Sun Apr 1 2018 14:55:45

Are You Checking Your eBay Fees?

We received yet another report about eBay incorrectly assessing selling fees. The latest report:

"The eBay Bulk Editor Tool is generating and showing users erroneous fees for simple listing revisions that never have fees associated with them.

"For example, I revised the handling time on all of my current listings and was assessed $46 in  erroneous fees on the "submit changes" page.

"Typically once the user chooses "submit", the next page shows no fees or a slash mark through the fee amount. Some eBay users are reporting that they have been charged the "ghost" fees as they show in their invoice.

"When contacted, eBay informed them to take screenshots of the issue and to request refunds on any erroneous fees. One issue is that a screenshot can only be taken of separate pages and cannot show the entirety of the issue.

"Ultimately, eBay still needs to address and fix this ongoing error."

Unfortunately this is not an April Fools joke. Are you experiencing this issue or seeing any other problems?

In late February, there were similar reports - we'd love to get a follow-up from anyone who was impacted then.

More importantly, do you have a system for checking to see if eBay (and other vendors) are billing you correctly? And if you identify mistakes, is it easy to get reimbursed?

Are You Checking Your eBay Fees?   Are You Checking Your eBay Fees?

by: papergoy This user has validated their user name.

Sun Apr 1 15:37:43 2018

I noticed this about a week ago, called eBay and was told that they didn't think I was really being charged.  And it was only happening on a few items here and there- I'd say 20 items overall.  I didn't believe the CSR but figured my time was worth more than a dollar, so I ate the costs.  It's still happening from time to time- they've probably nicked me for two dollars total now.  Cost of doing business I guess....and when someone gets an attorney and files a class action suit, I will get five free listings or whatever for my trouble..so I've got that going for me.

Are You Checking Your eBay Fees?   Are You Checking Your eBay Fees?

by: FeelingFroggy This user has validated their user name.

Sun Apr 1 19:12:08 2018

@papergoy

LOL make my day.

We hardly check our fees. After 19 years and 5 stores we pretty much know what we owe. A few dollars lost makes fleabag feel good. Its not worth my time to call them and listen to the college age kids brain washed nonsense.

Are You Checking Your eBay Fees?   Are You Checking Your eBay Fees?

by: geoffreymason This user has validated their user name.

Sun Apr 1 21:07:44 2018

Do you think that this is really a glitch and is accidental? Maybe ebay is counting on bringing in a few extra bucks from users who are not paying attention.

Are You Checking Your eBay Fees?   Are You Checking Your eBay Fees?

by: Silver Ice King This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 2 00:01:25 2018

Ebay is desperate for growth in any way they can find it.  All the other sites are showing double digit growth and the only way Ebay shows any increase in growth is by overstating their gross revenue rather than reducing it by the corresponding expense that is located under expenses instead of as a reduction of revenue.  All these sudden sales at quarter end are just another example of how they will overstate revenues as they should be showing the ''Net'' amount of the sale after the discount but for Wall Street releases they have that information down under expenses which is a mis-statement of revenues.  I am sure it gets corrected for the audited financial statements but those never seem to be mentioned when released as the bottom line numbers are basically identical.  But they are grossly overstating their increased revenues each quarter when they announce them for Wall Street so the stock price will hopefully continue to climb as that is what Wenig needs to keep his job.

Are You Checking Your eBay Fees?   Are You Checking Your eBay Fees?

by: Barbbie This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 2 09:59:50 2018

Every time I look at the invoices I find something wrong, I am positive there are issues I cannot easily notice.
Mostly I find the nickel they have been charging me every month that is not associated with a listing that no one can figure out and are not moved to remove.
I find other listing enhancements that I never have used for 1.00 most regularly.
I do not check every month and normally will not call as I do not see them actually remove any fees from my bill. I just go into the listing and change it again.

Are You Checking Your eBay Fees?   Are You Checking Your eBay Fees?

by: Whatever This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 2 11:08:07 2018

just dispute the charges on your cc - they'll pay attention

Are You Checking Your eBay Fees?   Are You Checking Your eBay Fees?

by: NorthCoast This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 2 11:16:07 2018

I was recently charged $.30 for relisting an item that I never relisted.  How could that possibly happen? CS credited my account for the charge, but no explanation was given.

Are You Checking Your eBay Fees?   Are You Checking Your eBay Fees?

by: Frank F This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 2 14:06:42 2018

I was getting charged $4 for bold titles on a bunch of listings after relists. No way I checked it even accidentally. Then it happened again, and looks like if you just dragged your mouse lower to scroll down the page that it got checked. A click should be get it checked, not a scroll over... So deceitful as you know they make a fortune off of this kind of stuff if you multiple it by 100s of thousands that get impacted and don't notice...

