Mon Mar 4 2019 12:28:31

Sellers Worry eBay Will Make Auctions Auto Renew

A new eBay promotion is causing concern due to a provision about automatic renewal of auction listings. eBay sent the promotion to a subset of sellers; some received the promotion containing the new provision, others received the promotion without it.

EcommerceBytes reader epuise tipped us off to the new verbiage in the new promotion (Offer: Pay no insertion fees* on 100 extra auction-style listings):

"Qualifying listings that do not sell during their first listing duration may automatically renew/relist outside of the Promotion Period, and will be subject to standard insertion fees."

Epuise said that to their knowledge, it's the first time eBay has added that provision to auction promotions. "Most bids come in last minutes. How to cancel before it relists? Especially dangerous for the Sellers w/ limited "free" listing counts."

Sellers also discussed their concerns about the new promotion on this thread on the eBay discussion boards. One seller pointed out that the provision may only apply to auctions with Buy It now: "I think this is just another case of poor wording on eBay's part, since the offer was for auction or buy it now listings. I used some of the free listings today for 7-day auctions and checked that the auto relist box is still unchecked."

But another seller said without clarification, they would not risk participating in the promotion.

Perhaps most concerning was the experience described by one seller: "I did get that auction/fixed price promo and that message had 4 bullets under restrictions & exclusions. When I activated the offer there were 7 bullets. Terms and categories changed."

Yet another seller wrote: "This is not something new ... eBay has been relisting auction-format listings automatically for some listings, for a long time. I don't think this is a hint about things to come, any more than we usually get. The disclaimer is there because automatic relisting is available now on all listing formats (auction and fixed price) if the seller wants it, and it is automatically added if the seller uses the Quick Listing tool."

Here is a link to the promotion Terms and Conditions for the promo some sellers received containing the new provision.

The discussion shows how difficult eBay is making it for sellers that they would have to waste their time trying decode what the terms of a promotion actually means - and the lack of trust sellers have in eBay's communications with sellers and its practices.

Perminate Link for Sellers Worry eBay Will Make Auctions Auto Renew   Sellers Worry eBay Will Make Auctions Auto Renew

by: notfunanymore This user has validated their user name.

Mon Mar 4 12:50:50 2019

another well thought through policy change. What a joke

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Mon Mar 4 14:00:52 2019

I haven't participated in a eBay promotion for years.  I don't like "gotchas".

by: RL15 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Mar 4 16:42:18 2019

just another scheme for fleecebay to put their grubby paws deeper into sellers pockets.

by: AngelaTC This user has validated their user name.

Mon Mar 4 17:13:26 2019

Another phenomenon I've seen is sellers who are irritated with an eBay action (Best Offer being unintentionally  activated during an during an edit, for example) getting short with buyers over it.

by: Whatever This user has validated their user name.

Mon Mar 4 17:38:08 2019

mo money mo money - gotta keep the coffers flowing for jet fuel

This user has validated their user name. by: Lightning

Mon Mar 4 19:15:49 2019

You could try a test of 5 listings, and see what ACTUALLY happens vs. speculation.  Might cost you another $1.75 if they renew.  If that croaks you, it might be that you are too close to the edge.

Speaking of croaking, whatever happened to FeelingFroggy?  Haven't seen any posts for a while.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Mon Mar 4 19:55:20 2019

@notfunanymore

It is not a policy change.  It was part of a statement in the description of an Auction promo offered to some sellers.

You actually have to check a box in the listing set up for this to happen.  It does NOT auto fill in.

by: geoffreymason This user has validated their user name.

Mon Mar 4 21:09:32 2019

Automatic listing sort of defeats the purpose of an auction, doesn't it?

by: Silver Ice King This user has validated their user name.

Tue Mar 5 01:12:15 2019

@Marie

You know as well as I and all the others do, that Ebay never does anything unless it is going to add money to their pockets. As usual that money is going to come from those listing their items for sale and then making a sale but for much less than they were listing the item for.

I cannot call them Sellers anymore as that requires a person to actually manage to sell something on here.  Everything that Ebay does anymore is strictly designed to put money in their pockets regardless of how it effects the sellers as we are still nothing but noise to them.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Tue Mar 5 02:21:55 2019

@silver
No I don't know that and No I don't agree with that statement.  I'm pretty good at speaking for myself and expressing my view on things.  Often it isn't well received here because most of the people that post here are anti Ebay.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Mar 5 10:20:34 2019

" Often it isn't well received here because most of the people that post here are anti Ebay"

Well when "your partner" spends its days scheming, plotting and planning against you ... so then yes people become "anti eBay".

