Tue Apr 2 2019 22:37:40

Etsy Scares Sellers with Bill Payment Email Glitch

Sellers were alarmed when Etsy sent them an email on April 1st saying it had charged their credit card or bank accounts for fees that they said they did not owe the company. It turned out Etsy did not actually bill or charge sellers' accounts this time, but it comes on the heels of an incident in February when the company did incorrectly take money from a subset of sellers' credit cards and bank accounts.

Billing and payment issues are sensitive topics for Etsy sellers as a result of some major glitches in the past, and they turned to the boards seeking answers.
One seller determined the emails were for amounts identical to her bills from October 2018. But one seller who reported getting an incorrect bill-payment notice said, "I haven't had an open shop in over 2 years!!"

"This has to be an April Fool's joke," one seller wrote. "I just got an email saying they charged $75.88 to my card but my bill was paid today and my payment account doesn't show this amount."

"Same thing happened to me," wrote another seller, who said their shop had been closed for a couple of months.

The head of payments at Etsy, Morgan Blake, posted the following announcement just after midnight:

"We're aware of a bill payment email that was sent in error to a small group of sellers in the last 12 hours. We can confirm that no sellers were incorrectly billed or charged.

"For affected sellers, we're sorry for the confusion this has caused. If you think you may have been affected, you can reference your monthly statements to see your accurate bill payment history.

"We'll also update affected sellers directly with this information."

You can find his announcement on this page of the Etsy forums.

Perminate Link for Etsy Scares Sellers with Bill Payment Email Glitch   Etsy Scares Sellers with Bill Payment Email Glitch

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Wed Apr 3 03:30:42 2019

New, decent, affordable, not greedy venue please !

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Wed Apr 3 11:57:31 2019

"New, decent, affordable, not greedy venue please !"

It's called ecrater but I realize it doesn't work for everyone.  If sellers would mobilize and buy and sell there and promote it in a grassroots fashion everyone would win.

The platform is there.  It simply needs to be promoted in a big way.

by: hopeforthebest This user has validated their user name.

Wed Apr 3 12:37:26 2019

What history has taught us is that once we all migrate to ECrater and it becomes a success it will do exactly what EBay and Etsy have done, become fat, lazy and greedy and demand more and more for less and less.

This user has validated their user name. by: RKTOYS

Wed Apr 3 12:43:05 2019

Typical H1B shovelware and IT management lacking IT skills.

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Wed Apr 3 16:49:52 2019

WOW !
Etsy STUPID BUYER ALERT ! ! !
Too many to stomach in one day.
Thank Heavens for that "Block this Person"  link.
Such a waste of life......

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Wed Apr 3 17:30:38 2019

"New, decent, affordable, not greedy venue please !"

@ Rexford :
"It's called ecrater".....

No it isn't.

I SAID , "A New, decent, affordable, not greedy venue please !"

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Wed Apr 3 21:58:37 2019

@The End - eCrater is decent, is affordable, and is not greedy. It's not new, it's been around for 11 or 12 years, but any marketplace that just starts up will probably have the proverbial growing pains.

This user has validated their user name. by: RKTOYS

Wed Apr 3 23:05:50 2019

eCrater is abandonware.  They need a bulk editor.

by: BargainzBabylon This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 4 04:05:52 2019

Etsy is turning into a higher priced version of Wish.com.  Used to love that place, too.

by: Flying Childers This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 4 05:55:18 2019

I guess this was their sick idea of an April Fools joke.

There’s money to be made in e-commerce.  At least that’s what the investors think.

What about Shark Tank?

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Thu Apr 4 06:26:13 2019

"The End", then don't use it.  It's working for us and the fees are ultra low. Not once have I had my hand slapped.  I run my show there.

Like I said, it doesn't work for everyone.  Thankfully it does work for us.  I hope that you do find something that works for you.  These companies are stressing everyone out and getting greedier by the day.

by: rover This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 4 06:33:06 2019

Just look at the MONSTER Etsy has become since the days when sellers migrated there in droves from Ebay. It speaks volumes that many of those same sellers have now gone back to Ebay with all its faults. Etsy has become a ''community'' comparable with the third reich and soviet russia

This user has validated their user name. by: RKTOYS

Thu Apr 4 08:24:41 2019

The hardest part about writing an e-commerce platform is integrating payment processors.  All of the documentation I read suggests you can't pass them credit card details directly.  They make you embed a form that they control and many like Square don't support anything but the latest Chrome.  Yet I see sites like eBay don't have to put up with that and get to use their own form.

If I could just get uncrippled access to payment processing, I'd have had my own site up years ago and it would be trivial to clone any of these marketplaces inside of a month (maybe a week for some of the lazier ones).

by: Patricia This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 4 12:49:05 2019

Yeah, they took some money out of my credit card....which I do not like since it made no sense.  Is this the way they're going to handle our money???  I may just take the few things I've got on there and leave Etsy.  They can't be trusted!

by: Alura This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 4 14:18:38 2019

I closed my shop after the February fiasco.  When I received an email that they were doing another money grab, I was livid.
I'm glad no money came out of the bank this round BUT I feel they've become something that I never wanted-which was ebay.  I left ebay for etsy.  Now I've left Etsy for ecrater.
I do like being in control but really miss the community aspect that etsy had back in the day.
Meantime I'm tempted to start my own venue.  My husband is learning code so I guess we'll see...

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Fri Apr 5 20:00:03 2019

Dear Alura,
No need to learn coding anymore.
Shopify, snipcart, Ecwid, and more .......
Search : eCommerce Shopping Cart and see what's what.
ALSO : know that if your ONLY venue is your website, you have a better chance of being placed on Page 1 or 2 in search.
If you have more than 1 revenue stream online, you'll compete with yourself if you're using the same store name.
If I leave Etsy, I could reap HUGE benefits for my Brand and my website. But older potential buyers feel safer on a "major" website,...
Etsy under estimates the damage that the receding eCommerce tide will cause them.

This user has validated their user name. by: Life During Wartime

Sat Apr 6 10:19:21 2019

"Agree with everyone that a new selling site is needed.  Where are all the millionaires and billionaires looking for a sure thing?"

Actually the only "sure thing" is that a significant migration of Etsy sellers to another venue would bring massive problems with it:  deceptive listing practices, counterfeit goods, famous brand logo and other IP pirates, and keyword misuse.

Years ago, I wanted to invest in a smaller venue based on the values of the original Etsy, but gave up on the idea when I realized how much the seller community was part of the problem.  It's a lost cause, and a waste of money.