Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Thu Aug 30 2012 00:00:53

Bonanza to Help Sellers List Items on eBay and Google

The marketplace that barged onto the scene in 2008 as an alternative to eBay and attracted unhappy eBay sellers is now going to help its members sell on eBay.

Bonanza is launching a program to help sellers sell items more quickly than they could do by listing on Bonanza alone - for sellers who are willing to pay a higher commission. It's a bit of a "multichannel selling for dummies" approach, since Bonanza simplifies the process for sellers - and it also removes the risk of upfront CPC (cost-per-click) costs for Google Shopping ads, which will soon no longer be free.

Sellers currently pay Bonanza a 3.5% commission if their item sells. They can continue to do so with no change whatsoever. But with the new "ad program," they can also choose to select a higher commission in order to get exposure on Google Shopping and/or on eBay.

Bonanza uses sellers' own eBay accounts in order to list their items in a 30-day fixed-price listing format. Presumably Bonanza sellers will get charged directly by eBay for the listing fees. Just who bills the seller for the eBay commission fees is murky, and Bonanza charges sellers an additional commission on top of the eBay FVF. (Bonanza alerted us to their blog post on Wednesday evening and did not pre-brief us; it seems sellers commenting on the Bonanza blog have some of the same questions we have.)

Part of the explanation into how the new program works is found in the FAQ, "How is it that Bonanza can be paying to buy me Google Shopping clicks before I've paid Bonanza?"

"This is indeed the major difference between Bonanza and every other advertising platform that we know of.  We have built systems that understand the selling potential of a given item, so we can have our software automatically adjust the cost per click such that the risk is sufficiently low for Bonanza.  That said, there will be many times where we pay for clicks to your items, your items don't sell, and we lose money.  We accept that as a cost of doing business to help us reach our "big hairy audacious goal" (see above).

Those potential losses are justified to us, because we don't think that you want to learn how to calculate the optimal CPC cost for your items, so we're doing away with the complicated stuff and focusing on what matters to you - what percentage of your profits are going to be spent on getting this item sold?"

The FAQs for Bonanza's new ad platform acknowledges that many sellers are disgruntled eBay sellers - one FAQ asks, "Wait, you allow publishing items to eBay? Aren't they the enemy?"

The answer to the question is as follows:

"We understand that many of our sellers have had bad eBay experiences at some point, and there are certainly aspects of the eBay selling experience that leave something to be desired.  But at the end of the day, eBay can often be the fastest way to get an item sold, if you can afford the fees.  For the sellers who are interested in making the most sales possible, publishing their items to eBay while using Bonanza's award-winning UI (all while getting paid advertising handled for them in Google Shopping by Bonanza) is a solution that will probably make a lot of sense."

Founder Bonanza Bill Harding called the new approach a paradigm shift in an effort to drive more sales to sellers' booths.

It appears to be an admission that their merchants' sales are slow, and calls into question just how viable an alternative marketplace Bonanza is.

Perminate Link for Bonanza to Help Sellers List Items on eBay and Google   Bonanza to Help Sellers List Items on eBay and Google

by: sasswbe This user has validated their user name.

Fri Aug 31 00:44:16 2012

Looks like to me that Bonanza has been bought off by eBay. This is a very bad change and a real slam to the sellers on Bonanza. Many of the sellers on Bonanza had had it with eBay's dictatorship, poor management and constantly telling sellers how to run their business so they left eBay and moved to Bonanzle (now Bonanza). The sellers helped build the site and now the sellers are getting kicked in the teeth - Bonanza is turning into another eBay. Bonanza says one thing then does another. They are getting to be a greedy two-faced site which is a real shame. It was gaining popularity and becoming a good site to sell on but now it looks like either go their way or die out. So now we can look for another site to move too which is getting to be a real pain. I for one have over 450 items listed and you don't list that many items over night. Why can't someone come up with a good site and keep it that way instead of always letting greed take over?

by: Digmen1 This user has validated their user name.

Fri Aug 31 00:53:43 2012

I don't think Bill has a chance of selling Bonanza to ebay. (Not after this move)

They will just watch it die slowly now.

Why would they want to buy Bonanza.
Everyone knows about ebay already.
A lot of Bonanza sellers are probably still on ebay.
And if they did buy it many members would leave right away as they hate ebay.

