Wed July 24 2019 22:27:57

Sellers Bewildered by Etsy Dashboard Changes

Etsy sellers were forced to play the, "is it a bug or is it intentional" game after logging in to their dashboards this weekend and seeing major changes to the Recent Activity section. Etsy apparently removed product thumbnails of recently favorited listings so it's impossible to see at a glance what items are being liked by shoppers.

Seller comments included:

"The dashboard has become more and more worthless. They took away the "Available for Depost" figure a few weeks ago and now the thumbnail images are missing from the favorite items which makes this section also unusable because I do not have the time to click on each favorite to see, what's going on. A while back they also took away the thumbnails from custom order request messages. This way you always have to make an extra effort to find out, which item customers are actually contacting you from."

and

"Each dashboard change has made it harder to find the information I care about as a seller. The recent changes are especially hard to understand. It used to be easy to see which items were getting orders and feedback. Not so easy now since the images have switched to faces of buyers instead of products."

An Etsy moderator said the change was made to make the site more accessible for sellers with visual impairment or low vision. But how the image of the buyer who favorited an item is easier to see than the product image (or why a seller would want to see a buyer's face in their dashboard) is puzzling.

Sellers also noted this week that Etsy made changes to the Stats section. Before the thread was locked, some sellers expressed dissatisfaction with those changes as well, but one seller said the changes to Stats now had more important information than the dashboard had ever had - "Leave the dashboard, everything you need is in stats and its getting better as time moves today. Nicely done actually,..." and said, "Quick views for all info even breaks down traffic sources way better than before in the tired dashboard."

The Etsy moderator closed a 36-page thread in the Bugs forum, writing the following:

"As I mentioned in my previous post, your feedback about this change is very important to us. The teams involved in this change have been reviewing your thoughts and will keep them in mind as we move forward with the site.

"Please note that we've been working to make Etsy more accessible to all sellers and adjusting the Shop Advisor section is a step towards better accessibility for seller's with visual impairment or low vision.

"Since this change was intended and not a bug, I'll be closing this thread."

Tell us what changes you're seeing on Etsy and what you think of them.

Perminate Link for Sellers Bewildered by Etsy Dashboard Changes   Sellers Bewildered by Etsy Dashboard Changes

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Thu Jul 25 02:32:28 2019

Etsy is going downhill FAST.
DISABLING is the word for this.
HOBBLING is the word for this.
A mental GIMP is at the helm.
Sue Etsy.

This user has validated their user name. by: Life During Wartime

Thu Jul 25 08:00:50 2019

I'm not sure why Etsy believes its sellers have low vision or impairments?  How would that work for artists, designers, artisans and vintage dealers?  I've read discussions in the Etsy Forums about sellers who do everything for their shops with their smart phones.  Maybe they are thinking of the resellers who only have to select products from a wholesale site and upload copies of the photos used by the wholesale source, and add the MSRP.  Some of them do seem to be challenged by the listing process since they either copy their descriptions from the wholesale site, or use descriptions of 5 words or less, one or two word titles, and 3 tags.  But that is a literacy issue, not a visual impairment.

There is nothing about having vision issues that might be helped by seeing an image of a community member's avatar instead of the product sold.

This seems like a fabrication to cover up what is changing and why.  My guess would be that Etsy is being redesigned to function more like a venue would be in the home country of Etsy's potential new owners.

by: pwk82 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 25 09:56:04 2019

I used to see the sales, favoriter, restock requests etc. at the first glance (thanks to the small graphic icons). Now I can not. It may sound trivial, but it was important to me.

I think the new dashboard is much less friendly now. I do not like it at all.

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Thu Jul 25 10:01:53 2019

Ebay got weird, Etsy was born.
Etsy is getting weird, WE NEED A NEW VENUE ! ! !
HELLOOOOO ! ! ! ! !

This user has validated their user name. by: Life During Wartime

Thu Jul 25 11:18:36 2019

The End, I hear you.  But it's not really that simple, otherwise there would be at least a handful of new venues opening to pick up the handmade banner.

Etsy opened at the start of a trend (predicted years before) favoring artisan handmade.  The trend has passed.  Even though there will always be some demand for artisan and artist wares, it's not enough right now to support a venue with a lot of shoppers.  Without the reseller shops, Etsy would be less than half its current size.  Actually, without the reseller shops and listings, Etsy would be closed.

