Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Tue July 11 2017 14:47:08

eBay Comes Clean about Recent Changes

eBay continues to make changes that impact users outside of the two major seller updates announced already this year, and unfortunately it's leaving users in the dark. eBay finally addressed some of these changes in a blog post published by Bob Kupbens, head of Seller Experience (pictured), on Tuesday.

While acknowledging sellers need time to adapt to impactful changes, Kupbens provided a reason for making changes outside of the Spring and Summer Seller Updates: "continuous innovation."

While that may explain the "small-scale tests" eBay undertakes to "evaluate new platform capabilities," it doesn't explain why eBay didn't tell sellers about the changes once they had grown into larger-scale tests or permanent policies:

"As your partner at eBay, we aim to consolidate impactful changes that may require action on your part into seasonal seller updates so you have time to adapt - our spring and summer updates are examples.

"At the same time, we are a company of continuous innovation, and we regularly evaluate new platform capabilities. These typically start with small-scale tests, and when we see positive results that benefit buyers and sellers, we want to bring these new features to the broader ecosystem right away."

The lack of communication extends to eBay's own customer service reps. That makes things confusing for sellers (and in some cases, buyers) when they encounter a test or change in policy and contact the company for clarification, but are unable to receive clear answers.

Kupbens' post comes 3 days after we blogged about the most recent concern we heard from eBay users: Immediate Payment Required is no longer optional if listings meet certain conditions - it had always been an optional requirement. (Kupbens said it was a test eBay was running.)

The EcommerceBytes blog post, titled "eBay Furtively Changes Payments Policy," may have conveyed to eBay management the way such changes come across to sellers. Having to adjust to a major change to payments policy is difficult enough, but deducing it after hearing reports from buyers rather than hearing it from eBay itself is frustrating - and that's just one example.

Sellers who want more information about changes taking place on eBay should read the post. For example, Kupbens addressed the change to Best Offer, which we recently blogged about, and he updated sellers about Promoted Listing Ads and Product Reviews.

There were several issues Kupbens did not address that were described in the following EcommerceBytes Blog posts:

"eBay Hides Item Descriptions from Shoppers" (link to blog post) - Shoppers viewing a listing must now often click on a link in order to read the seller's description.

"eBay Hampers Sales Due to Messaging Crackdown" (link to blog post) - Sellers are dealing with the fallout from a crackdown on messages sent through the eBay messaging system.

Kubpens did allude to the latter crackdown: "Also starting this month for the small group of sellers who repeatedly violate important eBay policies like completing transactions outside of eBay checkout, their active listings will be suppressed from search and browse results in line with selling restrictions." But he provided no answers to the questions raised by sellers who say they are being warned or even suspended without cause.

Be sure to pay close attention to the other parts of his post under the section, "We've also taken a few steps recently to benefit the marketplace," and let us know what you think.

Perminate Link for eBay Comes Clean about Recent Changes   eBay Comes Clean about Recent Changes

by: JWsax This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 13 09:02:31 2017

Count me as a 17 year powerseller who currently is doing NO selling on ebay while I cultivate other platforms. And it is going very well, if I use ebay anymore it will be to drive traffic towards direct contact and a quality experience no longer possible for both parties on ebay in many cases and due solely to failures on the part of ebay itself.

by: Small Guy This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 13 10:23:53 2017

Ebay continues to hide behind a shield of anonymity via the technology of the Internet.  If Ebay staff had to deal with customers face-to-face, they would never attempt some of the things they do.

Technology allows them to ignore complaints and kick the can down the road, across the road, and through the culvert... and issue another Press Release to justify and explain their actions.

I wonder what they think when they read comments like those shown in this blog.  Obviously, they are conditioned to write them off as meaningless noise that does not have any consequence to their operations.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 13 10:55:35 2017

I'd LOVE to see some "innovation" from my "partner", but so far (since 1998) I havent seen any - BESIDES GSP (which seems to sorta work for me but does NOT for some others here).

Ive gotten VERO'd for some of the most bizzare, outrageous things - things that are outright in opposition to US trade law - only to have my partner tell me "we dont even bother to look at the complaints, we dont care if they are real or not, we dont care who you are, we dont care about your record OR your proof - too d@mn bad - go work it out with the "rightsholder" .... some partner. Even after I WON the disagreement(s) eBay refused to back down and sanction the rightsholders for lying, and worse gave them Premium level stores so that they could kill ALL the small dealers of those brands.  Some Partner.

I've had buyers return things for the most outrageous reasons .. "its not white". The company only makes black, brown and white - so if its NOT white - is it black or brown ..?  "no it just wasnt white". Geez.

Mostly, my partner let people return used items, broken items, incomplete items and told me STFU ... "you said you take RETURNS" ... gee - I didnt think my partner would let me get ripped off. Guess my partner doesnt care. (Had to go no returns to stop some of that).

eBay sadly has beaten "this horse" (sellers) to the point of exhaustion. There IS no more to give. And, no matter what people here say (ie whether they agree with me on certain points or NOT) they are all good sellers, people who care about their customers and thier business/reputations and deserve better then the lies that eBay tells people.

