Sun May 13 2018 21:55:25

eBay Promotions Prove Challenging These Days

We need a scorecard to keep track of the issues that have been plaguing eBay promotions recently. Here's what we're hearing from sellers (and buyers) about the latest issues. (We'll provide an update on the major eBay - WebInterpret snafu in a separate post.)

Read the Fine Print or Promotions Could Prove Costly
A reader wrote today to say she received an invitation to a seller promotion on Friday, activated it, and on Saturday listed several items. "In the past, I understood that new listings that satisfied the promo were "charged" against the number of promo listings and the monthly listings available would be "charged” last."

But, she said, the items she listed came off her monthly allotment instead of the promo allotment.

"As of this writing I have none of my monthly free listings available and all of my promo listings. In the process of listing another item and I see a listing charge on the bottom of the listing page."

When she called eBay, a rep told her to go ahead and list, as the credits would come through. "I wish I could truly believe him," she wrote. "Just wondering if anyone else had this issue with recent promos."

It could be related to a promotion that had some unusual conditions - many sellers seem to have missed the fact that a promotion for 100 free fixed-price listings required them to use Best Match on a 30-day duration listing - sellers in this thread said the promotion didn't clearly state the conditions and were buried in the Terms.

Lest you judge sellers too harshly, some noted that eBay reps couldn't provide them with the correct solution, and as is the case with the reader above, may have given out incorrect information that could prove costly to sellers.

Invitations Received after Promo Ended
A reader sent us a promotion she had received a day after it expired. "I got this "invitation" today, May 7 (and it was sent by eBay on May 7) to participate in a 100 free listings offer - that EXPIRED on May 6. Sheesh!" The promotion invitation stated: "100 more listings with no insertion fees? Yes, please!"

We also found sellers discussing what appears to be the same incident in several threads.

eBay Bucks Technical Issue
Buyers experienced an issue of their own - an eBay Bucks promotion sent out on May 11th initially wasn't working. "Good grief, another borked promo," a reader said. "This one appears to be a roulette-style game of chance to win 'up to $300' eBay bucks after making a purchase of $10 or more (if you can get there)."

An eBay moderator responded to buyers later that day, stating, "We did have a timeout issue with the promotion that was fixed at around 9:45 am PDT this morning. Let me know if you're still experiencing issues."

Let us know what you think of the types of promotions eBay is running and if you've encountered any technical issues.

Perminate Link for eBay Promotions Prove Challenging These Days   eBay Promotions Prove Challenging These Days

by: thriftyattireandstuff This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 14 00:12:53 2018

I received an invite to join Shiprush. Ebay claims they will cover the subscription cost AND I will get 50% back on my costs through a month in the form of money in my shiprush account toward shipping.  Do I believe this? No, frankly. But an eBay representative did call me and walk me through part of the process. So.. we shall see. I have printed labels already and am saving over Ebay shipping labels.. but where's the catch. I'm waiting for the hammer to drop. I guess the next step would be to check out my payment agreements through PayPal.  Curious if anyone else got this offer.

by: HardWorkingSeller This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 14 07:17:55 2018

Probably off topic but seeing as you ask - I got this non-generally available offer to use Shiprush with eBay's Pitney Bowes deal providing the USPS postage and I'm extremely happy with the arrangement.

I no longer pay a $30/month fee and I get USPS Commercial Plus (and Cubic!) pricing for both eBay orders AND those from my webstore.  For FedEx I can use my own account so that I can get a daily pick up.

It took a bit of work to set up Shiprush with all the label config work and the messaging templates but the effort was worth it as I can print all orders on 4x6 thermal labels (including 4 part international labels).

I recommend that you persevere with this as it's a great deal.

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 14 08:43:53 2018

TOO MANY PROMOTIONS!!!  The latest one is a dumb promo and I tweeted Ebay to let them know - 25% off final value fees on Collectibles sales

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 14 08:50:36 2018

Another day, another eBay screw up ... this from the "tech company!"

