Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Fri Oct 8 2021 19:38:02

Should eBay Share Buyers' Offers with Other Sellers?

If a rival eBay seller rejects a buyer's offer on an item similar to yours, should you be able to swoop in and try to sell them yours?

A recent eBay patent filing describes a system whereby the marketplace could take information about a buyer's offer that was turned down by one seller and send information about it to other sellers who had similar items for sale. The idea is that those sellers could then send an offer to the original buyer, knowing what the buyer was willing to pay.

"Offer Recommendations for Unsuccessful Buyers" describes the patent as follows (excerpt):

"An offer recommendation system determines that an offer submitted for a listing posted to an online marketplace was unsuccessful. The offer recommendation system identifies a similar listing posted to the online marketplace and transmits a notification message to the seller that posted the similar listing. The notification message identifies the amount of the unsuccessful offer."

Farther down, eBay explains:

"For example, a seller may provide the unsuccessful buyer with an offer to purchase an alternate item that the unsuccessful buyer may simply accept to complete the purchase. Further, the seller may offer the alternate item to the unsuccessful buyer for the same amount offered by the unsuccessful buyer for the primary item.

An image included with the patent shows a flow chart with the following steps:

- Determine that an offer submitted for a primary item was unsuccessful.

- Identify alternate items based on the primary item.

- Transmit notification messages to sellers of the alternate items identifying the amount offered for the primary item.

As a seller, how would you feel about eBay providing information about offers you've rejected from buyers with other sellers?

And on the flip side, would you appreciate being able to make offers to buyers whose offers to another seller was rejected, so you could swoop in and try to make the deal, knowing what the buyer was willing to pay?

And, as a buyer, how would you feel about receiving unsolicited offers for items at the price you had been willing to pay from another seller?

Perminate Link for Should eBay Share Buyers' Offers with Other Sellers?   Should eBay Share Buyers' Offers with Other Sellers?

by: ValueAddedResource This user has validated their user name.

Fri Oct 8 19:54:17 2021

Filed on April 1, 2020....how appropriate. :) The idea that eBay could ever pull something like this off on a technical level is a very worthy April Fool's Day joke.

by: HappyOne This user has validated their user name.

Fri Oct 8 21:45:08 2021

Oh what could go wrong with this ?
As a buyer I do not want other sellers sending me offers on “similar’ items. Based on Ebay’s current search results items would not be anything like what I want.
As a seller do I really want turned down low ball buyer offers sent to me. I can see buyers having “not as described” issues on my item vs the original item if sold.

by: Geetar This user has validated their user name.

Sat Oct 9 10:22:15 2021

Time and time again, I chose not to join these ridiculous scheme's. I do not, and will never do make offer, join that stupid send watcher offer, or whatever it is. My price is my price, if it's too high, dont buy it. I folded out of intl. shipping about 3-4 years ago. Yes, I probably am loosing out on biz. "never know what I could have had". And thats ok. I dont want to think about it, and thats it. Out of sight out of mind. If it gets to the point where I'm not making money on ebay I will pack up my tent.  My time is worth money, and if I dont make the money for the time.....

90% of my items are under $50. and probably 80% are under $40. So to have to go thru all that to make one sale seems like a huge waste of time. Besides those schemes seem to drag the bottom of the bottom of the dregs of ebay....you know the ones that look for something so you give it to them for free?

With that said, look at this article. Are they serious? "Providing the unsuccessful buyer with an offer to purchase an alternate item for the same amount the unsuccessful user offered for the primary increases that likelihood that the offer will be accepted by the unsuccessful user."

Some one got paid at ebay to come up with this?

by: Snapped This user has validated their user name.

Sat Oct 9 10:25:31 2021

That’s just the ticket.  Enable their special needs bots with the ability to spew more haphazardly programmed and undesirably intrusive eMails into their reportedly stressed bandwidth.  It’s not like they could go haywire - it’s been like, what, 48 hours or so since that happened?

Instead, while still keeping their jam it in your face approach, under a banner explaining the reluctance of the original seller to take a swing at their lowball, eBay could display items to that buyer from sellers already established as willing to entertain offers (many are not), and who’s item attributes exactly match, with price point at or below that offered by the buyer, or above if none, sorted by those price points.  Let the buyer choose to proceed; it was their offer.

On second thought, that may be too many if/then nodes for eBay to integrate unchaotically.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Sat Oct 9 11:38:57 2021

OFF TOPIC:

Just got this from eBay:

Hello aircraft-tools,

We’re following up to let you know that, unfortunately, your eBay listings have been taken down because some additional details are still needed on your account. We understand this is inconvenient and we’re here to help you get selling again as soon as possible.

Here’s what happened

Now that eBay manages payments, sellers need to update their account information to continue to sell and get paid. You can learn more about this change here.

Since your account hasn’t been updated yet, your items have been taken down and associated listing fees have been credited to you. You can find details on the listings that were ended below.

Here's what you should do

Just update your account information so eBay can manage payments - it’ll only take a few minutes

Once that’s done, you can relist your items from your Unsold folder and start selling again.

Update your account

Here is some additional information about how eBay keeps your account and payment information safe.

We hope you’ll continue selling on eBay and we’re here to help. If you have questions or concerns, you can contact us.

We appreciate you being part of our eBay seller community.

They ended 82 listings of unique items, now I have to decide where I want to relist them. . . .hmmm

by: WaLK-aWAY This user has validated their user name.

