Tue Feb 12 2019 23:55:11

Problems with eBay Shipping Calculator?

Some sellers say eBay is undercharging their buyers for USPS First Class Package Service on the eBay Shipping Calculator, and when they go to print the label, eBay is charging them the correct, higher price.

A reader had written to us last month to report, "On Jan 27, 2019 the USPS raised the First Class Package Rates but almost two weeks later the eBay Shipping Calculator has not switched over to the new rates and Buyers are making purchases including postage at the old USPS First Class Package Postage rates."

We asked eBay about it, which provided the following response: "Do you have an example that you can share so we can look into this?"

The reader responded, "Nope. The only evidence that we have is every time we print eBay USPS First Class Postage the amount that eBay charges us to mail the envelope (or package) can be $0.11 to $0.21+ more than the standard $2.66 that we use to pay for 1-4 ounces and yet when I check the invoice that eBay sends to the Buyer the postage rate is the exact same "calculated" amount that Buyers paid for the same postage prior to the USPS Rate Increase."

Another reader also had a problem with the eBay shipping calculator for First Class Package Service: "eBay charged the customer $1.70 for shipping Yet I HAD to pay $2.84 for shipping."

We followed up with him this week and he said he was still having a problem. eBay had told him to check "large envelope," not letter, and then suggested he enter the exact envelope size or package size. "Did that and it still comes up with me being shorted about a dollar on shipping and does not include the $1.00 handling fee I have for calculated shipping."

We also found two sellers reporting similar problems on this thread on the eBay boards this week. Does anyone know what's causing the problems these sellers are reporting?

Perminate Link for Problems with eBay Shipping Calculator?   Problems with eBay Shipping Calculator?

by: sasikat9 This user has validated their user name.

Wed Feb 13 06:16:20 2019

Stamps.com works fine everytime. No guessing if they are right and if you have a problem with anything their customer service is top notch.

Unlike the script reading idiots of Greedbay.

by: rstpete This user has validated their user name.

Wed Feb 13 10:08:00 2019

I am having the exact same issue with large envelopes and had to increase my handling charge to compensate.  It looks like the calculator is charging buyers the untracked rates but the seller is getting charged the tracked rate. Plus combined shipping has completely quit working and handling charge is being added sometimes and not others.  Then yesterday a person bought 2 of the same items and it charged the shipping once and the handling charge twice.  No matter how I put my settings it just isn't working correctly. Its costing me money and promoting bad will with buyers.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Wed Feb 13 10:42:44 2019

I use Endicia. It's great. I recently had a problem with my labels not printing correctly, and a fabulous CSR spent probably 45 minutes with me to correct the issue. I would never use anything else for postage labels. And they are always on top of postage rate increases.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Wed Feb 13 11:14:13 2019

@sasikat9 & iheartjacksparrow

This has NOTHING to do with Stamps.com or Endicia.

It's eBay telling your customer that shipping is $2.66 when in fact it is $3 no matter who you use to print the label.

I knew this would happen once the PO went to calculated shipping. . . .

by: Happy Cat This user has validated their user name.

Wed Feb 13 13:34:38 2019

Updating account default as well as all listings location zip-codes should fix the problem.

by: lalaland This user has validated their user name.

Thu Feb 14 00:53:17 2019

I haven't had this problem. But, I always have had a problem with ebay not figuring postage correctly.  I either have to refund or loose money.  When I ship on etsy, it is right on the penny EVERY time.

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Thu Feb 14 02:44:44 2019

Shipping Charge can only be estimated....EVER.
Too many factors play in to the cost.
THE ANSWER :
Stop catering to whiney customers.
They don't have to buy.

by: HardWorkingSeller This user has validated their user name.

Thu Feb 14 06:55:51 2019

Another long standing problem with the shipping calculator is when the buyer purchases multiple items.

The calculator multiplies the weight by the number of units bought but leaves the dimensions as those of a single unit.

This means that there's a high probability that the combo package will attract a dimensional weight based charge, which will not be collected from the buyer - leaving the seller out of pocket.

In the case of a large and heavy item this can leave the seller with an uncovered cost easily in the range $50-$100.

by: gardenman13 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Feb 14 08:07:34 2019

If I remember correctly, this is a repeat of the last time that some shipping values changed (increased) and the eBay shipping calculator was undercharging or overcharging many of my customers for postage. In those instances, Ebay wanted "proof" of the error, yet THERE WAS NO METHOD TO RECORD OR KNOW WHEN AN ERROR WAS GOING TO OCCUR IN ADVANCE since it WASN'T APPARENT or VISIBLE until AFTER an invoicing was completed- and eBay techs cannot deduce what the value variation is AFTER the fact. It was as if they didn't believe my report. In the end, after talking to reps from USPS, FedEx and eBay, eBay blamed FedEx, FedEx blamed eBay and the USPS said contact eBay. eBay advised me to simply quit offering the affected shipping services. OK, I'll just stop offering USPS and FedEx. Good solution. The issue was finally raised to a reported problem and somehow was fixed after months. But who wants customers berating and mistrusting sellers for "overcharging" or "increasing" the posted shipping values when the seller had nothing to do with it? That's what I and other sellers had to deal with. I understand that in this topic's case, SELLERS are footing the bill and that's just as bad, yet it makes me wonder if buyers aren't being overcharged in some instances without even knowing it. I wouldn't have known any of my buyers were being overcharged if some of them hadn't contacted me.

by: gla This user has validated their user name.

Thu Feb 14 11:10:10 2019

Same problem here but in my case it is related to the "Package Type" selected when uploading with TurboLister. If you want to use calculated shipping for first class now that USPS rates are based on zone, the "Package Type" must be "Package" - not "Large Envelope". ebay is not updating TurboLister so it doesn't match up with the changes USPS made in that area. I changed all my calculated first class items from large envelope to "package" and that solved the problem. Good luck.