Are You Checking Your eBay Fees?   Are You Checking Your eBay Fees?

by: Firefish This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 2 17:04:33 2018

I  cought  on to this about two months ago. But mine was ebay insertion fees. I would revise some posted items, then click post  all the sudden I would be charged for the revisions. I had called ebay several times about this. Because I had tons of insertion fees. They said they would look into it. I know one thing ebay is fee crazy. Makes one want to start selling on other sites like Bonanza.Also, ebay is raising site fees the first of May.

Are You Checking Your eBay Fees?   Are You Checking Your eBay Fees?

by: kazaly This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 2 22:44:11 2018

I've noticed one that's been going on for quite some time.
When FVF's are calculated, any rounding is always up, never down.
Applied fairly, rounding above .5 cents is upward and rounding lower than .5 cents is downward yet with eBay up is the only direction rounding ever goes.
A bit like the apocryphal tale of the bank teller who syphoned a cent from every bank statement and earned themselves significant money.

Are You Checking Your eBay Fees?   Are You Checking Your eBay Fees?

This user has validated their user name. by: LasVagueness

Tue Apr 3 19:51:24 2018

Thanks to this fine venue I now check my seller account monthly. I did have issues several months ago with insertion fees that were assessed in lieu of my allotted free listings on a second account but eBay quickly reversed the charges.

Are You Checking Your eBay Fees?   Are You Checking Your eBay Fees?

by: geoffreymason This user has validated their user name.

Tue Apr 3 21:42:53 2018

Today, I finished a listing, expecting a "zero" charge since I have plenty of my store listings still available; however, a charge of $6. was applied. I scrolled up and found that "bold" headline had been automatically checked, for which I was assessed the six bucks. When I "unchecked" the box, a line indicating that the optional charge for bold is $4. appeared. Using another computer for a different account, the "bold" charge was listed as $3. i spend as little as possible on ebay listing fees, so I guess that those of us with modest billing are hit with higher optional-service fees in ebay's variable system.

Are You Checking Your eBay Fees?   Are You Checking Your eBay Fees?

by: Silverdog This user has validated their user name.

Wed Apr 4 03:43:21 2018

i JUST WANT TO SAY THAT,  Silver Ice King , makes alot of good sense in his/her reply !! on this matter !!,......sorry the caps,lol

Are You Checking Your eBay Fees?   Are You Checking Your eBay Fees?

by: Constantly Questioning This user has validated their user name.

Wed Apr 4 12:36:36 2018

My first comment, just thought I would share..
I noticed on March 25th of this year that my account was being charged for insertion fees when revising listings. I called eBay when I first noticed it (on 3/25) and was told that their technical team was "working on it" and it would "be resolved within 48 hours". Afte

Are You Checking Your eBay Fees?   Are You Checking Your eBay Fees?

by: Constantly Questioning This user has validated their user name.

Wed Apr 4 13:02:37 2018

My first comment, just thought I would share..
I noticed on March 25th of this year that my account was being charged for insertion fees when only revising listings. I called eBay when I first noticed it (on 3/25) and was told that their technical team was ''working on it'' and it would ''be resolved within 48 hours''. After 9 days of no resolution, no credit to my account, and no word from eBay, I decided to call back. This representative said my account had been credited $2.66 to account for the fee mistakes. My next question is how he came up with the number $2.66 when fees are either .10 or .15 cents, depending on the format. Where did the penny come from??
After a ''reassessment'' and 77 minutes on the phone, he went through all of my transactions and calculated that I was overcharged more than $150 in the month of March, just for insertion fees while revising listings (which is obviously a lot higher than the original $2.66 they were so sure I was owed).. Not only have I still not been credited, and the problem still not resolved; I was actually told to refrain from revising / updating / editing any of my existing listings until the problem is resolved, which knowing eBay, could be months..
It is absolutely baffling..
I'm proud that I don't run my business like that..

I have stopped using eBay for any sort of financial information, including sales / costs / refunds / credits / cancellations / etc.. The numbers just don't add up. I decided a long time ago to go with my PayPal statement for as much as I can, since they seem to actually know how to add and subtract...

Are You Checking Your eBay Fees?   Are You Checking Your eBay Fees?

by: dasw This user has validated their user name.

Wed Apr 4 17:55:34 2018

I keep getting charged $4.00 or more for Advanced listing upgrade fees (bold listing) which I don't want to use. I double check before sending in every listing and the option is not checked and the fee is $0.00.  When I get the monthly invoice....there it is again. I go to revise the offending listing(s) and the option is checked and I have to remove it yet again.