Sun Dec 15 2019 20:22:42

Are You Ready for Christmas Crunch Shipping Delays?

Signs of holiday-shipping delays came early this year, and sporadic reports continue, though the grumblings may be isolated to certain locales. Too bad the carriers aren't providing greater insight.

Meanwhile, another winter storm is making its way across the country with only 9 days before Christmas Eve, which falls one week from Tuesday.

What's a seller to do? Last week, Newegg was already trying to encourage sellers to shop while tempering their expectations about delivery. It wrote in a tweet, "The holidays are nigh! Shop early and be sure to meet these shipping deadlines. Keep in mind shipping carriers may encounter delays," and it provided ship-by dates.

As crunch time hits, we have to ask what is UPS thinking? During the busiest mailing days of the year, it's trying to add more packages into the stream when delivery trucks already seem to be bursting at the seams!

UPS sent an email to customers with the subject line, "Cyber Monday Regrets? We Got You" with the following message enclosed:

Make that wrong purchase right with an easy return

FIND A DROP-OFF LOCATION

1) GET IT - Retrieve or print your return label

2) STICK IT - Adhere label to package

3) DROP IT - Take it to any UPS drop-off location.

When your return is ready to go, stop by any UPS Access Point® location to drop it off, including:

- The UPS Store
- Many CVS and Michaels stores
- Designated local merchants
- UPS Drop Boxes

Create a new shipment on the go
Use the UPS Mobile app
Enter your shipping information into the UPS Mobile app. Then bring your package to The UPS Store, and we’ll scan the code on your phone and print the label for you.

Sellers are cranky enough when it appears companies are encouraging consumers to return items (though don't we all appreciate it when we can easily return an item ourselves?). But the timing on this UPS email appears somewhat misguided.

And while we're on the topic of holiday shipping issues - do you remember last year's bump in the road in early December? President Trump proclaimed December 5, 2018, a national day of mourning honor former President George H.W. Bush, who had passed away on November 30th, and the USPS suspended mail delivery and pickup, though it offered limited package delivery.

Please let us know if you're experiencing any shipping delays and if you're doing anything to prepare for potential problems. It's always a battle between the hunger for more sales and the fear of customers not getting their orders in time.

Perminate Link for Are You Ready for Christmas Crunch Shipping Delays?   Are You Ready for Christmas Crunch Shipping Delays?

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Sun Dec 15 21:00:41 2019

I have a pile of packages to mail tomorrow. When I email everyone with their tracking numbers, I intend to add something along the line of "While your [item name] should arrive before Christmas, please understand that I have no control over how fast (or slow) your package will be delivered." While I am grateful for all the orders, I don't want anyone to be disappointed or, worse yet, mad at me if their package doesn't arrive on time.

by: Garcia This user has validated their user name.

Mon Dec 16 00:06:51 2019

Buyers do not understand sellers having no control over shipping, so they blame the seller even if said seller mailed the item the same day it was purchased.

by: Moonwishes This user has validated their user name.

Mon Dec 16 02:51:25 2019

@Garcia - you are so right. It is why when a buyer sees that their package was delivered and they can't find it, they turn to us and act like they expect us to jump on a jet to their house and help in the hunt. I don't deliver their mail! The first and most obvious thing to me anyhow, is to call the PO and ask where it is. Why is that so difficult? It is obvious that we sent it which is why it shows delivered, so why do they jump all over us demanding that we tell they where it is.

Currently thing aren't going too slow for me with the mail, however, my sales have slowed down a bit after an extremely financially rewarding first two weeks of the month. :)

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Dec 16 05:52:18 2019

There's nothing anybody can do about the weather and delays.  Delays happen even in shipping & delivery.  Customers need to be patient!

by: InspirationPlus This user has validated their user name.

Mon Dec 16 05:54:20 2019

Even this past week, my Priority boxes were taking an extra day. 2-day was taking 3 days and 3-day was taking 4 days. Hopefully this week will not see even more delays.

I'm finding that eBay shoppers who are looking to get a bargain are bidding on 7 and 10-day auctions to get the lower price, not thinking that when the auction ends, there will not be sufficient time for shipping before Christmas. They will probably be the first ones to gripe. Spend a couple more dollars for the BIN. Shoppers in my stores  seem more realistic, but there will still be some that will expect the impossible. No, sorry, I don't do overnights.

by: JohnGermaine This user has validated their user name.

Mon Dec 16 13:14:35 2019

Not a problem here - I haven't had a sale since last Thursday and today is the last day for reasonable online shopping - we all know this.

by: purpleiris This user has validated their user name.

Mon Dec 16 15:08:41 2019

I actually had a Priority package take a mere two days from Texas to the Pacific Northwest. I was shocked.

by: purpleiris This user has validated their user name.

Mon Dec 16 15:10:47 2019

Sorry, I should say shocked, but proud of my postal peeps. =)

by: Overthere This user has validated their user name.

Mon Dec 16 20:32:39 2019

I just had a person ask if they bought an item, if it would get there before Christmas. They gave me there zip code, I looked at USPS website, it shows 2 day priority. I emailed them what post website shows, but I also told them to plan on at least 4- 5 days by priority.
I mailed a package to a brother last week from Idaho to the high desert in Ca. suppose to have taken 3 days, took 5 days, he just got it today.

last year I had people 2-3 days before Christmas asking if it would get there in time. I told them only if they paid for overnight delivery and that was still iffy at best.