Sat July 28 2018 10:11:55

Spammers Hit the eBay Forums Friday Night

Spammers hit the eBay forums overnight, linking to off-eBay websites purportedly selling health supplements. That's against eBay policy

Do not click on the links, as they may be phishing attempts - just as it's never a good idea to click on links in unsolicited emails.

The fact the threads remain live is worrisome given eBay's recent layoffs and calls for sellers to help it moderate the boards. On Sunday, we posted about eBay's new Community Mentors Program.

The influx of spam threads on the eBay forums are easy to spot: their subject lines consist of URLs to off-eBay websites. Hopefully eBay's weekend staff will catch the posts soon. Can you spot some of the offending posts in the screenshot below, taken from the Seller board this morning?

Update 8/7/2018: A seller alerted us to the fact that spammers have returned to the eBay boards, see this thread on eBay.

Perminate Link for Spammers Hit the eBay Forums Friday Night   Spammers Hit the eBay Forums Friday Night

by: ebayout This user has validated their user name.

Sat Jul 28 11:04:23 2018

Instead of a 3 day suspension, ebay will demand a piece of the action. They need the revenue.

by: Frank Abagnale This user has validated their user name.

Sat Jul 28 11:16:12 2018

Those spammers might be the 300 ex-ebay employees that were just let go.

by: sasikat9 This user has validated their user name.

Sat Jul 28 13:18:14 2018

Now thats funny......The only people on the forums are the bullies.
See how smart they are. Wonder how many of them clicked on it. They deserve it.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Sat Jul 28 13:46:10 2018

Well they knew when to do it.  As the CSRs normally on the threads are all in Vegas this week.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Sat Jul 28 14:31:47 2018

Are you sure eBay hasn't found a way to monetize the boards?  LOL

by: FrustratedBuyers This user has validated their user name.

Sat Jul 28 16:30:56 2018

Alan strikes again:
--------------------------------------

Community Manager alan@ebay

Re: Where's the moderators? Chinese selling junk on this board

07-28-2018 11:20:01 AM

alan@ebay
Community Manager

Hi everyone!

I am aware that some spam posts have successfully made their way onto our boards recently. I'm working with the Lithium moderation team to catch more of these before they ever hit the Community platform. We do not want to see this on our boards.
----------------------------

Apparently that was several hours after they began. Right on top of things as usual.

Now, if it had been somebody reporting a listing violation ....

by: papergoy This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jul 29 06:59:39 2018

Oh don't get me started on listing violations. My favorite was when I got pinged for selling a Cavalier magazine from the 1950s (when it was a men's adventure magazine NOT the girly mag it became).  It got ended as it wasn't in adult.  I called- was told "you're right it doesn't have to be in adult but don't relist it as the bots picked it up and if they do again, it's a violation."  Umm..so let me get this straight- you admit to me that it's breaking no rules....and as your bots are poorly programmed, I have a piece of merchandise I cannot move UNLESS I sell in adult which would be miscategorization?  My other favorite is when you contact them with something- and they tell you they cannot find all of the violators- and you point out "Um, I took three seconds to do a search and have found 530 people in violation- it's not that tough..." and they have no answer.  It's those of us who are a little bigger who are held to the standards while the fly-by-night (or the very large) get away with everything.  Nice system.

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Sun Jul 29 22:29:13 2018

Ebay probably got hacked Royal.
I've had several calls in one day about android iCloud account being breached. Of course it's all B.S.
That's where today's battle is.
All across the internet.
Who ya gonna call ?
Nobody.
And they know it.
We're open.
The only answer is to go All Analog. Retro. Old School. Cash 'n carry. Local Only.

This user has validated their user name. by: Shane

Mon Jul 30 00:07:53 2018

Good.

by: epuise This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 30 09:59:08 2018

people need to grow up and stop clicking everything the internet puts in front of them

by: a_c_green This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 30 10:30:11 2018

The discussion board spamming should have been handled by Lithium; it's not under eBay's direct control, but theirs.

I'm not sure whether the new ''Mentor'' program includes enforcement powers for moderating the discussion groups as well. I sent in my application but heard nothing in return. I imagine they're still mad at me. :-)

This user has validated their user name. by: FidoMaster

Mon Jul 30 12:11:41 2018

Maybe eBay axed the anti-spam Lithium plugin as part of their cost reduction punchlist (in anticipation of their unpaid seller-customer volunteers making great use of their volunteer time cleaning up bot spam)?

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Mon Jul 30 12:48:35 2018

@acgreen

I doubt that is the reason.  The CSRs that are responsible for this program were in Vegas last week for the open.  Now this week they need to catch up.

by: Slowest Learner This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 31 03:43:18 2018

sasikat9 wrote:
Now thats funny......The only people on the forums are the bullies.
See how smart they are. Wonder how many of them clicked on it. They deserve it.
--------------
^^^ That's funny.  I call them trolls, but its true.  I've been saying so for years.  When I first started on ebay many years ago, I went on the forums for help when I had problems with buyers, and everytime I got a condescending reply that seemed to belittle me and my problem.  Once I got a reply telling me I sell junk no one wants, so why should I worry about my problem.  ZERO help ever.  I started going on reddit for help, got tons better help than anything I ever got on ebay forums.

I'm surprised people actually still browse the ebay forums.

by: Whatever This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 31 10:48:38 2018

here's a kicker - I posted a thread on sunday about chinese selling their junk on ebay boards and got a warning email from a mod that they were giving ME a warning for violating ebay board rules and that they had removed the thread - I didn't cuss or YELL or anything wrong - just stated the facts that those boards are for sellers who still wanted to help other sellers.

ebay is a joke - if wenig could get any further up the chinese you know what he'd be crawling out their mouths - absolutely ridiculous

and ebay asks sellers to help out on the boards - really??

by: Silver Ice King This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 31 14:27:03 2018

@Whatever

Ebay evidently cracked down after the return from Vegas on everybody that posted anything negative about Ebay and China.  I got a vacation and my post deleted for stating nothing but the facts and making a comment about China in there.  Ebay has become super sensitive about their partners as they are beginning to realize that they cannot survive and Wenig sure as hell cannot get these huge overpaid year end bonuses when they have to depend on the Chinese for sales.

Wenig is waking up to the fact that Sellers are moving their better products to better sites and Ebay is starting to look like the 99 cent store already, which in my mind is hundreds times worse than being referred to as the worlds largest garage sale.!!!

Wenig also probably lost more at the tables than he lost with his hilarious lies about Ebay building up to 500 million buyers.  Ebay cannot keep their platform operating well enough to service the so called 175 million buyers they have now as they have to black out entire seller accounts because they don't want to spend Wenigs bonus on the equipment necessary to make Ebay even appear to be competitive.

by: mcposty This user has validated their user name.

Thu Aug 2 03:51:06 2018

Lol just shut the forums down. Pointless. Especially having idiot cheerleaders become moderators