Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Thu Aug 30 2012 00:00:53

Bonanza to Help Sellers List Items on eBay and Google

The marketplace that barged onto the scene in 2008 as an alternative to eBay and attracted unhappy eBay sellers is now going to help its members sell on eBay.

Bonanza is launching a program to help sellers sell items more quickly than they could do by listing on Bonanza alone - for sellers who are willing to pay a higher commission. It's a bit of a "multichannel selling for dummies" approach, since Bonanza simplifies the process for sellers - and it also removes the risk of upfront CPC (cost-per-click) costs for Google Shopping ads, which will soon no longer be free.

Sellers currently pay Bonanza a 3.5% commission if their item sells. They can continue to do so with no change whatsoever. But with the new "ad program," they can also choose to select a higher commission in order to get exposure on Google Shopping and/or on eBay.

Bonanza uses sellers' own eBay accounts in order to list their items in a 30-day fixed-price listing format. Presumably Bonanza sellers will get charged directly by eBay for the listing fees. Just who bills the seller for the eBay commission fees is murky, and Bonanza charges sellers an additional commission on top of the eBay FVF. (Bonanza alerted us to their blog post on Wednesday evening and did not pre-brief us; it seems sellers commenting on the Bonanza blog have some of the same questions we have.)

Part of the explanation into how the new program works is found in the FAQ, "How is it that Bonanza can be paying to buy me Google Shopping clicks before I've paid Bonanza?"

"This is indeed the major difference between Bonanza and every other advertising platform that we know of.  We have built systems that understand the selling potential of a given item, so we can have our software automatically adjust the cost per click such that the risk is sufficiently low for Bonanza.  That said, there will be many times where we pay for clicks to your items, your items don't sell, and we lose money.  We accept that as a cost of doing business to help us reach our "big hairy audacious goal" (see above).

Those potential losses are justified to us, because we don't think that you want to learn how to calculate the optimal CPC cost for your items, so we're doing away with the complicated stuff and focusing on what matters to you - what percentage of your profits are going to be spent on getting this item sold?"

The FAQs for Bonanza's new ad platform acknowledges that many sellers are disgruntled eBay sellers - one FAQ asks, "Wait, you allow publishing items to eBay? Aren't they the enemy?"

The answer to the question is as follows:

"We understand that many of our sellers have had bad eBay experiences at some point, and there are certainly aspects of the eBay selling experience that leave something to be desired.  But at the end of the day, eBay can often be the fastest way to get an item sold, if you can afford the fees.  For the sellers who are interested in making the most sales possible, publishing their items to eBay while using Bonanza's award-winning UI (all while getting paid advertising handled for them in Google Shopping by Bonanza) is a solution that will probably make a lot of sense."

Founder Bonanza Bill Harding called the new approach a paradigm shift in an effort to drive more sales to sellers' booths.

It appears to be an admission that their merchants' sales are slow, and calls into question just how viable an alternative marketplace Bonanza is.

Perminate Link for Bonanza to Help Sellers List Items on eBay and Google   Bonanza to Help Sellers List Items on eBay and Google

by: Watching the Wheels This user has validated their user name.

Sun Sep 2 07:38:35 2012

@GoodGrief, I also sell on Etsy, and the operative word is SELL.

Etsy does some weird stuff but overall probably presents the overall best venue package deal, and unlike most of the alternative sites, have managed to position themselves into the #3 Venue position. Only Amazon and Ebay get more traffic.

The Etsy staff also actively market their site whenever they can think up an opportunity to do so. And this marketing effort occurs at all levels of the people involved with the sit. One of the investors/board members Fred Wilson utilises Etsy as one of his blog topics on a very regular basis. <---- THIS impresses me greatly!

by: Harriet This user has validated their user name.

Sun Sep 2 09:56:36 2012

eCrater.com is a decent, well run, clean site. I have had good luck there. I like the management and the ease of listing, plus it is free.

Give it a try.

by: Mr. Me This user has validated their user name.

Sun Sep 2 11:33:18 2012

This just shows what we all know, things just dont sell on bonanza!
in a desperate move, they are turning to ebarf

by: Digmen1 This user has validated their user name.

Sun Sep 2 14:56:48 2012

Yes etsy are doing very well, they seem to be selling a lot of stuff.
But of course they have their own niche.

For general items where to go?

Bonanza has ruled themselves out.

Ecrater require a shop, which I don't like and rely on Google shopping.

Ebid.net has auctions and BIN and has a brosing list like ebay's with much lower fees. But it needs a lot more sellers and buyers and traffic.

by: digger This user has validated their user name.

Sun Sep 2 17:30:58 2012

I also like eCrater as an alternative. It is the closest thing to having your own hosted website.

Your own website using one of the recommended open source (ie free) shopping carts is also a very good solution. You can Google-up lots of articles on the open source shopping carts (eg ZenCart, AgoraCart etc)

by: collector007 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 26 01:42:40 2013

Wow, that's bad news about Bonanza. I had a lot of hopes pinned on them for a while.

QUESTION: Does anyone know any way humanly possible to convert my ebay listings to a website of my own? I don't mean merely show my ebay listings on my own website. I mean I want to REMOVE my listings from ebay completely and put them on my own website. For example, you know how Bonanza.com and some other sites would let you ''import'' your ebay items to their sites? Well, I want to do something like that, but the difference is, I want to send my ebay listings to my OWN site without having to painstakingly take each and every ebay listing and cut and paste them separately to my own site.

Can it be done? If so, I'd like to take my Amazon listings and send them to my own website too. Things are pretty slow for me at Amazon too, and I'm tired of these venues becoming anti-seller after they started off with so much promise.

Thanks to anyone who might be able to help with my question above.

Happy Selling!