Fri Dec 14 2018 00:08:21

Are You Experiencing Holiday Shipping Delays?

Are you experiencing holiday shipping delays? Or should we ask, are you experiencing holiday shipping delays yet?

There are rumblings today from online sellers who are starting to see delivery delays of their packages. And impatient buyers are compounding the issue.

On Amazon, sellers who ship their own packages via USPS said they're seeing delays already, with Christmas still more than a week away. Some are also saying Amazon is refunding buyers who complain of late delivery, only to have the package arrive at the buyer's address after Amazon docked the sellers' accounts.

On eBay, some sellers pointed to delays at specific USPS facilities including New York and Florida. One seller said their postal carrier told them the Postal Service pulled several carriers off his route so they could concentrate on delivering Amazon packages - obviously that's an unconfirmed report heard second hand about a single mail route. However, it does give one pause given the confidential nature of the contract (NSA) between Amazon and the USPS - we don't know what penalties the USPS may have agreed to in the event of late deliveries of Amazon packages.

Let us know if you're seeing any issues or delays with the packages you're sending with the carriers you use. The clock is ticking, and the joyous spirit of Christmas may be turning to crazed panic by procrastinating gift givers.

Perminate Link for Are You Experiencing Holiday Shipping Delays?   Are You Experiencing Holiday Shipping Delays?

by: Vernfern This user has validated their user name.

Fri Dec 14 04:05:01 2018

I have been seeing some serious delays as a buyer this holiday season. While Amazon purchases arrive quickly, other packages are slower than usual and becoming a frustration. I recently had a package be "stuck" at the local post office for 4 days while Amazon Prime packages were showing up quickly. In fact while one package was setting stagnant at the post office, an Amazon order was placed and delivered. Hmm.

I have been questioning myself if I am becoming spoiled due to the quick Amazon deliveries or if other packages are being delayed while Amazon items take priority.

The worst delays are with SmartPost and SurePost packages where FedEx and UPS handle them and hand packages off to the USPS for final delivery. FedEx and UPS packages seem to be arriving normally or with just slight delays. It clearly seems the USPS is overloaded with packages more this year than in the past.

by: sasikat9 This user has validated their user name.

Fri Dec 14 05:52:54 2018

Shipping delays as a buyer NO. We use Amazon Prime only NO GREEDBAY.

Now shipping delays as a greedbay seller. NO. No sales translates into no shipping delays. Closing both of our anchor stores this morning until after the first of the year. We refuse to have to worry about some package that is taking a postal world tour.

by: Silver Ice King This user has validated their user name.

Fri Dec 14 07:14:23 2018

I have been noticing delays from USPS for not only First Class packages but also for Priority Mail.  First Class has been taking anywhere from 10-30 days and Priority Mail that was supposed to be delivered in 2-3 days has been taking closer to 6 days.  This has been happening with both incoming and outgoing packages but I have found that any package that was going through PA seems to take much longer than normal or even needs to have a follow up to shake it loose by the seller.  I had one seller send me an item that never arrived and then to replace that sent another that wound up taking 3 weeks to arrive, and then only after he was told that he needed to call USPS because it was stuck somewhere (did not move from PA for 10 days) but after his call showed up in a city that I never see on any of my deliveries.  But it did show up 3 days after that inquiry.

by: amazedndazed This user has validated their user name.

Fri Dec 14 07:39:45 2018

I have seen huge delays this holiday season. Priority mail packages are taking 10 days or longer. Of course, Amazon packages are usually prompt, but I have had a few of those late as well. I had the USPS tell me that Amazon has priority, & that is just not right. The tracking is not being updated, & it is impossible to tell where the first class packages are.

by: sellerchick This user has validated their user name.

Fri Dec 14 09:55:50 2018

My carriers also confirm that Amazon packages get special handling before anyone else. TX, FL, IL & NJ have had 14 day delivery times for first class. Also scan forms are rendered useless as now all they say is "shipment accepted, package receipt pending" and carriers confirm NO ONE at the facility manually scans anything that was on a scan form because "they don't have to" and packages don't get any updates until they arrive at destination postal facilities.

by: hopeforthebest This user has validated their user name.

Fri Dec 14 10:04:12 2018

I sent out a lot of packages USPS First Class Mail during the Thanksgiving weekend holiday, and they've just been arriving over the past few days,

I've had to refund a number of impatient/freaked out/aggressive buyers ( mostly Ebay but some Etsy ), who then email me to say the package arrived the day after the refund.

A few offer to repay, but most are just ignoring it, free product for Christmas I suppose. :(

by: angryllama This user has validated their user name.

Fri Dec 14 21:09:34 2018

@hopeforthebest    Sadly This is NOT the time to try TOO HARD to be a People Pleaser.
I'm not saying this to BLAME YOU, but honestly, eBay has a policy that so long as the CARRIER (USPS) shows having ACCEPTED and then VALIDATED their possession by at least ONE MORE scan, You, Me, All Ebay sellers are supposed to be COVERED.  By that I mean DO correspond with your buyers and DO sympathize with their concerns, but do NOT ROLL OVER and take hit after hit just because the BUYER thinks that somehow INDIVIDUALS selling thru eBay have even the faintest HINT of STROKE when it comes to getting post office, FedEx OR UPS  to JUMP TO IT and Deliver THAT Buyer's package.

by: shut1968 This user has validated their user name.

Sat Dec 15 19:16:48 2018

Yes, severe in some cases been going on since the last week of November and NONE of the marketplaces are even mentioning it. Even one package going latterly an hour from here has been 4 days now for First Class Mail, a First Class Package to Dallas Texas is over 14 days and still tracking daily, customers are complaining daily blamming us even though everything is shipped within 1 biz day.. the best one is a guy from Canada whose package took 2 months to get delivered because of the strike.. blames us 100%.  This is the absolute worst holiday shipping issues we've had in 20 years.

