Mon Apr 29 2019 12:49:42

Packing Slip or Stripped? Tell Us How You Send Your Orders

Packing slip or stripped? Consider this an unofficial poll - should sellers include packing slips inside their orders or not? Do you feel strongly one way or the other?

The issue captured our attention when we saw sellers debating the issue on an industry board. Some sellers concerned about the environment said there was no need to put extra paper inside a package. Others said buyers - especially volume buyers - relied on the packing slip to keep track of their purchases, and they provided additional reasons to bolster their argument.

Some suggested leaving it up to the buyer, but even then, there was disagreement about which method should be the default. Should you require buyers who want a packing slip to request one, or should you require buyers who do NOT want a packing slip to opt out?

What's your preference as a buyer - and does it make a difference to you depending on the marketplace or the type of item you're purchasing?

Here's the thread that started the debate on the Etsy boards, we'd love to know what you think, and why.

Perminate Link for Packing Slip or Stripped? Tell Us How You Send Your Orders   Packing Slip or Stripped? Tell Us How You Send Your Orders

by: sellerchick This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 29 13:49:27 2019

I just think it looks more professional. I like getting them. I like to be perceived as professional as well.

by: sasikat9 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 29 13:50:29 2019

No packing slip needed for me. I'm smart enough to know what is in the package and from whom I ordered the item.

As a seller of 20 years, never once have I included a packing slip. Thats what the buying history is for.

by: FLEbaySeller This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 29 14:25:51 2019

We had stopped because customers complained often.  The issue was their spouse saw how much they paid and exactly how much they ordered.  We regularly received that complaint until we stopped.  We do include a business card and no one complains about not receiving an invoice.  We do email invoices to the purchaser, but no hard copies are included in the package.  We also have a large repeat customer base and this seems to make them happy.

by: Just Plain Irritated This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 29 14:27:48 2019

We include the invoice itself as the packing slip as some buyers will need it for IRS purposes.

Another good reason is in case the label should be torn off or damaged in some manner. If put on correctly this shouldn't happen, but it can. One never knows what the shipper will do with packages.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Mon Apr 29 14:38:48 2019

I never include a packing slip or invoice because, personally, I don't want them. It's just a waste of paper, and if I have any questions about what I purchased, I can go look at my original order online or the order confirmation I receive. Same with the people who order from my eCrater store. Every buyer is sent an order confirmation which they can match to what they receive.

by: Beth This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 29 14:46:55 2019

I'm a professional online retailer.  I include a packing slip in EVERY order regardless of who bought it or where it's going.

I've had packages returned minus almost the entire box because inside there was a packing slip.

I'm married to an over-eager compulsive buyer who can't keep track of what came and what didn't without a packing slip.

And every business I buy from, from Amazon to Zappos sends a packing slip.  Why would I not?

by: shrimpy1 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 29 15:13:46 2019

I send a packing slip with every purchase. Because I sell a lot of multiples and eBay calculator rarely gets shipping correct, I refund shipping of over payments of probably 70% of my orders. I seldom get a response from buyers saying they have received the refund, but I circle the refund on the packing slip with the date, just in case they want to complain about shipping cost.

by: DingDong This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 29 15:23:04 2019

As a Buyer :  (a former accountant.)
I want a packing slip to matching up to my charge card statement and purchase orders.

As a Seller:
I always enclose a packing slip.
* I use it to check off all the items have been packed.
* I have my other shops listed and what is in them. (inexpensive advertising)
* In case the package is damaged, they can returned the items to me or forward them to my buyer.
* I leave a ''Thank you'' note on them.

Also, I have a few hundred acres of managed forest land that will be harvested for the lumber. (Not clear cut, but selected cut). I also have it where they will go in and remove scrub brush that is process for paper every few years. This keeps the forest from bad fires. There is a few of use that have land in a certain area and we have no forest fires when 20 miles down the road that they have bad fires.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 29 16:22:04 2019

Beth said "I'm a professional online retailer. I include a packing slip in EVERY order regardless of who bought it or where it's going. " ..... and personally - I %101 agree with her.

I also enclose a 2 sided color flyer with examples of the brands I can get/have access to. I print 1000 of them each year (usually every Feb) and it lasts most of the year.

Personally, I think people like to believe (LOL) that they are dealing with a LARGE professional seller - and I think the packing list and a color flier helps ....

To each their own I guess !

