Tue May 1 2018 20:24:26

Sellers Stuck with eBay Guaranteed Delivery

eBay sellers are reporting that they are unable opt out of the Guaranteed Delivery program. In March, we wrote about a letter eBay sent many sellers telling them they would be entered into the program in May, but many said at the time they didn't want to be part of the program and were displeased to learn it was not an "opt in" program. eBay offered them no way to remove themselves from the program at the time.

eBay Guaranteed Delivery is just that - eBay guarantees buyers they will receive purchases by the date eBay displays for those listings that are eligible for the program and display the Guaranteed Delivery date. In some cases, eBay covers the guarantee, in some cases, sellers must cover the guarantee. eBay has announced, however, that it would cover the guarantee for late deliveries through the end of the year (2018).

In its March letter, eBay told sellers, "We want you to know you're always in control of how you sell. To remove yourself from the program at any time, visit Site Preferences, select eBay Guaranteed Delivery Setting, and click "I want to opt out of eBay Guaranteed Delivery.""

However, during a webinar, eBay managers said sellers would *not* be able to opt out until May.

A reader wrote today, "Several weeks ago eBay notified me that because of my excellent seller status, they were going to automatically enter me into the Guaranteed Delivery Program on May 1st. I have tried several times including today to find a way to opt out of this program but haven't had any success. Is anyone else having this problem?"

The answer is yes, we found several threads on the eBay discussion boards today where numerous sellers said they were unable to find a way to opt out of the program.

During the March webinar, eBay presenters had addressed a question from a seller who asked about opting out, and one of them told the seller, "To clarify on the opt-out, you can do that in May, not right now before you're in, right. You can't opt out before you're in."

As sellers worry about possible problems now that the calendar has turned to May 1st, eBay offered them no update. We sent an inquiry to eBay spokesperson Ryan Moore and the PR team today but received no response.

Perminate Link for Sellers Stuck with eBay Guaranteed Delivery   Sellers Stuck with eBay Guaranteed Delivery

by: Silver Ice King This user has validated their user name.

Tue May 1 20:47:16 2018

Surprise, Surprise.

by: Snapped This user has validated their user name.

Tue May 1 21:19:27 2018

''In its March letter, eBay told sellers, ''We want you to know you're always in control of how you sell...''''

Just let that one sink in for a sec.  If you can take the stink that long.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Tue May 1 21:33:56 2018

@Snapped - I was just about to post that quote. Does eBay think this is April 1st? I hope every time some new, heinous policy is announced which restricts the way sellers conduct their businesses, someone will post on eBay's discussion boards: "You said we are always in control of how we sell!"

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Wed May 2 01:21:18 2018

Ming's ebay Law #1:

EBAY LIES. ALWAYS HAS. ALWAYS WILL.

by: Paul W This user has validated their user name.

Wed May 2 01:57:37 2018

I am happy with GD-HT.  No need to opt out.  My sales are getting better.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Wed May 2 02:34:23 2018

Ina, that is a bit unfair and certainly misleading.  YES, absolutely when Ebay released that email they did NOT offer a way for a seller to opt out of the program.

But it also did not offer them a way to Opt in.  It would be very difficult to opt out of something that you were not yet even opt'd into.

The reader your quoted just needs to look at their email again.  It doesn't say May 1st.  It says in May.  It is an easy mistake to make.

No one is going to be able to opt out of the program until Ebay activates the program SOMETIME in May.

by: Disgruntled_Seller This user has validated their user name.

Wed May 2 03:47:17 2018

Who knows, maybe it will change tomorrow but we were emailed we were being opt'ed in and we are still opt'ed out. But we clearly at this time have a clickable link to do the opt in and I would assume, perhaps mistakenly, the opt out if chosen.

Interesting eBay words,

You guarantee same-day or one-day handling on the items you choose, and eBay determines and guarantees the delivery date to your buyer.
It's a great time to join! Through June 30, eBay will cover any late deliveries to buyers if they raise a case. This means eBay will provide the buyer the choice of a shipping cost reimbursement, free return label, or voucher toward a future eBay purchase.

**After June 30,** eBay will continue to cover late deliveries, as long as you meet your handling time commitment.

by: Disgruntled_Seller This user has validated their user name.

Wed May 2 03:54:23 2018

And as a check, I opt'ed in and as suspected I now have a link to opt out. Much to do about nothing.

by: Snapped This user has validated their user name.

Wed May 2 07:35:43 2018

Well gee wiz, of course one can't leave a room until one enters a room.

Though it does seem reasonable not to compel one to enter in the first place.

Especially if they're claimed to be in 'control' from the onset.

By the way, can anyone suggest what alternate month I might place May first 'in'?  I can't seem to find a calendar that doesn't include it, and it seems eBay isn't responding to queries for clarification....

by: frustrated This user has validated their user name.

Wed May 2 07:41:05 2018

Okay here's how it goes...

They opt you in, or you decide to "TRY" it.

Then suddenly 30% of your items are "delivered late"

WHOOPS you lost your TRS discount.

BS -- I do not work for nor do I control the USPS.
I do not work for nor do I control UPS, or Fedex.

