Tue Feb 26 2019 11:36:22

New Amazon Ad Format: Mailing Product Samples

tweet from an Amazon shopper caught our eye: "Amazon's newest ad format, the physical 'sample' box, just hit my mailbox based on purchase history. Interesting if/how this scales where brands pay for the samples vs consumer $ for samples eg Birchbox cc:@natives @BenMullin @CaseyNewton @TaylorLorenz @mims"

Be sure to click through to see the picture of the box - on one side, it shows the Amazon logo and the text: "We pick samples for you based on what we think you may like." On the top of the box, it displays the Amazon logo and the text: "Free sample inside."

Unfortunately, we can't see the front of the box clearly enough to know what it contained.

Presumably the samples are consumables that brands want shoppers to experience so they will reorder them. It's the online version of grocery stores that set up stations to give away little samples of food for shoppers to try. And it could create buzz, as people go to social media to share.

Would you pay Amazon to send shoppers samples of your items? (Sounds costly.) And if you received such boxes from Amazon, would it be a delight, or an annoyance?

Perminate Link for New Amazon Ad Format: Mailing Product Samples   New Amazon Ad Format: Mailing Product Samples

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Tue Feb 26 12:28:15 2019

I love FREE stuff

Amazon, send it to me!

What better way to get back a lost Prime member than to send me free stuff and make me feel obligated to subscribe again.

by: sasikat9 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Feb 26 13:41:14 2019

We love Amazon. Send me the package.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Tue Feb 26 14:49:43 2019

Since the buyer mentioned Birchbox, I'm guessing it's make-up samples, like they hand out at Sephora.

This user has validated their user name. by: Lightning

Tue Feb 26 16:18:27 2019

There will be TONS of companies taking part in this.  If you manufacture or distribute grossly high margin products, you have plenty of room to give some away to attract a new regular buyer.  Any cosmetic company or health care supplier will jump on.  You see a lot of TV ads where you can send in for the first free bottle of something.  Those companies just saved the cost of the ad.  If you are a start-up with a new mass market product, you could get a turbo boost by getting your product out there right away, if you have the marketing budget to do so.

by: mcposty This user has validated their user name.

Wed Feb 27 12:34:18 2019

I would never pay Amazon to send samples because that's messed up, they should add a feature to the listings that says " order free sample" if the seller wants to or not, and this feature should be free.

by: Paul W This user has validated their user name.

Thu Feb 28 02:01:26 2019

I can see "...your crunch" and "protein"  so I'd guess at least one item inside is a high-protein snack bar.

by: Moonwishes This user has validated their user name.

Thu Feb 28 03:00:09 2019

I get free stuff all the time and I love it. Haven't gotten the sample box though. I do prefer to decide if I want to try something or not though. When I buy something online from CVS they always send samples of lotions, etc. I have more than enough of those sorts of things. So, I guess it would depend upon what is in the box.

by: cvsharkey This user has validated their user name.

Thu Feb 28 07:25:33 2019

I agree with one comment above--I've tried Amazon's sample boxes & paid $10 to try. That's messed up. I wouldn't do it again.