Vintage and handmade should never have been sold on the same site without some serious category structure to serve them both.  In current EtsySpeak, ''handmade'' means mass manufactured in China, and ''vintage'' means maybe handmade in a retro style or using some materials no longer being produced.  A majority of listings on Etsy are deceptive about what is for sale, in some way.

For a few years now, I've had the $$$ to invest in a start up venue.  But the demand isn't there.  I'd be throwing my money away, and I won't do that.  I considered investing in ArtYah, but the owners allowed resellers -- they hadn't a clue how to recognize them.  I expect someone with a plan to open a venue to bring something to the table other than ''I support artisans'' and ''Etsy isn't what it was''.

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Thu Jul 25 11:54:49 2019

Ya, Ya, Ya,.....
WE NEED A NEW AMERICAN VENUE NOW ! ! !
NO PAYPAL !
NO CORPORATE INTERFERENCE !

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Thu Jul 25 11:57:46 2019

Please, No More "Cline Bottle" thought patterns from the gallery.....

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Thu Jul 25 11:58:42 2019

"Klein Bottle".....

by: SammyCat This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 25 13:23:27 2019

How on earth can not having a quick photo to look at help the 'visually impaired'  just more BS from tech needing to justify their pathetic existence.

What good could this do and why on earth would they do such a stupid thing?

It always helps them, but this?

by: maxmad This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 25 16:01:26 2019

Etsy most likely have people that are doing anything, do something, do whatever to keep their jobs, but they are blind to the negative consequences it causes

They just don't realize how bad it is for business, people just hate these completely useless unnecessary changes, no mater what, even a simple change of the color of a link is a detraction causing many customers to go off the deep end.

ebay did this for quite a while, it drove people nuts,

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Thu Jul 25 16:32:48 2019

I spoke to a REAL Etsy employee the other day.
Spoke about the New Stupid Recent Activity window.
I got the silent treatment.
Shunned.
DISRESPECTED.
NEW VENUE NOW ! ! !

by: SammyCat This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 25 21:30:34 2019

For anyone ready to make the leap to their own e-commerce website, I would strongly recommend a company called Bravehost (I have no affiliation with them) been using their offerings since 2006 and I've had nothing but great results.

Their e-commerce is so easy to set up a secure website using drag and drop and its cheap too.  You can set up shipping zones, no commission, small monthly fee, different forms of payment - you do what you want, how you want, when you want.

It looks very chic and you can run a blog and other things off there, and there is integration for other things too.

They have a 2 week trial period which, in my opinion is plenty of time to get things up and running.  I tried Spotify and it was waaaaay too complicated, and unnecessarily so.

Anyways, its an idea and its always good to have a back up plan and to be promoting your own stuff from your own site.

by: Whatever This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 25 22:12:22 2019

for me Etsy has become irrelevant - when my listings expire in August and I'm down to just a few - I'll be gone as a seller and a buyer

by: purpleiris This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 25 23:39:52 2019

@Whatever...I was going to let mine expire, too. Not only did I JUST renew several dozen of them, but I copied them into new listings in the hopes they would get a boost in search, internally and externally.

So, it was a very difficult decision to choose that moment to just deactivate everything and add an announcement. ''That moment'' being after seeing the ''seller churn'' comment.

The fact that I would do that just goes to show how irrelevant they are to me, too. Especially now that I have had so many AHA moments as I discover more disturbing info about them.

by: Redlion This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jul 26 00:32:45 2019

How do I feel about Etsy???

When I found out they will be taking over Reverb I resigned myself to the fact that a website that already has a multitude of problems (Reverb), just got a whole lot more of them.

by: Twilight Faerie This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jul 26 01:34:09 2019

A new venue just opened  Baroqoo. Admin responds quickly, looks clean and is affordable. I’m giving them a whirl along with promoting on Facebook and Instagram, Pinterest
If Artyah comes back live again in September as Admin says it will, I will list with them as well. Churning away..,,

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Fri Jul 26 03:24:24 2019

Another PayPal plant......
Not interested.....

by: rover This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jul 26 03:29:33 2019

Etsy is continually working hard at alienating its sellers by re-arranging the deckchairs before the iceberg hits.

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Fri Jul 26 05:43:49 2019

No Wonder Etsy is stagnant.
I just saw "The Editor's Picks".
ALL GARBAGE.

by: hawk This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jul 26 06:39:46 2019

they keep doing this useless garbage to keep sellers minds off of the money their stealing from phony shipping fees that they don't deserve and the so called promoted listings fees. what a joke that is.

1 2 3  [Next Page]