Fri July 13 2018 01:00:11

How Is the eBay Mobile App Today?

eBay Chief Product Architect Steve Yankovich took a stroll down memory lane this week and recalled the early days of eBay's mobile app. It's hard to believe, but the 10-year anniversary of the eBay app is approaching.

Despite eBay having launched an app in 2008, it wasn't until Yankovich came on board in 2009 that the company took mobile apps more seriously.

"We launched the first eBay app for iOS in 2008 and there was only one person working on it at the time. When I joined eBay in 2009, I was coming from a startup and hardware background so I was immediately interested in leveraging what I knew was going to become an important mobile platform," he wrote.

Yankovich skips over some of the history of eBay Mobile prior to his joining the company that former eBayer Alan Lewis revealed in 2011. Lewis said the app almost didn't get built in 2008 and said eBay disbanded the Mobile team at the end of that year. You can read more about Lewis' revelations in this 2011 AuctionBytes Blog post.

Yankovich wrote about the evolution of eBay's mobile strategy, including the reminder that at one point, eBay had separate apps for different verticals such as Fashion and Motors. New iPhone features being added had huge impact on each evolution of the app, he said.

He addressed the challenge of designing for a small screen. "It really forced us to think about the user interface and what we would use to fill out the real estate throughout our app experience. This new approach paved the way for our "mobile first" strategy."

As challenging as that is for the product team, that may be nothing compared to the challenges sellers face when dealing with the impact of a mobile-first strategy. Some features are different on the mobile app; some desktop features are changed as a result.

But what has concerned sellers most over the years is that buyers be able to see the full description of their items on mobile devices to reduce the chances of returns.

What's the eBay mobile app like today - and does it represent your items well on small screens? We'd love to hear your thoughts.

Perminate Link for How Is the eBay Mobile App Today?   How Is the eBay Mobile App Today?

by: angryllama This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jul 13 03:12:53 2018

It is an abomination.  There are a couple of SIMPLE changes they could make that would VASTLY improve it. Starting with making the "radio buttons" MUCH more prominent and in a COLOR other than pale dove gray.
PALE DOVE GRAY for GAWD's SAKE.
On my iPhone 8, it is barely distinguishable from the BACKGROUND of the display.
Should be news to NOBODY HERE that behind these hard to see "radio buttons" more than 50 percent of the REAL DATA that buyers SHOULD see front and center.
HONESTLY, if anybody here can give me a REPLY on how the heck anyone using the APP is supposed to be able to REQUEST INVOICE once they have any 2 or more DIFFERENT items in their SHOPPING CART from the SAME seller on the APP.... please do so.  Just in the past 2 weeks, I have had 3 would-be buyers who were BAFFLED by the CART and got increasingly PUT OUT that they couldn't find the PATH to success and when I tried I could not FIND it either.
I can only DREAD just how bad this Shiney New Toy of eBay's Creation to try to JAM all items behind their execrable STOCK PHOTO and often inaccurate catalog data.  It is awful on the REAL eBay computer pages.  On the app, it strikes me as a recipe for disaster.  Disaster in this case meaning ANGRY buyers, LOST sales, and an avalanche of returns.

by: sasikat9 This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jul 13 07:03:35 2018

How is the app today????? How is Ebay in general today?????

Hapless, glitchy, non responsive, hides listing, paranoid, etc. In general a mess and still throwing water at a brick wall to see if it sticks.

How funny that they are so blind that they can't see whats wrong.

by: Carol Is Here This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jul 13 07:39:54 2018

These people like Yankovich are part of the problem. They have large egos and high opinions of themselves, and get these jobs based on a lot of BS and their university connections.

The products they produce are inferior and don't work well.  They are not as smart as they think they are.

But few with actual talent can enter the small circle or club of "experts" that get awarded high-paying positions and stock options to plunder large amounts of money to produce expensive garbage.

Wall Street media, who often went to the same schools, does them favors by touting them or letting them promote themselves.