Sad.

by: Scotty This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 13 12:08:28 2017

eBay is like the ''partner'' or spouses I am seeing with my friends and their pending divorces.  Many things got them together in the beginning (all good)....then there was a mix of good/bad....then it tilted more towards the bad with some sprinklings of good (most were still together at this point due to the ''kids'' being a buffer between them....THEN....the kids moved out permanently and they could do nothing but look at each other and see all the BAD things....each individual reached their tolerance point with the BAD and....hence the divorce.
This is what eBay is doing to sellers...they are removing all the GOOD things and we are forced to confront the BAD and realize...this ''partner'' is not out for our best interests.
Divorce is next.

by: Tiffee Jasso This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 13 13:13:22 2017

I had a questions on measurements that were in title as well as several for information that is in my description. I am wondering if Ebay is not showing all of title to mobile users?

This user has validated their user name. by: blueribbon1844

Fri Jul 14 10:32:58 2017

Sellers should get their fees back for the entire time Scambay was Beta testing our LIVE listings. This is just disgusting, unethical, shameful, etc.

#firewenig

by: CNYC This user has validated their user name.

Sat Jul 15 12:08:01 2017

Another one, 16 years and non-renewing an anchor store come December.  I have about 20% of the store moved to other venues and just that small amount has doubled our income.  I may actually be able to re-hire the employees we had to let go when eBay shot down by 67%

But, on a better note, we are killing it on other sites.  We had stuff on eBay at below cost to clear out and still could not make a sale or even get views. We finally caved an went elsewhere - low and behold, views and sales at double and triple the price!!

This user has validated their user name. by: RKTOYS

Sun Jul 16 07:59:53 2017

This is why I refuse to pay a listing fee.  I think my limits are up to 1200 and $49K but I never break 50 per month outside of a promotion.  It's just not worth paying for nothing.  If I had that money to burn, I wouldn't be selling on eBay.

by: strife This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jul 16 13:37:43 2017

@pace360

Think bigger. With a product line like "Hunter" with their long reputaion of quality and their top notch brand recognition, the last thing you need is ebay. You can sell those on your own site with little to no effort or money spent on marketing. Just get on the manufacturers site in the list of dealers and you'rem off to the races.

You've been handed a gift. I'd kill to have that product line and endorsement from the manufacturer!

by: strife This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jul 16 13:40:09 2017

@mjw2366

Wow, you must have really stepped in it. I've done everything short of threatening to kill those pricks and not been banned for more than a couple days.

Your easy answer is new profile coming in from behind a VPN. end of issue.

by: strife This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jul 16 14:11:51 2017

@jester

With all due respect sir/madam...Go Pound Salt!

We want the truth, nothing more.

You admit to me that you are hiding my items or that you are guilty of Tortious Interference on a constant and ongoing basis. Admit to me that, despite what your propaganda machine expects us to believe, you have stacked the deck so utterly and entirely against me that I simply cannot win. These things I know to be true but I want to hear them and with that be able to hold ebay accountable and responsible and then make logical decisions based on entered fact not just what I know to be true.

People like you nauseate me. With all that ebay has done to harm sellers right there under your nose, you have the nerve to even insinuate that the people are somehow to blame or that we wouldn't be happy unless we get our own way.

I don't know how old you are but a great many of us are not the spoiled, shiftless, millennial, snowflakes that expect everything handed to them with no effort or work required. We simply demand to be told the truth, to actually have access to a level playing field, as we are told we have, where success will be based on merits and OUR hard work will be rewarded with success.

Some of us have decades of experience and we know when we are being sold a bill of goods.

Why not just leave you say? Because that same drive and determination that has led to our past successes many times comes with a feeling that we need to fight for what is right and just so that we will continue to prosper and so that those who do not have the skills to lead that charge can at least throw in with support and reap some of the benefits.

The alternative is to do nothing, head down in shame, slink away like the rabble/noise that ebay wants us to feel like. Tell the world that it is ok to behave in this fashion, to lie, cheat and steal if you are a big enough bully that people will believe that you are too big to retaliate against.

No,  that is not the answer and for every person that thinks they can do nothing and that the fight is not worth it or for every person like you who would cast dispersion on the downtrodden a little bit of what is good and right and just in our world dies and painful and meaningless death!

Regards

by: JQ This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 18 20:38:16 2017

CNYC> "eBay is not showing people your items, it is a dinosaur and they do not want to tell you its broken because they collect a lot of fees.  How many would pay if they knew that regular, good selling stock would get only 1-2 views in 30 days versus a long history of 75-120 views in the same time period prior to the eBay crash?  Not many, thats why they will not come clean."

Very well stated. This is my experience EXACTLY! My sales have crashed 80% over the last three years despite continued excellent service and lower prices. My eBay store did not crash and burn because of my own efforts. It was burned down around me by eBay management through the action of corporate policies never made known to eBay's customers, their community of small sellers. Those sellers were the ones who built eBay into the industry giant it was for over a decade, and eBay's clueless management has by and large driven them off the site.

Even though eBay made up a fairly large and positive part of my life from 2001 to 2014, I will be extremely happy when I see it file for bankruptcy, or see it bought by an outside group and the entire management staff marched out their offices supervised by security guards.

1 2 3