Sat Oct 9 12:07:59 2021

This shoddy laughable relic of an ecommerce platform still has as life pulse? Haha

ONE thing that made me leave ultimately (barring of course the mangled payments scheme) - was the fact that eBay thinks you have all the time in the world to augment/reformat all your hours of listing hundreds and hundreds of items - only to be met with some new edict on HOW to list, WHEN to list and WHERE to list it. Sorry. TOO MUCH work involved, TOO MUCH fraud involved, and way way way TOO MICRO-MANAGED.

I'm not one of them cats who "Threatened" to leave with empty rhetoric. I DID just that three months ago. Been on since '98. "Whatever"........

TONS of junk laying about the house that will need a new venue - but guess what? One WILL be coming around the corner soon . This time i'll guarantee it.
My Space died and was bigger than the world in its day . . . . . So will Ebay. You can count on it. The countdown has already begun . . . . . . . . . .

by: AddyUp This user has validated their user name.

Sat Oct 9 12:11:44 2021

This is not much different to how things used to be.

You saw an item like yours that's ended and then you emailed all the losing bidders your item number.

by: Silver Ice King This user has validated their user name.

Sat Oct 9 15:20:20 2021

Just another desperate attempt to make ebay look better with another worthless patent.

The major problem i see once again is Ebays bots ability to actually compare the items and understand the little differences between an item made from solid gold and an item that is gold plated.  As a buyer I do not want my mailbox filled with more emails for things i have zero interest in because the program is not able to compare apples and oranges, let alone a reprint of a high  value baseball card vs the real item.

by: toastedmutt This user has validated their user name.

Sat Oct 9 15:21:32 2021

As a buyer I would be thoroughly P.O.'d at receiving messages from sellers I never contacted, never bought from, never looked at their particular item listing, their feedback, their shipping schedule, or location. NOPE, I would not be a happy camper.

I understand the desire and need to sell merchandise but to drive more buyers away from the site by harassing them with messages from sellers they probably don't want to deal with is not good business.

by: toastedmutt This user has validated their user name.

Sat Oct 9 15:23:53 2021

How many potential buyers would be willing to take the time (waste the time) vetting the seller who sent them an unrequested offer?

by: Opalie This user has validated their user name.

Sun Oct 10 00:44:24 2021

I guess it's only as bad as their current process of showing buyers a same or similar item at a lower price AFTER they purchase.

@tool

Why did they take down your listings? I thought you were already IN their misManaged Payments?

by: SoniaD This user has validated their user name.

Sun Oct 10 09:30:45 2021

@Opalie @tool

My question too.  Although I think I recall tool posting that he had one account still unshackled to MP.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Sun Oct 10 09:38:16 2021

@Opalie

We have (3) accounts

2 are in managed payments, the 3rd I refused to join, it finally caught up with me.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Sun Oct 10 12:08:21 2021

So eBay is actively removing items from it's website.

How can this be good in any way shape or form.

So eBay makes less money and has less to offer it's customers.

What college educated person came up with this????

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Sun Oct 10 14:02:58 2021

Boy, they're just Wringin' it Out......
Ebay will look like a juiced out insect after the spider gets finished with it...

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Sun Oct 10 21:20:23 2021

Tool - it’s about control over you as a seller as much or more the it is the money.

“You WILL” obey or “get destroyed”

This from the nice people at the “we are just a venue” mafia.

by: Silver Ice King This user has validated their user name.

Sun Oct 10 21:54:01 2021

@tool

What college educated person came up with this????

They are stupidly still following Wenigs plan when Mangled Payments was first announced.  Wenig pronounced that if they wanted to sell on his platform they would do it his way or not at all as there were plenty of sellers to replace the disgruntled.  Even as he was watching Mangled Payments flop compared to all of the original projections, he maintained that ebay could just continue to extract more and more money from less sellers by digging deeper and deeper into the remaining sellers pockets, which is exactly what ebay continues to try.

Ebay still refuses to admit that there may still be many sellers to replace those that left, but they are losing access to most of the items that seller had listed on ebay.  As i remember last quarter they not only had fewer sellers than before but finally had to delay the quarters results so they could come up with spin on both the loss of buyers and the Steiners lawsuit.

Anybody want lay odds on Ebay once again delaying 3rd quarter results so they can come up with another spin for unexpected negative impacts on their results?

This user has validated their user name. by: Bill

Sun Oct 10 23:57:54 2021

I still have my account of 22+ years on eBay even though they had me quit selling because I would not join MP.
I still use it to source items and supplies for my other sites and every time I log in they bombard me with pop-ups trying to get me to sell again and it is getting very annoying.
They could be driving away buyers with that crap also and is just another testament that the sight is run by a bunch of morons.

by: 4yourinfo This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 11 00:04:40 2021

This is a patent? How about post the offer across the web. So is every option that eBay has send an offer respond to an offer is that all patented? As a buyer I wouldn't want my offer necessarily to go out to every seller - what if I sent a lower offer elsewhere? Now this seller sees I'm really willing to pay more? It's basically when you send an offer it's going or may go to multiple sellers not exactly sure how you can patent something like that. They are just making it sound more complicated than reality it's putting a bid out there for anyone to grab

by: Mazdaman This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 11 00:07:24 2021

What Geetar, Silver Ice King and others have said!

And eBay actually PAYS someone in the company to dream up these ways to further destroy their reputation.

Wow.