If you want somewhere to go, start your own website or join ecrater or ebid.net. Ebid does auctions and accepts any payment method.

by: sailonsilvergirl This user has validated their user name.

Fri Aug 31 02:50:32 2012

Sellers may list on multiple sites, but why would they pay Bonanza a fee on top of the fee they pay eBay to list on both? Sellers will just list on both sites themselves. What real benefit is Bonanza providing? They are just alienating their sellers.

by: tbyr This user has validated their user name.

Fri Aug 31 06:33:23 2012

After reading the article!  I understand:

The way most items are listed at Bonanza is you give Bonanza your ebay ID and have them copy the listing from ebay.  The ebay seller has transported there listing from ebay to Bonanza.  Now Bonanza wants to send them back to ebay. This will make double insertions and cause the seller with infractions and get them kicked off ebay for having double!  Great move Bonanza!!

Bonanza has a tool in which I list to Bonanza from ebay and list my items on Bonanza they copy my listing from ebay.  Some seller may have fixed priced listing in an ebay store, and some are auctions that I do not run all the time and leave on the site. I send them to Bonanza.  Now Saying that!

Now Bonanza (if a seller pays for it) wants to send my items back to ebay (which makes that a dubble listed item, providing that they are not going to separate out what I already have in the ebay store) which will break ebay rules and have me ending up with a double listing? (problem number one I see)

Now after Bonanza sends the sellers listing back to ebay (which is really stupid) and pick up a fee from me 1.5% when ebay sells the listing?????  What did this back and forth of moving the listing to and from really accomplish  the way I see it is MORE FEES, MORE COST, YOU BETTER RAISE YOUR PICES SO YOU CAN PASS ON THIS EXTRA 1.5% TO  YOUR LOYAL BUYERS AT EBAY.  For it all comes down to cost.

At ebay you must be a top rated seller and all rules apply and if you accept anything other then pyapal at Bonanza you have to change all that information as well.  More added work for the seller more time and more fees to pay out.

Now I get to pay an even higher fee.

or am I reading something wrong?

Why go to Bonanza in the first place if ebay is doing the selling and you get the same traffic.  It is time to for every seller to get their own website.  If you are building a business making a living off the internet put your hand in your pocket and build the website.  With Auctiva Commerce website tool they make it easy to buid for any one of us! You do not have to know HTML and all you do is read and you can have it set up in no time and have a functioning web site. Stop giving your fees away.

This user has validated their user name. by: permacrisis

Fri Aug 31 08:49:52 2012

When Bonanzle started, they had a front page that was composed of a series of randomly changing panes. This collage represented a decent cross-section of the site. The panes would randomly dissolve, reassemble and feature a different item which would stay up for about a minute. At any given time you had roughly a dozen of these panes going, and probably 3 of them were truly interesting. I mean stop-what-you're-doing INTERESTING.

Additionally, on each item page you had a tagging area where you could VOTE it to the snazzy, ever-changing front page based on how well priced, bizarre, cool, beautiful, or funny it was.

This setup was pure GENIUS and it drove sales for those two months that 'Watching The Wheels' was talking about.

Then they brought out the hand picked lists which were static, probably took up less disk space or computing power or bandwitdth or all three... and SUCKED compared to the original, compelling homepage that paraded different items all day long.

For a fixed price site, that original screen was as close to ebay's Category Browse as Bonanzle would ever get.

Had they stayed the course and stuck with the original home screen regardless of the cost, I believe they would not have needed to advertise much because they would, over time have developed an even bigger cult following than the one they had.

In  the beginning, the items were the star and the site itself took a back seat, just as with ebay in its heyday. Furthermore, like early ebay, there was no weighting or emphasis on any one category- it was all a potluck jumble of whatever people felt like listing, and the buyers did the deciding.

Had the forums been more hidden, or strictly technical in nature,  there might have been more market-driven interaction.

Regardless of the coulda woulda shoulda is that you have to remeber who buys from these person to person selling sites. They are the flea market people, the swappers, traders, wheelers and dealers.

To abruply refocus on fashion is just gonna piss off the forklift, computer, and antique people who resent being placed in the ''everything else'' category.

That's unfocused. You should not expect everybody in the world to flock to your site, but build it to run flawlessly for the select group meant to use it. To do otherwise is a go-for-broke mentality and most times, you'll get there.

by: Good Grief This user has validated their user name.

