Mon Feb 25 2019 23:30:21

Etsy Mulls New Ad Service for Sellers

Etsy CEO Josh Silverman revealed the company was mulling a service to help sellers advertise their Etsy shops through off-site advertising.

During a conference call with Wall Street analysts to discuss the company's fourth-quarter 2018 earnings, Silverman said Etsy was still in the "early innings" on Promoted Listings, which allow sellers to pay for greater visibility for their listings on Etsy.

He added:

"...The opportunity to help our sellers invest in their growth, not just on Etsy, but off Etsy. We know that there's a significant appetite from sellers to invest to buy traffic from other sources driving it to their Etsy shops. I'm thinking about ways to help them. That, we think, is a rich opportunity going forward."

Wall Street gets excited by what Etsy calls "Seller Services" since they boost Etsy's bottom line beyond traditional fees.

Silverman revealed that 16% of sellers have adopted Promoted Listings (on-site ads), though he noted that Etsy's largest sellers are disproportionately represented on Promoted Listings.

Analysts asked a lot of questions about Etsy's marketing activities during the call. Imagine if Etsy could get sellers to pay it to fund some of that marketing to drive new buyers to its site.

Conventional wisdom says if you're going to pay for off-marketplace advertising, it's better to drive buyers to your own site. But some sellers may consider their Etsy shops their main online selling venue.

Would you be interested in paying Etsy to advertise your Etsy shop on other channels? What off-Etsy ads would be most compelling - for example, Google Shopping ads?

And, since eBay seems to be copying Etsy these days, what would you think of paying eBay to advertise your eBay Store on channels outside of eBay?

Perminate Link for Etsy Mulls New Ad Service for Sellers   Etsy Mulls New Ad Service for Sellers

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Tue Feb 26 00:17:10 2019

Etsy needs to advertise on TV.
Maypo did it.
Koolaid did it.
Slinky did it.
Tang did it.
GET WITH THE PROGRAM.
We need regular people heading up Etsy.
It's just so EASY to put Etsy on top.
But Silverman can't handle it.
Because HE'S a LOSER.

by: maxmad This user has validated their user name.

Tue Feb 26 03:22:30 2019

The minute you start paying for promoted etsy ad's you instantly loose all your traffic from google, because etsy turns off your google feed, (which they have openly admitted they do)

every time i see promoted listings all that i can think of, is how stupid those sellers must be

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Tue Feb 26 06:29:44 2019

"which allow sellers to pay for greater visibility for their listings on Etsy"

This rings of the stench of eBay.  No, not, and never.  You will not squeeze another plug nickle out of me.  Either give me visibility for what I am paying you now or be gone.

Etsy's greed will destroy them as eBay's has.   A word of advice--focus on your customers and not Wall Street analysts.

Silverman's pow wow with analysts is nothing more than an effort to drive the stock price up.  Sad that he doesn't spend as much time actually talking to his customers.

by: Sierra This user has validated their user name.

Tue Feb 26 09:22:16 2019

Etsy DID do some TV advertising last Fall. I hope they will do more!

by: Flying Childers This user has validated their user name.

Tue Feb 26 11:39:30 2019

Notice that they need another MONEY GRAB and QUICK!

They admit that they're not interested in making money from SALES.  They admit that they make most of their money selling bogus SERVICES.

They just did the  giant bank heist that got them several million bucks from the sellers just before the end of the reporting period.  Since they're bleeding money, they need another scam like this one.

WHEN IS THE SEC OR ATTORNEY GENERAL GOING TO INVESTIGATE ETSY??

by: Sierra This user has validated their user name.

Tue Feb 26 12:02:14 2019

@Flying Childers - Why do you call the services bogus? They're real so they're *not* bogus (basic definition), although it may be questionable how well they work.

I don't use PL's all the time, for example, but (just for grins), I turned them on in early January with $.02 bids on ALL my items and a $2 daily budget. Last month I paid $5.74 for PL's and got $514 in revenue. This month, so far, it's been $3.83 for $234 in revenue. That's not ''bogus'' in my book.

Etsy Plus is a bit more questionable, however it only costs $2 after the freebies. Etsy has made it VERY clear this doesn't help with SEO or anything other than making your shop look different. I've not added this because it just doesn't seem necessary.

Pattern is a joke. If you want a web site, build it somewhere other than Etsy. Just in case, you know ...

I have my own bookkeeping, so I've never even considered the QuickBooks integration.

What other services am I forgetting?

by: SellerGirl This user has validated their user name.

Tue Feb 26 12:20:24 2019

How much will this service cost?  As a small seller, I didn't find Etsy's other "seller services" to be a wise investment, so I discontinued it pretty quickly.

by: cvsharkey This user has validated their user name.

Tue Feb 26 12:40:38 2019

I'm really looking for an alternative to Etsy.......does that tell you how I feel?

by: rover This user has validated their user name.

Tue Feb 26 12:47:50 2019

Just another money grab by this sleazy company that openly discriminates against non USA sellers.

by: lalaland This user has validated their user name.

Tue Feb 26 12:55:31 2019

I love etsy.  It is so easy to use. ( Can't say the same for forum or getting a question answered)  I only have about 100 listings, but I sell some.
 However, I will not pay another dime to do what I am paying them to do in the first place.

by: Cody2 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Feb 26 13:32:13 2019

Etsy needs to get ALL their bugs/issues taken care of before they take on something else.    The new forums are still not functional, issues with PL's and not to mention constant changing of their programming which leads to MORE bugs.

This user has validated their user name. by: Life During Wartime

Tue Feb 26 14:06:48 2019

Yes, Etsy needs to advertise on tv, but the ads I saw for Etsy during the 2018 Winter Holiday season were just lame.

Did you all love the dumb bunny babbling about the necklace personalized with the name of her dog?  The obese guy?  The hipster dad hovering near his wife, a good little beast of burden and sperm donor?

Where were the uniquely designed and crafted items created by skilled artisans?  The fine art?  The amazing hard-to-find vintage items?  Nowhere!  Etsy, the land of bland.

The ads for Minted and Poshmark are so much better.

by: Garcia This user has validated their user name.

Tue Feb 26 14:18:51 2019

If Etsy offers me something that will help me sell, then I would take a chance on it.

by: Whatever This user has validated their user name.

Tue Feb 26 15:17:23 2019

I hate Etsy - even before they got this stupid

by: leighjewel This user has validated their user name.

Tue Feb 26 16:17:39 2019

I think not!

I'd rather just sit back and watch them implode!

by: Tiffee Jasso This user has validated their user name.

Tue Feb 26 22:57:27 2019

No. When I am out shopping and something from Etsy catches my eye on Twitter or Google, and I click on the link, I see everything but the item that caught my eye. I don't like wasting my time trying to find the item I want. To me it is bait and switch and I don't like it.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Wed Feb 27 06:31:50 2019

Flying Childers says "Notice that they need another MONEY GRAB and QUICK! "

Just like eBay, Wall Street owns them.  They should have stayed private but there were some folks at Etsy who wanted to get rich quick.

Waiting for the activist investors to come calling.

by: mcposty This user has validated their user name.

Thu Feb 28 12:20:55 2019

Hey, we screwed up our search engine so that no one can see your listings, pay us even more and we will kinda might maybe show you listings.

by: rdsao This user has validated their user name.

Mon Mar 4 10:47:30 2019

wasn't the 5% fee that Etsy started charging sellers supposed to pay for "outside advertising"?

Etsy used to be a nice place to sell, now it's run by a bunch of greedy, incompetent idiots