Tue Mar 20 2018 15:25:02

eBay Runs Another Rare Sitewide Coupon Sale

eBay is running another sitewide coupon sale, the second this month. While coupon codes and sales are not unusual, what makes this sale rare is the fact that it isn't limited to a small number of sellers.

eBay held a similar sitewide sale on March 9th that gave shoppers 20% off items priced at $25 or more, with a $100 maximum discount

Today's 1-day sale is not quite as generous - it gives shoppers 15% off items priced at $25 or more, and discounts are capped at $50. Certain categories are excluded, such as Coins & Paper Money, Gift Cards & Coupons, and Real Estate categories.

Shoppers must use the coupon code (PSPRINGTIME) and take note of the time restrictions - the offer expires today (March 20, 2018) at 7 pm PT (that's 10 pm Eastern).

It remains to be seen whether these types of sitewide sales become more frequent, and if so, whether they will be restricted to the last month of the fiscal quarter to goose GMV numbers. Any theories on why it is subsidizing coupons to goose sales versus spending on marketing?

Be sure to read the terms for details and restrictions on the Promo page.

Perminate Link for eBay Runs Another Rare Sitewide Coupon Sale   eBay Runs Another Rare Sitewide Coupon Sale

This user has validated their user name. by: eXtinctBay

Tue Mar 20 17:00:09 2018

Since I have no real estate, coins, paper money, or gift cards, it would be expected to have at least one sale by now. STILL WAITING.......

This is laughable, because I get requests nearly every day to drop a price on something (even though I explicitly state that I do not accept offers).

The 20% off discount 10 days ago netted just ONE SALE for my business. Although it was pretty substantial.

How much of an increase in sales would Amazon have if they announced a 15 or 20 percent site wide sale with little to no restrictions?? Amazon Prime Day is wildly successful, for instance. The site would probably crash.

I have my fingers crossed that this will put at least a bit of money in my pocket today.

by: angryllama This user has validated their user name.

Tue Mar 20 17:12:45 2018

Well Fiddle-Dee-Dee.  I'm in favor of the GENERAL IDEA, but as fewer than 60 of my 1,600 current listings are OVER $25 I don't anticipate any RUSH of orders from this one day sale.  Hard to equate eBay STEALING 20 percent discount on FVF from those of use that are Top Rated Plus and then GIVING that saved $$ away to random eBay buyers instead.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Wed Mar 21 06:19:56 2018

eXtinctBay says "How much of an increase in sales would Amazon have if they announced a 15 or 20 percent site wide sale with little to no restrictions??"

So true.  I don't notice even a blip of an uptick in sales when they promote these schemes.

Had eBay not destroyed their most perfect ecosystem of sellers and buyers they wouldn't need these gimmicks. ALL sellers were making good money back in the day due to the fact that their items were visible. No rigged card game search back then.  No having to pay extra to be seen (and there is no guarantee that if you do pay extra that you will be seen). Guess where those sellers were spending a lot of their profits?  I remember spending a great deal of $$$ on eBay for supplies alone back then. Nowadays?  Z-E-R-O!

A coupon can't solve the problems that eBay have, and neither will continuing to blame and punish sellers for eBay's shortcomings.  Every draconian policy that they implement just hurt them more.

This user has validated their user name. by: RKTOYS

Wed Mar 21 08:30:20 2018

I've seen many of these flash sale coupons and 15% to 20% is pretty substantial but it has yet to result in a sale for me.  Right now I suppose I can blame it on peoples' futile attempt to prop up Toys R Us (Christmas, after they first went into bankruptcy, was when they needed you).

This user has validated their user name. by: RKTOYS

Wed Mar 21 10:58:36 2018

75 listings, roughly 1/3 of them with watchers, all ended unsold in the last several hours.  And with the "sorry your item didn't sell" spam came the "zomg lol relisting is easy" spam.  Who the hell came up with that anyway?  Now that's a second e-mail that I have to delete without reading that wouldn't even be necessary if they'd do their job bringing me customers.

by: b86fiero This user has validated their user name.

Wed Mar 21 12:39:47 2018

I used the promo code and was happy to get the 15% savings.  I usually have a few items in my cart or moved from my cart into ''save for later'' so it was a small nudge to make the purchases.

Last discount code I used to purchase shipping supplies.  This code I used to purchase display supplies for my jewelry business.

Perhaps if eBay had advertised the promo ahead of time there would have been more buyers and more sales.

This user has validated their user name. by: eXtinctBay

Wed Mar 21 12:55:07 2018

I think eBay is doing this as an experiment to see if this would work on a word-of-mouth basis. If they advertised the sale heavily, it would cost them a lot of money if successful.

Maybe next time we as sellers should call their local TV stations as soon as the announcement is made. One news channel where I live has a ''Deals Diva'' consumer reporter who sniffs out sales from both online companies and B & M stores and shows them to their viewers.

Just relying on users to post the sale on their social media networks is not enough. My sales for yesterday were certainly below average, so this promo did not really stimulate any business.

