Sat June 2 2018 09:28:44

Have You Ever Felt Like This in a Craigslist Encounter?

What happens when complete strangers meet in person to exchange cash for valuable items? What could possibly go wrong?

Anyone who has ever bought or sold items through Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace will relate to this video on YouTube called The Exchange.

So many aspects of this are relatable - like the last-minute attempt to re-negotiate the price.

While this 2-minute video is amusing, it's true that you need to be careful when dealing with buyers and sellers in local classifieds transactions - don't let your guard down.

Can you relate to the characters in The Exchange? On which side of the encounter are you?

Perminate Link for Have You Ever Felt Like This in a Craigslist Encounter?   Have You Ever Felt Like This in a Craigslist Encounter?

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Sat Jun 2 11:14:03 2018

NOPE!

Never felt like either of those characters.

The last item I sold on Craigslist was an 8 ft Stainless Steel Table. . .

The last item I bought on Craigslist was 3 air tools.

Both transactions went as smooth as silk. . .

by: TomH This user has validated their user name.

Sat Jun 2 13:16:41 2018

Nope, I don't ID with them either.  For those types of sales I meet in my local police precinct parking lot. I tell them ahead. They have no problem with it, in fact the precinct commander encourages it.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Sat Jun 2 16:13:49 2018

No I haven't felt like what is portrayed in the video, but I do exercise caution when meeting with people for a transaction.  But to me that is common sense.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Sat Jun 2 16:18:44 2018

I've never sold on Craigslist nor have I bought anything on Craigslist. But I certainly wouldn't meet up in a place depicted in the video since you don't know who might be there to jump out, beat you up, and rob you of everything.

Some years back there was a guy who wanted to meet me in a Starbucks to "inspect" a mint in box item. I told him I wouldn't meet in a Starbucks as that seemed too much like a drug deal. Then he asked what my return policy is, and I wrote back I wasn't in the rental business as there were no returned for NRFB items. I never heard from him again (thankfully).

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Sat Jun 2 16:23:24 2018

Yes, you certainly have to be careful.  But CL is a good way to sell certain things.  Again, you have to be cautious and take care of your safety first.

Remember there was a Craig's List serial killer at one point.

by: Snapped This user has validated their user name.

Sat Jun 2 21:56:10 2018

Folks bought and sold privately for many years prior to Craig's.  In fact, they still do; that's why newspapers still have classified ads, and why so many 'ad rag' pubs are still printed.

The caution needed (on either end) of a personal transaction isn't new, and isn't limited to use of any particular medium.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jun 3 12:44:44 2018

Actually - seems more like an eBay transaction - except the guy with the bat is Bob Cupcake forcing me to take returns.

eBay was better before the cut rate management was allowed out of the basement/mental institution and given power to run things.

by: Scotty This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jun 3 21:47:02 2018

I would tend to say it is far more ''dangerous'' to a seller (in many ways besides physical harm), to sell on ebay than it is to sell on Craigslist.

This user has validated their user name. by: LasVagueness

Mon Jun 4 00:50:48 2018

I relate most to the "stand down, abort, abort" dude.

@pace306 Sometimes my only laugh of the day is your comments. I can also relate to your Bob Cupcake observation!

by: forrosebud This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 4 01:31:47 2018

I had inherited several Rolex watches along with all orig. paper work + cases. Advertised only one on CL and requested a meetup at the main SF Bank of America on Market. A perfect and safe place to transact business. And as it turned out, the 'buyer' also banked there. There is a large comfortable customer service seating area and it would a good spot for the buyer and myself to examine the watch together and hopefully he would agree to make the purchase. Plus, I thought if we favorably concluded our business, I could immediately deposit the cash in my BofA account. Buyer quickly pulled out his little tool case and began to remove the back of the watch. At that moment, the bank manager waltzed over and demanded to know what was going on. I quickly explained everything and that we would only be a few minutes more. We were asked to leave immediately...  I did ultimately sell the watch to this buyer and I also reported the BofA manager to his superiors and closed my account.

by: Ichabod This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 4 02:04:40 2018

I sell lots of stuff on CL and I always meet the buyer either at a Dairy Queen or at Walgreens, some place where there are a lot of people and/or very well lit and that has a lot of traffic. If I know for sure I am dealing with a woman, sometimes I will email them a picture of myself and my truck so they know exactly who to look for. I have never had a problem. The vast majority of my customers on CL are women and I want them to feel as comfortable as possible. I have never had anything like the video happen to me.

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 4 07:26:48 2018

That was sooo funny.  I subscribed to their channel.  They're going to be big TV stars soon.  Anyhow, I sell (and buy services) on Craigslist.  And I know where to meet and how to meet.  No problem.

This user has validated their user name. by: Bidonmine

Mon Jun 4 08:31:00 2018

My town has a buyer/seller area at the police station that is monitored and recorded 24/7. The new realities of the marketplace.

by: SadiesPal This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 4 11:19:04 2018

I sell on Craigslist and meet at a local flea market in NE Georgia. A friend of mine sets up at the same space every weekend and I meet all prospective customers there. The flea market is always full of people and my friend and I both concealed carry, so I never have any concerns about selling there. I suspect that a lot of my customers carry and I know that many of his customers carry considering that he sells.gun parts and other shooting related items.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Mon Jun 4 12:03:25 2018

About 1/2 the time I buy on Craigslist the seller asks to meet me somewhere.

As a seller on Craigslist I always have the buyer come to my house.

I have no need to play meet me here or meet me there!

Come to my address and pick up your item, I don't live in fear. . .99.99% of people are good, and that .01% I'm prepared for!

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Mon Jun 4 12:35:27 2018

"my friend and I both concealed carry, so I never have any concerns about selling there."

I would have concerns about buying there.  :)

by: Mr_Sheeny This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jun 5 00:49:25 2018

Have been selling on Facebook Buy, Sell, Trade groups for years and also now on Marketplace.  99% of buyers come to my house.  Occasionally a woman might not want to meet at seller's house; in that case the convenience store a block away works for both of us.

This user has validated their user name. by: LasVagueness

Tue Jun 5 18:39:48 2018

@toolguy I'm much more persuaded by the Bureau of Justice Statistics. :-)