The Ebay App has always been a joke.

The money that Yankovich plundered out of Ebay is a real shame. If someone on the street were conning people like this and selling them expensive junk, they'd get arrested lol.

The few at the top get protected.

by: Carol Is Here This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jul 13 08:29:26 2018

"At eBay, Yankovich said the company has been experimenting with its eBay Now service, which promises same-day delivery, often in an hour. He made a bold prediction: that in roughly a half-decade, personalization will be so integrated with the shopping experience that digital tools might be able to make purchasing decisions for us, based on our personal data. "

It's gone beyond 1984. Where does the personal data come from? Facebook anyone, spying on us lol? It's why it was created.

The few at the top will force you to buy what they want you to, which means what will make them the most money and keep their control. Total monopolization and true slavery.

Control what you eat, read, think, watch.

Isn't this supposedly why people fought in World War II, to fight against  control and domination? To prevent a society where the few at the to spy on everyone,  make the decisions and choices for everyone else, and plunder everything?

These incompetent and dangerous people like Yankovich are the ones making the decisions (or just following orders) at places like Ebay and Amazon too, and everyone should be really nervous about this and raising the alarm.

But people seem to be too busy playing with their phones using junker apps like the Ebay app and getting less for more.

People like Yankovich are tools of the monopolists, but the tools of the Wall Street monopolist media will tout them as gurus to admire.

Insane.

by: Carol Is Here This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jul 13 08:37:36 2018

Yankovich-

"“In five years, we can have a virtual shopping assistant as if you have a person who is an assistant who would know you would buy that bag the moment it came out,” he said. “So they’d buy it. It would be no-click buying.”

So you can't even buy anything yourself and make any kind of decision for yourself. The retail monopolists would have their AI "app" buy it FOR you and take the money from you. You would be FORCED to buy it.

This is what Yankovich is advocating. Spy on you, then force you to buy things from the few multinational corporations who make decisions for you and take your money? And let the few at the top make all the money through essentially, slavery and stealing from the slaves.

Didn't Wenig say that Ebay was going to decide what to let you buy lol? Show you only what Ebay determined was best for you to see?

They are at it already.

It's the minds of madmen and despots,but people don't even question this it seems. Will they wake up?

by: Carol Is Here This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jul 13 08:40:30 2018

I suspect that the real goal of Yankovich's app is spying on people and collecting data, to head toward this kind of retail slavery for the few monopolists.

Which is why it is isn't a good app for the user.

That's not what they intend it to be.

I think Amazon does the same thing. I think Ebay is being groomed for an Amazon takeover.

by: I Must be Crazy This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jul 13 11:16:34 2018

I think the mobile app is garbage. It functions, but not very well.

What is more interesting to me is reading the link to the 2011 article where it talks about Donohoe disbanding the group that was to develop the mobile app in the first place. To think that fool didn't have the vision to see the importance and impact of the iphone on his business is quite shocking to me. He let Auctiva pick up the guy who did.

The mobile app is nothing to write home about, but it is certainly better than nothing. Truly underscores how poor of a CEO John Donohoe really was and how the results of his arrogant stupidity continue to impact eBay today.

by: RL15 This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jul 13 11:48:10 2018

so the Yanker been there around 9 years.

wonder what he has done to justify his salary, it sure isn't the pos mobile app

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Fri Jul 13 12:10:17 2018

eBay in no way, shape or form will EVER have access to the data on my phone.

This user has validated their user name. by: RKTOYS

Fri Jul 13 12:56:18 2018

I had two older versions of the app, one on a phone and the other on a tablet.  They were alright but missing many features for sellers.  For example, you could make listings...and that was about it.  The worst part of listings, aside from the random disconnects that lost all of your work, was that every picture defaulted to being cropped 20%.  Stretching the box out to the full size was needlessly difficult if your $400+ phone/tablet was in a protective case.