Fri Aug 31 09:01:08 2012

I for one am glad I didn't
join bonanza.  I can't even find anything I'm searching for there, so why would I join?

I think bonz went to ebay and said  'would you PLEASE buy back all these people that came here?''

I'm happy at etsy, despite their glitches, it's certainly better then being on another selling site that is Telling their sellers to GO AWAY

This user has validated their user name. by: Nan

Fri Aug 31 09:07:07 2012

Well I'm going to try it out. Not the eBay export, because that just sounds like a big editing nightmare. But I'll give the Google feed a go.  And the Bing too when it becomes available.  Can't hurt - might help.

I'm pretty sure I can still import my ebay items to Bonanza so I can turn around and export them to Google shopping.  Because I sure don't want to copy/paste all day.

This user has validated their user name. by: ebaydeserter

Fri Aug 31 09:46:27 2012

No No No. Say it isn't so. After finally shuttering my eBay store and devoting all my extra time and effort to selling on Bonanza (and WebStore) this is what I wake up to? Not a good start to a Holiday weekend.

I have had my own website active for a year now but never did more with it than insert a couple of links to my listings on Bonanza and WebStore. It appears now that I will have to find more scarce time to fully activate my site into a functioning and full blown selling venue.

No one will look after my interests or well being better than myself.

It is a shame that this is what trying to sell online has gotten to. I like Bonanza and had high hopes for its success and the possible heir to the throne of eBay for small sellers.

Not to be. Time to get busy.

by: DingDong This user has validated their user name.

Fri Aug 31 11:00:19 2012

I think that Bonanza is NOT listening to their sellers. They had a golden chance for a great selling website. Bonanza should send out surveys of what the sellers want to see and not see on Bonanza.

I also sell on Addoway and had just as many sales there.

Both Bonanza and Addoway don't advertise and that is a problem. I understand some advertising is very expensive and then there is some FREE. Instead of patrolling the community forum like they do, why aren't they blogging, searching and posting to the web information about the Bonanza site. Finding the buyers sites and listing Bonanza as a place to find EVERYTHING BUT THE ORDINARY. Searching the paid advertising to see what the best bang for the buck is.

WE HATE ALL THE FASHIONS on the homepage. Like it was said above, the homepage had all kinds of nifty neat stuff and I would go and check them out. Now, I can't stand the home page and it is misdirecting buyers that it is a FASHION SPOT.
(Hmmmmm Bill and Mark, why are you so fascinated with fashions?)

Bonanza:
* Keep to your motto: EVERYTHING BUT THE ORDINARY
* Keep Ebay out, this was suppose to be a haven from ebay
* LISTEN to the sellers
* Stop unnecessary programming changes that costs money that could be used for advertising.
* ADVERTISE

As long as it is free to list, I would cut off my nose. I do love some of the people in the community.

This user has validated their user name. by: Basset

Fri Aug 31 12:22:30 2012

@ permacrisis
I totally agree with you on the original Bonanzle screen. I was only on there in buyer capacity, but it was like a kaleidoscope of colors - I loved it!  Sometimes I logged into it just to see what the opening theme color would be!

I have bought a few things on Bonanza, but I did have a few problems figuring out search. If I liked a particular seller, I always had trouble finding them back.

This user has validated their user name. by: elpereles

Fri Aug 31 13:21:36 2012

@DingDong, agree with you.

Bonz in the past 2 years make some nice upgrades and 1 or 2 stupid, but the site improved a lot. I tested some months ago their eBay importer.

The first big problem that they only listen their cheerleaders legions.

The 2nd big problem was to be a site with fees that focus/project advertise work to the sellers and the search engines (in special hope for Froogle). Also if your site objective was to be the next eBay. You must create a base of buyers and not recruit sellers.

@Basset, I believe that you can add seller booths/items in your favorite list in the profile. Maybe you don't find them again because they aren't selling anymore in Bonz. It happened to me. After some months I returned to buy again from a seller and the items were gone. I manage to find his profile and that he leave the site because I wrote him a feedback.

This user has validated their user name. by: elpereles

Fri Aug 31 13:40:22 2012

"Instead of patrolling the community forum like they do, why aren't they blogging, searching and posting to the web information about the Bonanza site."