Surely you cant tell me that the behavior(s) of this company over the last few years are PRO seller or even altruistic, can you ?

"By invitation only" means they are baiting you to be a test subject.

If its such a great promo - something that will help sellers - then why not offer it to everyone?

by: Silver Ice King This user has validated their user name.

Tue Mar 5 12:58:24 2019

@Marie

Fine, you are one of the very few who do not know that anything that Ebay changes is made to line their pockets regardless of the effects it has on sales.  I enjoy your posts although I also do not agree with a lot of them, never hurts to have somebody playing Devils Advocate.

I am not anti-Ebay but I am anti any business who constantly make short term money grab decisions so they can attempt to show Wall Street that they are indeed still growing when in fact they really are not growing if they showed the sales less the sale discounts as they should rather than calling the discounts marketing or advertising.

Ebay used to be 100% of my sales and although I was not a really large seller i was doing just fine.  Then they started messing with the Search Engine to try and manipulate the sales and what the buyer actually sees.  If you use a 3rd party search engine it is amazing what you can actually find on Ebay that they never show anybody.

I am Anti Devin Wenig though as he has nobody's best interest in mind but his own as he wants to be looked at as the second coming of Jeff Bezos rather than what he is, the man who has destroyed a company that was thriving and could have done so much more if he had stopped letting his ego get in the way of smart business decisions.

I would love for Ebay to get back to where Sellers get what they pay for and their listings are shown through EBays search engine 24/7/365 as they are through other search engines.  Ebay has gone from 100% of my sales down to 30% and falling with every idiotic move that Wenig makes.

This user has validated their user name. by: NoMoreEbay

Tue Mar 5 14:28:20 2019

I post here and I'm not anti-ebay. It's the people who run it and what they turned ebay into. The abuse, the never ending changes, the anti-seller polices, the corporate-speak rubbish, China, counterfeits, scams and all the rest.

All brought to you by Wenig, JD and toxic people like them. Now those folks, I hate their ever living guts.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Tue Mar 5 14:30:52 2019

@Silver Ice King

"If you use a 3rd party search engine it is amazing what you can actually find on Ebay that they never show anybody."

I've been on this forum for over 10 years!

In all that time I have been show less then 5 times a item that could be found on Google but not on eBay's s own search.

It's a RARE occasion that that happens.

If you have an example please post it so I can see it for myself.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Tue Mar 5 19:14:56 2019

Marie writes: "[M]ost of the people that post here are anti Ebay."

Nothing could be farther from the truth. What we are is anti-Devin, anti-all the small seller policies designed to ruin our businesses, anti-constant change for no reason other than to siphon off more money from sellers' pockets, anti-no protection for sellers against liar buyers, etc. I'm certainly not anti-eBay; I'm anti-the people who've been making the policies for the last 11 years.

by: Vernfern This user has validated their user name.

Wed Mar 6 08:32:15 2019

I have not been completely against the auto-renewal of fixed price listings. I see that being an issue for some and no-big-deal for others. However if eBay were to force auto relist for auction listings, I am definitely against it.

I can see an option to do this, maybe at a discounted price. I also feel having a discounted price for automatic relist of GTC / leaving manual list being a premium priced option.

Still scratching my head as to why eBay is so anti-seller while doing a major pocket-sweep from the same sellers. eBay needs to aim for the future and not quarter by quarter, but WE all seem to understand it.

This user has validated their user name. by: Lightning

Wed Mar 6 09:55:10 2019

NoMoreEbay says he is not anti-eBay.  I got a good laugh out of that.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Wed Mar 6 11:23:10 2019

Vern asked "Still scratching my head as to why eBay is so anti-seller"

Answer - because "selling" isnt job #1 at eBay - advertising is.

First they tell you not to leave listings on for a long time since they become "stale", then they have an "epiphany" that you SHOULD leave listings on for a long time aka they dont know what to do themselves - bipolar behavior.

eBay runs on 1 maxim ONLY - do what ever makes the most money for DW & and his merry band of thieves - and "the hell with sellers".

:) its not that hard to figure out!

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Mar 7 02:55:57 2019

Grasping for straws.

by: Laurie This user has validated their user name.

Thu Mar 7 08:32:23 2019

@Silver I've been selling on eBay 20 years.  You are delusional if you think eBay isn't burying everything but the 200 or so listings they think people want to see in a category at any given time.  It's been a known fact for years.  We pay for our listings to be seen 24/7/365 and in my opinion it is restraint of trade and the C-suite of eBay is all due for the Federal Prison.  But what do I know? I'm only someone who has a business degree from a top ten business school.  And I practice in legal finance every day,  I'm just an idiot.