Of course my praise is very faint because the bar for apps is so lower, even lower than websites which more often than not are utter basket cases on anything older than this morning's Chrome beta release.

Still, the usefulness of the app was so low that I did not bother to update when they discontinued support suddenly.  I don't think the new version will even work on the tablet anyway.  Most mobile/web developers have such narrow tunnel vision coupled with severe ADD that nothing works for long even if nothing meaningful changed.  My favorite example is the Square Reader app that let me update to an incompatible version that had no new features yet constantly restarted because reasons and Square would not let me revert to a previous release also because reasons.  Those imbeciles don't offer a Windows version because it would be trivial for me to replace their garbage app with a proper development environment (which Android decidedly is not).

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jul 13 13:17:44 2018

The ONLY Yankovich thats any good is Weird AL Yankovich.

THIS ONE ... based on his statements .....

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Fri Jul 13 15:27:17 2018

My biggest complaint with the mobile app is I have no idea how to combine orders and send the buyer a invoice

That drives me crazy that I have to wait until I get home to send my customer an invoice. . .

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Fri Jul 13 15:31:33 2018

@pace306

I went to Hosler Jr. High with weird Al Yankovich

He was a year older then me, but I know who he was because he played in band with my girlfriend.

He was such a NERD, wore floods all the time, but he was real smart, straight A student on the honor roll.

by: Silver Ice King This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jul 13 17:33:07 2018

I have never allowed the Ebay app on my phone and never will as I do not trust that it will not somehow invade other aspects of things on my phone and my personal data.  Ebay management has zero morals so I would not put it past them to data mine as much information from my phone as they could to sell to anybody and everybody.

But from those that have used it, I have heard nothing but complaints about how useless it is compared to other companies apps.

This user has validated their user name. by: CanBrit

Sat Jul 14 16:08:12 2018

Awful. Worst app I've seen in a few years. Geez, I wonder why?

by: Snapped This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jul 15 09:17:44 2018

''He addressed the challenge of designing for a small screen. ''It really forced us to think about the user interface and what we would use to fill out the real estate throughout our app experience. This new approach paved the way for our ''mobile first'' strategy.''''

Root.  eBay was so focused on what and how, there was nothing spent on 'why'.  ''Mobile first'', slapped on unilaterally, disconnected the vast (and unique) market niche they owned and founded.  A marketplace that required individualized and expanded attention to detail.  Not a bonsai'd stamp pressed shoehorning into a medium that market's customers themselves found unsuitable.  Fine for the insta-grat crowd, who seek only familiar sustenance.  Not so much for the uniquely discerning.

Another cluelessly led 'engineering solution' that failed to account for user perspective, by another cluelessly arrogant 'innovator'.

Even if it were ever TO actually function correctly.

by: ZZ This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 16 02:00:07 2018

I often ask the buyer who is making a return if they were using the App or a desktop and the answer is almost always Smart phone when it was clear they never read the description.
Personally I only use my smart phone/eBay when buying stuff to sell on ebBay, My biggest complaint is that after I switch from the app to desktop view, it won't stay there very long. After a couple of screens or a new search, I'm switched back to the useless App and have to change modes again.
One time when talking to a friendly ebay CS in the Phillipines, I made a comment about the App and she told me she also sells a lot on eBay and only has a smart phone. That is hard to believe, but she had no reason to lie as that was not about why I called.

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 16 07:41:50 2018

Ebay is following in AMZ's footsteps again.  One-day shipping?  In your dreams.  Ebay doesn't own trucks, it doesn't employ drivers....wtH?

This user has validated their user name. by: VV

Mon Jul 16 08:31:19 2018

What few problems I have with buyers is 100% related to mobile purchases.

by: spooky This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 16 10:03:14 2018

I use the iPad app to list and sell. it is terrible and filled with glitches. the eBay AI does not work. It attempts to pre-fill the categories and is 99% wrong making me go back and make changes manually. It would be better if they just left it alone and kept it simple.