This user has validated their user name. by: windsorbear

Mon Apr 29 16:23:57 2019

I include a packing slip, with a handwritten ''thank you'' written on it, with everything I ship.  If the buyer doesn't want it, then they can toss it because it is going to be in the package with the item(s).  I also cringe when I get a package and there is nothing in the package except the item.  I expect at least a ''thank you'' note or something, but prefer a packing slip.  To me, it is just common courtesy and a sense of professionalism to include a packing slip with a package.

by: AngelaTC This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 29 16:32:52 2019

I always include a packing slip.  Not including them makes you look either lazy, cheap, unprofessional or a combination of the 3.  As a buyer, I use them as part of the purchasing process, and not getting them creates headaches for me.  We try not to buy from vendors who can't be bothered.

by: sasikat9 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 29 16:37:25 2019

Guess I'm a cheap, lazy, uneducated unprofessional seller on ebay making 500,000 a year.

Still ain't sending a packing slip. To busy packing and shipping.

by: mamie14425 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 29 16:43:32 2019

For the past 16 years we have always included a packing slip.  Very professional and it sets our business apart from the sellers that don't.

by: lamplady This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 29 16:45:10 2019

I always include a copy of the Purchase order marked paid and a handwritten Thank you . I have sold antiques and collectibles for many years and always do this as a courtesy to the customer. Up to them if they want to keep it or not. I believe little things like this bring repeat customers.

by: TomH This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 29 16:48:28 2019

I include a packing slip in every package. A thank you on it and a bit of advertising.

By the way, someone mentioned Amazon including a packing slip.  Amazon requires a 3rd party seller to include a packing slip. Most do, but many do not.

Amazon does not include packing slips for items that they sell. I don't remember ever receiving a Amazon direct purchased item with a packing slip. Prime customer, buy tons of stuff.

This user has validated their user name. by: CanBrit

Mon Apr 29 17:44:16 2019

I only send one if the customer requests it. Most of mine are just 1 item packages and I include my business card and a jewelry cleaner cloth.

I think that's enough.

This user has validated their user name. by: Lightning

Mon Apr 29 17:55:22 2019

I include packing slips 100% of the time, checking off items on it if multiples, thank you message on it, color logo on it, etc.  I want the buyer to know that ebay did not sell this item to them, I did.

I have a color thumbnail of the item on the ebay slip, which also helps me when packing, seeing that I have the exact item enclosed.  Looks much more professional.  And as mentioned before, if the label comes off in the USPS munch-'em-up system, the packing slip might get it where it was supposed to go, or at least back to me.  If I find that I left the slip out, I will RE-OPEN the box to put it in.  I'm not going to do a half-a$$ed job.

When receiving, I HATE it when there is no slip.  I buy similar or EXACTLY the same item from multiple sellers.  Easy to get them confused.  So I have to walk the box over to the computer to match up the tracking or the sellers' location to know which is which.  Some people are just L-A-Z-Y.  Just my opinion, of course.

by: grumpwell This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 29 18:30:16 2019

I don't include them unless specifically asked for one. The customer has completed the transaction online and can print out any information they need on their end. I don't mind a small packing slip but excessive paper/inserts/waste will get a seller noted as to avoid in the future. There are too many sellers available for me to knowingly send my business to one that clearly is full of themselves and doesn't care about the environment.

by: Snapped This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 29 18:30:23 2019

''A thank you on it and a bit of advertising.''

There ya go; wonderful way to bypass 'direct contact' restrictions imposed by venues lately too.  And no 'power' required to aid record keeping.  It need not include cost data.

Incidentally, it also assists all parties in case the outside labeling gets obliterated.

Make a template, or handwrite if you choose.  Or simply cntrl p the venue's sales record page if time and effort are a concern.

Exception might be made for a couple dollar item sent in a stamped envelope, but then again, it can double as a loose wrap for a bit of extra padding....

by: ThisGuy This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 29 19:24:44 2019

I've been on eBay 20 years now and I have forever included a packing slip that had a hand written, personal thank you note by me or my family, personalized to that buyer's first name.

I have received numerous Positive Feedbacks and comments from buyers over the years, that said thank you in return, because they felt a human touch and personal attention to their purchase.  They didn't feel like they were a number, in other words.

Granted, I do offer more unique antiques, collectibles, vintage and OOAK items, and now average about 50 sales a month, but even when I was doing 150+ per month I made sure I always signed those packing slips with a personal note.

There are times I also might add a related, less valued collectible to a purchase for free, just to find a new home for it, or I might add some sort of "freebie" to packages for that personal touch.  I once got a bag of promo key chains from a friend for his business, and I added one to every package until they were gone.

1 2 3 4 5  [Next Page]