Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Sun Sept 29 2013 19:35:46

eBay Buyers and Sellers Frustrated by Recurring Photo Glitch

eBay sellers were again stymied as they listed items on Sunday thanks to a glitch that prevented them from uploading photos (or that "disappeared" the photos after uploading), but buyers are frustrated as well. The problem appears to be identical to the glitch that occurred a week ago.

As noted in covering last week's glitch, the problem is happening on eBay's busiest day of the week, but because it's a Sunday, it appears to get less attention from eBay staff.

The problem is especially apparent when sorting search results by "Newly Listed."

As with last week, the eBay Picture Hosting discussion board was full of reports from sellers experiencing the problem, but again, eBay failed to post a report on its Systems Announcement board.

Some sellers began reporting intermittent problems on Wednesday - "I upload them and then they disappear, some do not upload, others upload and then go away," wrote one seller. "Sick of trying." Or perhaps those reports stemmed from latent issues from last Sunday's glitch.

EcommerceBytes readers reported the problem again on the Ecommerce EKG board. But it's not just sellers who are frustrated by the glitch - buyers are frustrated as well.

"I'm having this issue as well, not as a seller but as a buyer. I'm shopping right now on Ebay and half the photos of items I'm trying to look at are not showing up when I click through to the listings. Am just saving them in my watchlist to look at later, but not good if I'm interested in buying an item that's ending before Ebay gets this fixed. Ebay, I need to see photos to know what I'm buying!"

Let us know if you're having an issue by giving the report a "thumbs up" or "thumbs down" on Ecommerce EKG, where reports are flooding in, and let us know how it impacts you in the comments below.

Perminate Link for eBay Buyers and Sellers Frustrated by Recurring Photo Glitch   eBay Buyers and Sellers Frustrated by Recurring Photo Glitch

This user has validated their user name. by: Puck

Mon Sep 30 14:54:22 2013

"Second Sunday in a row. This is my busiest day and I am loosing money."

There's a lot of people who are always "loosing" something on the eBay boards.

by: Cassie This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 30 16:32:44 2013

I've noticed ebay listing hiccups and other web sales hosting sites for weeks. This is a universal plague?? ....either my guess under projection listing traffic or deliberate sabotage influence ......always this time of year when most are preparing the entire sales quarter holiday listing.

Has anyone notice these issues arise enforce as the big box retailers are marketing  Christmas sales before back to school & Halloween? Kmart is pushing layaway for Christmas August, Target promo is Christmas in September sale has gyrated more listing activity traffic, comparison traffic & other havoc!

Noticing issues with my private website the as web host reporting rise activity this time versus last year. Also, all are featuring incentives early either listing or additional web sites or mobile host sales.

The competition criteria for selling quality, listing quantity or seller quality rampantly fierce driven this year since negative market holiday retail crazy early (February) snippet projections came out???! The snippet was political predictive based off estimated government shutdown hype hammering holiday sales and other economic propaganda garbage.

Sabotage well is two fold feeling pushing out too much too fast then ready backfire or pushing out anxiety too soon preview for market competition/projection hype. I follow business/economic news but this years media hype bad projections before actual holiday sales and retail lemming migration this news annoying pain.

This user has validated their user name. by: Tula

Mon Sep 30 16:53:15 2013

I use both ebay's picture service and self-hosting. My own hosted photos showed up fine in my listings, but the ebay ones were  a mess. At least buyers could see something if they click into my listings. I'm glad I wasn't actually paying for these listings.

by: NetWatch This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 30 17:14:49 2013

The amoral "law unto itself" entity that ebay has become can be traced back to John Donahoe becoming CEO around early 2008 and the introduction of the DSRs and a number of other egregious policies: PayPal holds of whatever length, seller limitations, forcing sellers to only take PayPal (or at least not allowing them to announce that they can and will accept money orders), the fee hikes of course, Guardrail or Quick Decline and trending. All of this has combined (by design) to create a hostile environment of fear and distrust for small sellers at ebay. All of it combines to drive small sellers off through restrictions and suspensions or because they wake up to what is going on and leave by choice. And now the latest move by ebay granting itself permission to hide sellers' listings. Because of the nature of predatory capitalism, ebay survives and thrives because there do not appear to be outside mechanisms (SEC, FTC, Attorney General's offices, Senators, Congressmen) reacting to the illegalities being perpetrated by ebay. Are they blind to it, unaware of it, or "bought off". I lean toward a combination of the three, which is why a good investigative report by some major television network may be needed to really get the ball rolling in terms of exposing ebay publically and getting a real investigation into by authorities capable of doing something about it. I personally lean toward a House/Senate Committee Investigation of ebay (televised of course) along the lines of the Watergate Hearings or the Clarence Thomas hearings. If dozens and dozens of sellers who have suffered unjustly from ebay could testify before government officials UNDER OATH factually and truthfully this would be DAMNING to ebay. The further grilling of ebay top brass as they attempt to justify their egregious actions would be the icing on the cake. I urge anyone reading this to write to your Congressman or Senator in Washington DC (you can Google contact info), state your case accurately, and request an investigation into ebay. Snail mail still works better for OFFICIAL matters, but don't hesitate to email or call their 800 numbers as well. And keep those calls going to the FTC or visit their website: www.ftc.gov

by: mimi51 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 30 22:50:38 2013

It's still not working correctly.  I've experienced it all days of the week at various times.  I don't have a lot of time to list so it's maddening for this to happen when I have a few minutes.  Just tried to list some new items.  Not tonight...

by: wonderswhy This user has validated their user name.

Tue Oct 1 04:04:18 2013

Take a look at this, its asking me to edit another sellers page, I cannot do it but geezz what a mess ebay is anymore.I've have looked on both my notebook and PC & my pictures are not loading on my ebay page & I have sold items. Last week I couldn't sign in, naturally the holiday season is coming up, I can hardly wait for more technical issues to appear.

by: wonderswhy This user has validated their user name.

Tue Oct 1 04:04:47 2013

Did this come thru the page link?

by: ebay refugee camp This user has validated their user name.

Wed Oct 2 15:35:39 2013

This is totally unacceptable, all these glitches, changes, policy this policy that. Who is holding ebay accountable? The CEO needs to come out of hiding and address all of this with sellers and buyers. If you complain it is to a csr who has no power to do anything.
The other venues I deal with never have problems like this, it is just plain wrong,fix your site, not the policies for a change.

1 2