Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Thu Mar 14 2013 22:06:29

eBay Snubbing of Sellers Due to Technical Difficulties

A lot of eBay sellers have complained that they've been excluded from participating in the invitation-only promotions the company has been running since last summer. But according to the Director of Pricing & Monetization (an interesting name for the department), the majority of sellers should be able to participate in at least one promotion a month.

We get into the reasons why you may never have received an invitation in Friday's newsletter - "technical difficulties" at eBay is one of the culprits.

But how important are the promotions? Does it save sellers an enormous amount of money to be able to list a few thousand auction or fixed price listings (depending on the promotion)?

What would your ideal promotion consist of in terms of format, duration and quantity? And should eBay run a few free listing day promotions for everyone throughout the year, or run frequent promotions on a rotating basis?

If you've participated in the free listing promotions, has it been worth your time and energy? Do your sales go up, or does sell-through go down?

eBay's goal is to increase the gross merchandise value of items sold as a measurable result of listing promotions, so let us know what you're experiencing.

Perminate Link for eBay Snubbing of Sellers Due to Technical Difficulties   eBay Snubbing of Sellers Due to Technical Difficulties

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Mon Mar 18 21:49:04 2013

@Basset

I LOVE it !!  I bet you are EXACTLY right.  Oh thank you for the laugh, that was so good.

Mine on my main account arrived about 45 minutes after the one arrived for my smaller account.  And of course well over half way through the promo.  There is going to be lots of mad sellers out there.

by: arisdisc This user has validated their user name.

Mon Mar 18 21:49:13 2013

My gross sales are DOUBLED when they offer me free auction insertions. They can certainly see that on their end.

The last time I got an invite for free auction inserts (before the current sale today) was a FULL YEAR AGO. I have a store, and was ignored on all invites. (This does 'not' count for free insertion fees for buy it now items. That saves me a nickel an entry and isn't even worth talking about).

The most annoying thing besides not being invited, is the 'late' notification on the sales. I wasn't told about the current sale until 15 hours after it started. Since I sell rare records my listings take time to create, and I don't have the spare time to do them in advance and hope for a sale.

Since my starting prices can sometimes be high, I find it is no longer worth the risk to pay the full insertion fee for each item. I just hope for a sale. I certainly hope I don't have to wait for another FULL YEAR for the next one. We'll see if it's really a 'glitch' or not.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Mon Mar 18 21:54:06 2013

@arisdisc

Well you are one of the lucky ones if they only waited 15 hrs to notify you.  As you can see from the posts just above yours, many of us didn't get notified until 65+ hours into the 96 hr promotion.  So you were VERY lucky !!

This user has validated their user name. by: bitbybit

Mon Mar 18 23:24:56 2013

Even though I found out about this promotion in my messages and through EB (thanks!), I received the email this evening too.

Wonder if this is a test to continue offering 500 free fixed and auctions every month instead of 50 free auctions. 500 is much more reasonable and doesn't flood the site like 75,000, 5,000 etc. However, if this is a test, ebay failed at informing the masses.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Tue Mar 19 02:22:14 2013

@bitbybit

Doubtful.  The 50 free is for non store owners.  The 500 free is a 96 hr promotion for everyone.  I don't think we can read into it that it may become a regular thing anymore than any other promotion has ever become a regular thing.

Offering 75,000 or 5,000 listings in any promotion is a gimic in and of itself.  It would only be diamond sellers that could pull off 75,000 listings and possibly the 5,000 as well.  And if they are a diamond seller, they already have special rates.  So it would be unlikely they would jump through any hoops to take advantage of these types of promotions since it would cost them more in labor than the fees they may save.

This user has validated their user name. by: elpereles

Wed Mar 20 01:10:07 2013

As I said in my previous comments in the topic. You never get them in time and they disappear from your inbox.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Wed Mar 20 01:22:56 2013

@elpereles

If you have disappearing emails from your private email, that is not fault of Ebay's.  You need to see what is going on with your computer and/or email provider.

I've never had the problem of a promo notification being this late.  I'm sorry to hear you have.  I've had them come in a couple hours late, but never when then promotion was more than half over.

This user has validated their user name. by: elpereles

Wed Mar 20 10:51:29 2013

Please read my 2nd comment in the topic. I was clear. In the eBay inbox. If you had any previous invitation. Go and look in it. Tell me if you can still see all the invitations.

Months ago eBay stopped sending the promos to the personal e-mails.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Wed Mar 20 11:21:47 2013

I always get mine to my personal email.  Even this last promotion, late as it was came to my personal email account.

Ebay doesn't techincally send them to my personal account, they send it through Ebay messages.  I have my messages set up to forward a copy to my personal email account.

1 2 3