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Sun Dec 16 05:09:35 2018

DELAYS ?
DELAYS ?
I'll tell ya what's going on :
USPS has lost FIVE of our utility bills THIS YEAR.
One of my customers waited TEN DAYS to get his 2 DAY Priority package.
SABOTAGE is what it is.
SABOTAGE.
WEED OUT THE BASTARDS.

by: NTV This user has validated their user name.

Mon Dec 17 01:26:16 2018

We have seen issues where DHL Global mail sat on tens of 1000's of orders on 11/26 and 11/27 because they were overloaded and didn't process them for 10 days

This user has validated their user name. by: DeathFromAbove

Mon Dec 17 02:02:51 2018

Wonder how many freebies ebay is going to give out for "guaranteed delivery" failure?  We are talking hundreds of thousands of items that will miss the arbitrary dates, and be eligible for "free" returns, and/or $5 vouchers.

Odds seem high that "guaranteed delivery" will end by March. The more likely alternative is that sellers will be forced to pay for missed USPS delivery times, and there will be no way to "opt out".  The "Devin" is in the details.

"However, it does give one pause given the confidential nature of the contract (NSA) between Amazon and the USPS - we don't know what penalties the USPS may have agreed to in the event of late deliveries of Amazon packages."  Can some state PLEASE sue amazon for anti-trust practices already?

by: Moonwishes This user has validated their user name.

Mon Dec 17 02:45:04 2018

I haven't heard of any delays from what I have sent. I just spot checked a few of last week's shipped items and found that one package shipping from PA to CA got there in 2 days! and another PA to MI took 4, and one going from PA to HI 3 days. So currently no trouble. I think part of it is I have a great PO, my mail lady scans everything she picks up (her husband sells online so she may have a different perspective than some carriers). My PO is very efficient and well run and I don't have problems with the usual personnel, only substitute carriers.

Of course, I don't know how things will go as we get closer to Christmas though.

by: Moonwishes This user has validated their user name.

Mon Dec 17 02:45:06 2018

by: savingmom This user has validated their user name.

Mon Dec 17 07:44:38 2018

We have been seeing USPS delays for a couple of weeks. The worst is international. I seriously had an Express package going to Australia arrive at our regional sorting facility, sit there for a week, sent on to a facility about 50 miles away, sit there for 2 days, and then sent back to me, where the carrier delivered it.  $30 for a 250-mile round trip. No note, no explanation -- the post office couldn't even explain it. The label was intact and correct and there was nothing wrong with the box. Ever since they took the Amazon contract, USPS has not been able to handle the volume of packages. I opted out of guaranteed delivery in October. Sure, eBay covers late deliveries (for now) but they still ding you for it. Why would any seller go for that is beyond me, unless they ship exclusively via UPS.

by: Barbbie This user has validated their user name.

Mon Dec 17 10:25:30 2018

when checking the usps site for customers I noticed the dates seem to be longer than usual for example a priority package with 3 days mailed today is estimated for Friday at the earliest.  Noticed it for about a week now, they seem to be extending the estimated dates. At least USPS is realizing the importance of giving a realistic date even if ebay and other sites are not.
The venues all seem to all want to give buyers an illusion that they will receive when they want instead of a realistic time frame.  Instead they are making a reality for unhappy online burned buyers who will go to the B&M store next year instead of purchasing online.

by: Timbo This user has validated their user name.

Mon Dec 17 11:16:53 2018

Like everyone else, many of my USPS Priority Mail 2-3 day packages have been taking up to 8 or 9 days to deliver. For the last month I having been sending a special note to all of my eBay customers informing them that I have no control over USPS and that deliveries will most likely arrive well after the stated delivery time.

This is inexcusable on the part of USPS and it's very clear what's going on here - AMAZON. Don't let anyone tell you different - AMAZON packages are the number one priority for USPS and everyone else is getting 2nd and 3rd rate service.

My son is an Amazon diehard and any of his packages that are shipped through USPS arrive within the stated delivery 100% of the time.

My former postal carrier who was the union steward for his local told me many times that the number one customer of USPS is AMAZON and they will do everything possible to keep them happy. He told me flat out that my business meant nothing to the postal service and that management had repeatedly made it clear that AMAZON packages take precedence above all else.

There needs to be a congressional investigation into AMAZON'S relationship with USPS as far as I'm concerned. Everyday Americans who have supported USPS over the years are being treated very unfairly and this needs to stop!

by: Timbo This user has validated their user name.

Mon Dec 17 11:27:19 2018

For the last month, 8-9 day deliveries for Priority Mail have been the norm. I guess there is no thing such as Priority Mail 2-3 day delivery unless you are a privileged customer by the name of AMAZON.

My recently retired postal carrier (who incidentally was the union steward for his local) told me on many occasions that USPS management made it exceedingly clear to their employees that AMAZON is king. AMAZON is to always be treated as the top priority and delivery of their packages takes precedence above all else.

I've actually had days where my mail didn't get delivered to my residence and yet my son's AMAZON package was special delivered to our doorstep by USPS!

Congress needs to investigate the relationship between USPS and AMAZON. Every day ordinary folks like you and me continue to be cheated and deserve better treatment.

by: sellerchick This user has validated their user name.

Wed Dec 19 18:28:16 2018

Usual suspects with terrible delivery: TX, IL, FL, & NJ. Nothing new. Not to mention they don't even scan packages at our local sorting facility anymore, and they've taken the teeth out of scan forms by replacing their scans with vague language"shipment received, package acceptance pending" WTH