Fri July 20 2018 22:26:26

Etsy Treats Vintage Differently on Navigation Menu

An Etsy seller wrote to us today sharing concerns that the marketplace appears to be putting sellers of vintage goods at a disadvantage over those selling handmade goods. There are three categories of goods sellers can list on Etsy: vintage, handmade, and supplies.

"Etsy has put vintage sellers at a disadvantage," she wrote. "Without announcement or explanation they have removed access to the drop down feature for the vintage category only. Vintage sellers pay Etsy the same fees as the other categories and should receive the same browsing feature as the rest. The only response from an Etsy admin is that this change was intentional."

She pointed to a thread where sellers were discussing the issue. An Etsy moderator had this to say in response to the post: "I confirmed with my team, this is intended behavior and there isn't a drop-down option for Vintage. Once you click on this term you will be presented with category shopping options on the page."

That only fueled more questions, including the timing of the change, which is unclear. We do know that Etsy had run tests in 2012 and in 2014 in which it temporarily removed Vintage from the pulldown menu altogether.

One seller responding on the thread said the functionality made it appear to shoppers that the Vintage category is empty: "Sorry! No vintage available today!"

Perminate Link for Etsy Treats Vintage Differently on Navigation Menu   Etsy Treats Vintage Differently on Navigation Menu

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Sat Jul 21 11:03:07 2018

Etsy need to learn from eBay's mistakes.  If they don't, they will ensure that their customers (the sellers) will hate them and subsequently abandon them.

What I have seen as of late is that Etsy is mirroring eBay in many ways. Can they be that clueless as it relates to why sellers flocked to them in the first place.  I guess not because once a company goes public it becomes all about C-level officers' greed and the shareholders.  Customers are an after thought.

This user has validated their user name. by: Life During Wartime

Sat Jul 21 21:25:47 2018

This is old news.  Etsy removed the drop down categories -- with the accompanying Editors Picks curated feature -- in September 2017, as I noted in my blog https://ldwcallsout.blogspot.com/2017/10/etsy-tests-new-way-to-connect
-shoppers.html

It was a big deal, at the time it happened, but the Vintage seller community on Etsy, with very few exceptions, treated it with ignore.

by: mazelgirl This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 23 01:26:46 2018

Etsy introduced their new rates and program and had a thread where you could ask questions.  They mentioned that part of the new --would be promotion--I asked what they were planning for vintage and no one(except other vintage sellers who also wanted to know) responded.  I had a fairly good year in 2017 on ETSY--but after this, I just lost my enthusiasm for them.  At 3.5% it was worth putting listings there--they don't have the traffic of other sites--but if I had to leave something there for a couple listing cycles I did it. Now I have to think about what I'm going to do over there-- their new fees are still less than other places -- but it's close enough where their traffic matters.  I get the same traffic on an unpopular eBay item each week as I do on all of my ETSY items put together--right now I have half the listings I did at this point last year and if something doesn't sell I am not relisting--I am moving it elsewhere.

by: hawk This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 23 07:30:10 2018

i have always done well under vintage until recently.  now nothing for a long time.  stop being ebay , and stealing fees on shipping. how low can you go??

by: xcelr This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 23 07:32:41 2018

I signed up for selling on Etsy on recommendation of a friend. I had been selling on eBay since '98. Before I could get my listings up, I realized they were following eBay's footsteps (missteps), so I nixed that. I did sell a few items on Bonanza, then same story. I sell an item occasionally on a couple of other sites, but mostly sell at a Flea Market where I pay a fixed rent and set my own prices, negotiate if I need to, work only weekends, don't have to contend with the BS.

by: SammyCat This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 23 07:44:38 2018

A lot of us Vintage sellers have been hounding Etsy for years regarding representation and getting our monies worth.

In one of his videos, Josh said that vintage would be promoted equally.  I haven't seen that happen. With the lack of a drop-down for Vintage, I would like to know how they can say that they are.

We pay the same money and the reality for many of us is, we have a ton of money invested in our products and we need to move them.

I guess people get tired of fighting and with all that's going on in the world, we seem to be in negative overdrive.

by: funkygrrl This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 23 12:07:44 2018

Etsy removed the Vintage category altogether back in 2013 or thereabouts. That's when I left Etsy for Ebay. Etsy has never cared about their vintage sellers, they go out of their way to make that obvious.

This user has validated their user name. by: Life During Wartime

Tue Jul 24 21:12:26 2018

Etsy staffer Lori W. has explained the missing drop down at the Vintage link in the Forums:  ''The Vintage drop down menu was removed from the navigation in September of 2017. In our research we found that most buyers are not first searching or browsing for items by when they were made or who made them. Buyers tend think about the item they want to buy, like a jacket or blanket, before deciding if they want it to be vintage or not.''

Which is the exactly the same wording that was shared with the Etsy Vintage seller community when categories were removed from the Home Page, when Browse was set up, and when the category structure was changed to make the categories even more limited and muddled.  Etsy's target customer doesn't care ''when items were made'' (vintage) or ''who made them'' (handmade).  Etsy's target customer doesn't care about vintage or handmade.

There it is, folks.  Straight from the corporate keyboard.

More from Lori's post:  ''we removed the drop-down because we observed that the duplication of our categories under vintage diluted the search engine traffic to vintage items and category landing pages.''  The category landing pages are curated, including the Vintage landing page.  Of the 9 category featured (curated) thumbnail photos, 3-5 of the images always show non-Vintage items deceptively listed as ''vintage'' by the seller.  A shopper who knows Vintage, and who is looking for Vintage, will take a look at that and say, ''Oopsie.  No thank you.'' and leave,.  Mission accomplished.