IF they manage to take away all the discounts (I'm sure some bean counter has told them) they can increase their profits by 5-6 million a year.

This user has validated their user name. by: RavenNightMyst

Wed May 2 08:13:40 2018

For me, now as an occasional eBay ''buyer'', no longer a ''seller'', as long as the seller ships the shipping type noted in the listing, (stating Priority, instead shipping First Class, etc), and ships in the time frame they indicate, (stating 1 day, instead printing a label then not actually shipping for a week), I don't EVER hold them responsible for USPS fiascos. A ''guaranteed'' delivery date is not a priority for me. If I need it right now, I'll buy on Amazon, where I can get it the next day, for a nominal fee. (I'm in Alaska). I think eBay is setting up their sellers for failure. It's not in the seller's hand's how quickly or efficiently a carrier will deliver. It also causes undue stress.

I do however expect communication when there's an issue. There's nothing worse than apathy, dishonesty or lack of communication. I do the best job possible for my buyers, prompt communication right after the sale, ship safely on the same or the next day, and always include goodies. It's not hard, and many sellers have the same attitude. Thankfully, it's not that often I deal with the bad ones. I don't buy anywhere near as much as I used to on eBay, however.

This user has validated their user name. by: RavenNightMyst

Wed May 2 08:46:21 2018

Addendum:

I'm not saying sellers should include "goodies". I figured I'd better clear that up. I do because it makes people smile, and I think a lot of my return business was and is because adding a little lagniappe is one way I can say thank you.

by: RLS This user has validated their user name.

Wed May 2 08:51:47 2018

Your discount will be gone June 1, unless you offer free returns

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Wed May 2 09:30:59 2018

The GD program is simply a way to GENTLY COERCE sellers into providing PRIME level service for eBay - for FREE.

eBay knows it, seasoned sellers know it - its just a mind game.

All it means is that eBay will hide you a little LESS if you agree to their garbage - whoopee.

The reason GD program exists as it does is:

1) eBay REALLY has no intention of paying out claims - its a smoke screen. Its all the sellers fault (eBay ignores what USPS says)(they do it all the time to me on shipping date even though I ship next day %99 of the time)(they make me call in and fix the dates/times). On eBay its ALWAYS the sellers fault/problem/issue.

2) eBay has not yet found a way to charge a Prime type fee and keep it. If they instituted one - sellers would want their share (since its they who are doing all the work), and eBay would NEVER give up the funds!

Better off to create a fake program, convince buyers and Wall Street that you are actually "doing something" and use that opportunity to punish your sellers abit more.

by: Jim The St This user has validated their user name.

Wed May 2 09:33:36 2018

Like Green Eggs and Ham, disliking something you have not tried.
Working well for us.
The free returns on the other hand, well going to try it for a bit, adjusting prices up as necessary. If sales tank, prices come back down, and when our TRS discount goes for not participating, so will our other concerns other TRS compliance criteria.

by: b86fiero This user has validated their user name.

Wed May 2 09:55:07 2018

Marie,
Are you an eBay employee?  Or an independent PR contractor for eBay?  Or receive a stipend of any type from eBay?

No offense meant.  I'm just wondering as your comments appear to be 99% pro eBay all the time.

I understand the pretense of public debate in that by presenting both a pro and a con viewpoint, greater discourse will usually occur.  And hopefully, we will take away a better understanding of the issue.

I have found information I had forgotten about and new information presented here on ECB often gives me reason to ponder an issue and occasionally alter my opinion.

Thanks to all of you who post here.

by: DingDong This user has validated their user name.

Wed May 2 10:22:34 2018

I also went to my site preference to "opt out". I will be checking through the month, then.
BUT
Last month, I talked with the CSR when I received the noticed that I'm in the program for May. I was checking, because I have my handling time set for 3 days. While checking the listings from "outside", my listings show that I delivered in 3 days and not accounting the 3 day handling time.
Supposedly there is a work order because of this fault. BUT, my listings still show the delivery in 2 days.  This is going to be a mess when it starts.

by: cillianred This user has validated their user name.

Wed May 2 10:24:16 2018

At this point in time, there's really nothing to get overly upset about. As others have said, ebay has made it clear that you can't opt out until you're actually opted in (although it would have been nice to have been able to opt out ahead of time).

Now, if I had gotten up yesterday morning and seen that all of my listings were now part of the GD program, but I did NOT have a way to opt out, THEN there would have been a reason to be upset.

But that didn't happen, is still not the case today, and I have no reason to assume that it will happen when they finally get around to enrolling everyone they so kindly *gifted* into the program (yes, that is sarcasm).

Once you're opted in, you'll be able to opt out. Getting upset over something that didn't actually happen seems rather pointless.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Wed May 2 10:24:32 2018

@b86fiero

I'm pro eBay 99% of the time

I'm not an ebay employee or a contractor.

Just a small seller who's used eBay for 18 years to pay the bills. . .

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Wed May 2 10:36:13 2018

How about a guaranteed sales program.  No sale since last Thursday.  Seems like every year about this time eBay  pulls another level to push sellers down in search.  April was a really good month...what gives?

Another level pull, or Phase One Clusterfug issues?

1 2 3  [Next Page]