Wed July 8 2020 20:12:09

Amazon to Display Seller Names and Addresses in September

Amazon will begin displaying sellers' business name and address on their Amazon.com seller profile page, the company said on Wednesday. The new practice will go into effect on September 1, 2020.

Amazon said for individuals, it would display individuals' name and address.

An Amazon spokesperson provided EcommerceBytes with the following statement:

"Over the years, we have developed many ways for sellers to share more about their business, including through features like the seller profile pages, "Store" pages for brand owners, and Handmade "Maker Profile" pages. These features help customers learn more about sellers' businesses and their products. Beginning September 1, we will also display sellers' business name and address on their Amazon.com seller profile page to ensure there is a consistent baseline of seller information to help customers make informed shopping decisions."

In an email sent to sellers, Amazon said the practice is consistent with seller profile pages in Amazon stores in Europe, Japan, and Mexico.

Many sellers applauded the move. "It is about time," wrote one seller. "The fact that sellers can hide behind a Seller Name has always baffled me."

But many sellers also voiced a range of questions and concerns with the new practice. A seller pointed to a profile on the UK where the practice is already in force, showing that the "Business name" is the entity that owns the account, which may be different from the "Display name" (store name).

Home-based businesses were particularly concerned about the marketplace publishing their names and home addresses. One seller said they were concerned about "lunatic customers and evil competitors."

Media outlets picked up the story and said the move was likely made due to pressure on marketplaces to fight counterfeit goods. The Washington Post (owned by Amazon founder and CEO Jeff Bezos) wrote, "Listing names and address could curb sales of dangerous and counterfeit items, and comes less than three weeks before CEO Jeff Bezos will testify before Congress."

In January, we wrote about a US Department of Homeland Security report that included a list of "Best Practices for E-Commerce Platforms and Third-Party Marketplaces."

Numbers 8 and 9 on the list were "Pre-Sale Identification of Third-Party Sellers" and "Establish Marketplace Seller ID."

The report was titled, "Combating Trafficking in Counterfeit and Pirated Goods Report to the President of the United States" and was dated January 24, 2020.

Given the administration's stance along with Amazon's new policy, sellers may be left wondering if other marketplaces such as eBay and Etsy will be next.

Perminate Link for Amazon to Display Seller Names and Addresses in September   Amazon to Display Seller Names and Addresses in September

by: COVID-19 This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jul 8 21:11:38 2020

Bullshit excuse by Amazon.  Since when has Jeff Bozos ever played nice with Don Trump?

by: MichaelP This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 9 03:10:08 2020

This is invasion of my privacy and it will bring unintended consequences. Like the vast majority of sellers, I don't sell counterfeit or pirated goods, but if I did, anyone aware of this could simply notify the marketplace, who will then have my personal information handy. No need to post my information publicly. What is a buyer going to do with that information anyway? Few will take the time to research the person they are buying from.

By lowering the barrier for identification of competing sellers, there will be an increase of cases of harassment. Presumably a seller's store could be found with a simple Google search. I don't want my Aunt Elaine knowing that every book she gives me each Christmas is up for sale on Amazon within hours. I don't want anyone who searches my name to know exactly what I'm selling and how much.

by: cvsharkey This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 9 06:28:33 2020

Fat lot of good a name in Chinese & an address in Wuhan will do you.

by: TDAKS This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 9 07:30:03 2020

This seller would be really happy to have his address revealed.
Platinum Solitaire Diamond Engagement Ring
$75,960.00

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 9 07:56:17 2020

The company name and address appears on the packing slip.  I don't understand why the outrage from sellers.  You also print out postage with your name and address....so what's the difference?

by: HappyPicker This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 9 08:28:43 2020

@Chicago48, at the time you are printing a packing slip you've already made a sale and you are contacting with a paying customer.  I've sent packing slips for years with my company name, personal name and address to my customers.

My problem is having my personal info posted on the site for non-customers. I work from home and don't want to expose my name and address to the non-buying public that may only be interested in removing my inventory, me and anything else of interest in my home. If the public or government needs to know who I am and where I live, all they have to do is contact Amazon (or any other site with this crazy idea) who has all that information.

by: FH991586 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 9 09:43:46 2020

So we'll finally know beforehand from where the item is shipped!  Because right now this information isn't mandatory, and you can't always tell if it will cross an ocean while en route.  That's a big help for deciding which seller to choose from when there are many options!

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Thu Jul 9 10:19:56 2020

WOW 2020

As eBay tries to be Amazon, Amazon moves towards being like the old eBay!

I woke up in the wrong dimension

by: Disgusted This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 9 11:06:32 2020

I would like to know where the seller ships from.  Is it in my state or across the country?  Delivery times effected by that.

by: purpleiris This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 9 22:18:17 2020

While, as a consumer, I would like to know where an item is being shipped from and from which country it's being sold, I don't need that much detail. Simply showing the state and/or country is just fine by me.

What they need to be doing is verifying the information a seller is providing. There are so many Chinese sellers shipping from warehouses in places like Michigan and California who blatantly lie about where the items originated.

That's the kind of information that needs to be detailed prior to a sale -- where the seller is actually located; not just where the items are being shipped from. Beyond that, if I need to contact a seller at their address (ie, when returning something), I should be able to get that information from the packing slip.

I agree that a level of anonymity is required when selling online. It's much easier for a competitor to target other sellers online and get away with it than it is to target a brick-and-mortar shop. There aren't any cameras to take snapshots of the virtual rocks thrown through virtual windows.

So, it's difficult enough trying to protect one's business from electronic and virtual pests without unnecessary details being plastered all over the internet.

by: jimcooncat This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jul 12 09:50:23 2020

They really should have made it mandatory for pro sellers and optional for individual sellers. I'm a pro seller and am happy to pay for a PO box for my business address. Sorry for the hobby sellers, they are important too.

by: RL15 This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jul 12 11:43:00 2020

I agree with jimcooncat, just get a PO Box. use the post office address with your box number.