Anyone out there have any amount of success with this one-day discount???

by: ebayout This user has validated their user name.

Wed Mar 21 18:36:05 2018

Had 1 sale each per the 2 promos...and had to inform both buyers of their existence.
Not sure what ebay hopes to glean from statistical crap shoots like this.
I'm sure AI will make sense of it...or not.

This user has validated their user name. by: LasVagueness

Thu Mar 22 00:12:36 2018

I took full advantage of the coupons and purchased three $500 items to resell on eBay saving a total of $300 (using three different eBay accounts). Two of the items had undisclosed flaws. I'm exchanging one of the items for an identical item—different color, and hoping the dry cleaners remove the stains on the other item. No wonder some buyers shy away from eBay! Maybe these coupons will lure some back. P.S. I had no sales on coupon day.

by: smallstuff This user has validated their user name.

Thu Mar 22 01:38:48 2018

While eBay did not advertise these sales, they put it right on the eBay home page and sent an alert to the eBay phone app.  I got the message as soon as I checked my phone in the morning.  That is almost as good as advertising.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Thu Mar 22 02:33:12 2018

It is advertising.

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Mar 22 06:08:50 2018

EB needs to spend money marketing.  They need to look at some successful "newer" sites like Poshmark and copy what they are doing.  EB keeps fiddling around trying to get their sales up, don't they realize their sellers MAKE the company.  It's not like AMZ which has a private label, warehouses and shipping.  It's US the sellers who make the company.  Has EB ever polled their sellers to see if the coupons are working?

This user has validated their user name. by: MainelyVintage

Thu Mar 22 15:12:16 2018

No sales for us on the 'Bay, although we have added some exciting new items (we thought).

We did some buying though. Shipping supplies.

This user has validated their user name. by: FidoMaster

Thu Mar 22 20:21:26 2018

Theories on why it is subsidizing coupons to goose sales versus spending on marketing.
A couple thoughts…
• eBay’s marketing expenses are already MASSIVE.  In Q4 ’17 at nearly $700M, as a percentage it jumped faster than revenue.  Perhaps eBay intends to capitalize these coupon events instead of recording them as an expense
• GMV boost excludes discounts, thus can eBay report pre-coupon GMV for these flash sales
• Fast results (compared with traditional advertising).  Notice this wasn’t a “St. Patricks Day” sale like many retailers, this was just another “flash sale” coupon.  I'm sure result data and metrics are being very closely analyzed.
• eBay doesn’t want discount advertising to conflict with their rebranding creative
• Also agree on experiment/data collection benchmarking that extinctbay brought up

They need to be careful consumers don't become conditioned to end of month/quarter flash sales to have buyers defer purchases.

I wonder if there will be one more before April Fool's day...

by: KimmelleCo This user has validated their user name.

Thu Mar 22 23:05:19 2018

I took advantage of the 20% coupon to buy shipping boxes for sterling flatware. As a a seller I had 3 sales that would have qualified for the coupon.  I noticed that on each of my 500 buy-it-now listings there was a green message under the price stating "See how you can get this for $____" and then it gave the new price after the coupon discount. I thought this was great for anyone who may not have seen the home page banner.

by: BargainzBabylon This user has validated their user name.

Thu Mar 22 23:38:05 2018

@KimmelleCo - I noticed the same thing when I spent my coupons - it was a great idea!

Still, it's a lot of money eBay is throwing around. My assumption is trying to prop up sagging Q2 earnings and the first coupon didn't turn the trick so they had to do another. I had only two sales that day, despite listing everything I could get my hands on in anticipation.

Hopefully they don't get too carried away with it and condition their market as mentioned above, or it'll be like those giant free listing sales they used to have where some sellers would sit on thousands of dollars worth of listings just waiting for another free listing sale (guaranteeing that NOTHING got sold i.e., no FVFs for eBay).

This user has validated their user name. by: LasVagueness

Fri Mar 23 01:45:55 2018

eBay had yet another blockbuster coupon today. 20% off with code PRETTYBOY plus (!!!) 15% eBay Bucks (linking through mrrebates.com provides another 1.5%). Bought three more items using three different accounts. Again, no one took advantage of my merchandise...no sales for days.

This user has validated their user name. by: FidoMaster

Sat Mar 24 11:59:24 2018

Crazy the frequency of the coupons and ebay bucks promos in March.

C-suite must have HEAVY bonus incentives tied to 1st qtr GMV.

by: Lahav-CampaignGO This user has validated their user name.

Sat Mar 24 14:13:36 2018

@Chicago48

You are absolutely right, seller makes the eBay!
I have a lot to say but why to waste my good time It's worthless.

This user has validated their user name. by: FidoMaster

Tue Mar 27 16:42:56 2018

Good Grief.  Yet ANOTHER site-wide coupon, this one's 15% off again.  Ends 8PM PST today.

Juice that GMV for your mega Q1 bonas Wenig!  At least we know where all these fee increases are allocated.