Waoo! The censorship group blowout to nowhere a topic (with more than 2 pages) I saw this morning in their forum about the eBay thing.

by: Digmen1 This user has validated their user name.

Fri Aug 31 14:37:05 2012

Unfortunately NO alt site has yet worked out how to attract Buyers!

I think the internet is just getting too big.

Yes I liked the scrolling screen on the first Bonanza.

Now it looks just like one of the big Fashion sites.

The Bonanza forums are worse than the Gestapo.

by: edwatt This user has validated their user name.

Fri Aug 31 15:06:11 2012

I don't get it.
I am an eBay seller who has moved only my most popular items to Bonz.  Its been about 6 months and I do not have a single sale on Bonz while hundreds of sales for the same items on eBay.
This change does not require us to list on eBay, its an option.  But it should give us better exposure on Google and Bing.
It costs nothing unless you sell.
I will gladly pay 9 to 13% as a final fee to Bonz.  Just get me some orders and reduce my dependency on eBay.
I'm paying eBay 10% now so what is the big deal.
Ed

by: Patricia This user has validated their user name.

Fri Aug 31 15:10:09 2012

Just another site of sellers selling to sellers. There never was any traffic on Bonanzle/Bonanza for someone like me.  The few sales I had there were from customers who came over from Ebay, bought and never came back.  Out of all of them the only one who stood a chance was Overstock and they have that "mental giant" running the place so they gave up on auctions (I still think Ebay shouldered them out of the business).  So far, doing okay on Etsy, Fine Art America and Zazzle.

by: scview This user has validated their user name.

Fri Aug 31 16:48:48 2012

I have often asked ''Bone'' naza to show us one successful seller on their site...they never have done so.

I think they don't have any.

This ''bone'' headed move to help Ebay on their part is in line with the stupid ''do not believe in advertising'' position that they have taken in the past.

They are toast to online sellers now. It is time for sellers to move off of that site and create a online selling system of their own.

BUT...don't leave until you have your ducks in a row.

1: Generate your own customer list. Download all your sales data off of Paypal and create your very own customers list.

2: Open up a Constantcontact Email service account and an Ioffer.com Email account. Ask your best customers to join those lists and start promoting your self..not some body else's site.

3. Find sites that allow Ebay imports and place your stuff on as many sites as possible to increase your exposure to customers across the Web.

In addition to sites mentioned above try Webstore.com , Boocoo.com, Bidstart.com & Delcampe.com. I also think Ecrater.com would be an option for most people.

3. Advertise by using a specific sites best selling tool features and contact your customers.

Bidstart.com has the best selling tools on the web and they can import your customer informatiom from Paypal , Gmail , Hotmail and the like in a few easy steps and then...allow you to send Newspaper/Newsletter Emails to all your customers telling them about your stuff.

In a few short steps you can import your items...import your customers and start retailing ''YOURSELF'' to ''YOUR'' customers.

Delcampe , Webstore & Boocoo will import your listings as well.

4. Create your own website and start paying zero commision fees as soon as you do.

5. After all of that..have a programmer create a software Package that ends an item on all site whenever it sells on one site.
I used a young programmer from http://www.addiscode.com/ to do this.

Then you will be in control of your online business.

Last..grab a bag of popcorn and watch Bonanza burn into dust.

by: AC_in_Mich This user has validated their user name.

Sat Sep 1 11:33:16 2012

@scview

Good advice

This user has validated their user name. by: Anonymous Annie

Sat Sep 1 13:32:05 2012

Imagine how successful Bonanza would have been if they only advertized HALF as much as those insane ''Beezid'' commercials.

by: marcellina This user has validated their user name.

Sat Sep 1 21:30:29 2012

Bonanzle, Bonanza, Bags Bonanza, Fashion Exchange, Background Burner, etc. These guys are masters at coming up with useless, boneheaded ideas. They have one of the most loyal, hardworking, generous group of sellers you'll ever see assembled on one venue and they've just given them all the finger.
Sure Mark, we're all going to pay you to list our items on Ebay because we love selling on Ebay so much and we need your assistance!!!
Good advice scview, thank you much!

by: Dazzle This user has validated their user name.

Sat Sep 1 23:24:50 2012

WTF???  your kidding right - s*&^ now I'll have to move all my listing again OFF Bonanza - thanks for nothing guys and I gotta rmember to yank my subscription - ridiculous

1 2 3 4  [Next Page]