.  Immediately opted out.

I am listing less and less, just trying to get rid of some NWT clothing (which aren't selling).

Not selling clothing overseas and get hit with a return for an invented ''flaw.''

There is nothing ebay doesn't try to monetize.

by: thebobman This user has validated their user name.

Thu Nov 6 10:09:33 2014

I gave GSP a shot in the beginning. I sold to items which would have cost me about $7 each to ship overseas, but charged the buyer about $28 because GSP ships Priority. These were each about $15-$25 items so they weren't really worth enough to spend that much on shipping. The buyer wasn't even aware that I charged a lower 1st class rate.

This user has validated their user name. by: iBuyers

Thu Nov 6 10:17:16 2014

In reply to nimsaoui

Another level of PP Risk Controls would also block you in lieu of your statement:

1- You do not have a US confirmed shipping address linked to the funding source (European)

2-In addition it is a Non USA AMEX Account and is ultimately a foreign PayPal account.

We have successfully avoided every purchase attempt (many, many thousands) of non US buyers for years,  w/o one getting through our system.

We are content in the success of avoiding all international sales and the overwhelming fraud accompanying it and it works effectively for us.

by: Toledo Maude This user has validated their user name.

Thu Nov 6 10:22:57 2014

Global Shipping program is a hugh profit center for eBay for international sales, just as eBay picks our pockets on domestic shipping with a slick 9% fee on shipping charges.

Global Shipping is a reincarnation of the late 19th and early 20th Century company store.  The robber barons paid their employee/slaves in script redeemable only at the company store.

The robber barons saw an enormous opportunity to extort their employee/slaves with high prices/profits at the company store, and so eBay’s crack MBA’s see an opportunity to reap hugh profits  by over-charging on the Global Shipping program.

Just as the robber barons did not give their employee/slaves a choice on being paid in company script, eBay certainly does not want to pass up mega bucks by letting “independent” sellers decide what is in their best interest.

by: yo This user has validated their user name.

Thu Nov 6 10:55:18 2014

We have lost many costumers because when they are going to check out the GSP is very expensive.. We end up not completing the sale

by: Mrsebastian This user has validated their user name.

Thu Nov 6 10:55:59 2014

The biggest issue I have with GSP (or my own International shipping) are deadbeat bidders! I've had to resist an item 3 times now, because the winner is always something like "skkd8334" in a random country and of course they never pay. My guess is there is a ton of fraud with GSP.

by: Mark4 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Nov 6 10:57:05 2014

HEY EBAY KEEP YOUR DIRTY SNEAKY HANDS OFF MY SETTINGS!!!! THANK GOD I DON'T HAVE TO DEAL WITH THIS BS OVER AT AMAZON OR BONANZA.COM

This user has validated their user name. by: Island_Sam

Thu Nov 6 11:15:21 2014

We've been burned too many times to even contemplate on "opting" into this program. Both by ebay and scamming international buyers. We are suspending our ebay operations on Nov 11 to Nov 17 to protest and support the seller community.

by: fashionista This user has validated their user name.

Thu Nov 6 11:34:46 2014

I have received several feedbacks like this.....

"Nice item, just as shown and no 'Global Shipping' money grab, Keep it up"

Enough said

by: fashionista This user has validated their user name.

Thu Nov 6 11:37:26 2014

I'm wondering what is the percentage of items that actually make it to the buyer on the gsp.  After looking at the listings of the Kansas City center, many items are sold off, even simple items that are not prohibited to send.  I bet it's a mess there

This user has validated their user name. by: Anonymous Annie

Thu Nov 6 12:20:21 2014

Oh good lord! It's all I can do to keep up with eBay's foibles simply as an outside observer and occasional heckler.

I can only imagine how time-consuming, maddening and *frustrating* it must be for those honest, hardworking and dedicated sellers who are still actually trying to make a living on eBay.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Thu Nov 6 12:25:47 2014

@angryllama

I have seen no such announcement.  Ebay has been, in the past one to two months, implementing change after change after change with no announcement to anyone.  They have been coming hard and fast.

Among the biggest are the changes to the cancellation process.  Ebay somehow feels it is acceptable to throw these changes out there and sellers can just stumble across them to learn how to deal with the change.

While they typically do this off and on throughout the year.  This holiday season is seem like there are far more of them and some with great significance to sellers.

1 2 3 4  [Next Page]