And GM wants DW cause ?????????????

by: DingDong This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 14 09:05:17 2018

I receive100 extra fixed priced listings - for free!

**100 extra fixed priced listings - for free!
Pay no insertion fees on up to 100 additional fixed-price listings.  ** COPIED FROM ACCT

I thought it was the normal free listings.
Listed 16 items and then check the amount left. There were no changes in the 100 free but my 50 free was reduced. I stared at it and realized that you click on "pay no insertion..."  that when it says that you also have to "ACCEPTS OFFERS".

YOU REALLY HAVE TO LOOK AT IT.

Worse part, those sellers that relisted 100 items and find out that they weren't free and ended up using their 50 or less Free listings and then CHARGED because they didn't have their listings with "Offers Accepted".

Another way for eBay to get money. Listing fees.

This user has validated their user name. by: RKTOYS

Mon May 14 09:34:39 2018

That 15% on Star Wars Day must've cost them so now they're trying to goose sales by encouraging lowball offers.

by: Whatever This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 14 09:59:37 2018

Ya'll did see this thread one ebay right? It's good reading but already fallen to page two
eBay money grabs through the years...
Just for fun, I've been trying to compile a list of eBay corporate money grabs through the years, and this is what I can remember. Have I left anything out?

1) Eliminate the 75% final value fee discount for bringing a customer to eBay through an affiliate link.

2) Reduce the 1.5% debit card cash back reward to 1%.

3) Kick eBates and their eBay cash back reward to the curb.

4) Reduce the 2% eBay Bucks loyalty reward to 1%.

5) Reduce the 20% TR-Plus seller final value fee discount to 10%.

6) Raise the final value fee to 10% (with discounts in some categories for store subscribers).

7) Charge a 10% final value fee on shipping.

8) Increase the basic store fee from $15.95 (Annual subscription) to $19.95, and then raise it again to $21.95.

9) Billion dollar stock buyback to boost the stock price so executives can cash in.

PayPal:

1) "Always Free! We make money on the float." Start charging fees.

2) Change the eCheck fee from a flat maximum of $5 to the standard, potentially much higher 2.9% + 30¢.

3) Eliminate discounts, so all sellers pay PayPal a 2.9% fee + 30¢ (3.9% for international), regardless of volume.

4) Keep the 30¢ fee if a refund is issued.

of course the post that followed posted additional fees she/he missed

when you look at it all together it's really pretty staggering

Still waiting for Paypal to launch their own selling venue - is it coming?

This user has validated their user name. by: RKTOYS

Mon May 14 12:53:45 2018

@Whatever
Missed a few actually.  FVF used to be progressive and lowered once you hit certain tiers.  I believe it was 25c to list and 2% FVF to start.  The PayPal mandate should be considered another fee hike.  Reserve prices used to be 75c or $1 and have been $2 or more for some time.  BIN's 30% margin (up from 10%) is a backdoor fee increase.  Subtitles used to be pretty cheap but aren't they like another buck and a half now?  Pretty sure the fee for a second category is up as well.

This user has validated their user name. by: FidoMaster

Tue May 15 12:52:12 2018

More broken eBay tech. Does anything they do actually work correctly when they roll to production?

I experienced the broken endless-loop broken eBay bucks wheel of doom fiasco. I laughed at the ridiculousness of the entire silly gimmicky come-on and the fact it was yet another broken-***, non-functional piece of eBay "technology".

Seriously, Wenig, Steve Fisher, RJ Pittman...all these guys oughta be ashamed at how busted everything on their platform always is.

How embarrassing.

by: strife This user has validated their user name.

Wed May 16 16:08:17 2018

Ebay employs nothing but bottom of the barrel  web monkeys from India and Pakistan to do their coding and maintain their site. So it's no wonder nothing works. You get what you pay for. Heir Wenig and his crack team of flowery marketing cover writing drones talk a lot. never actually say anything and have consistently not delivered on anything even remotely resembling any type of improvement for the site.