Fri Oct 19 2018 09:10:12

Unfortunate Consequences of Etsy Cropped Photos

Some sellers are upset that Etsy has cropped their photos that they've worked so hard on to show their products in the best light. For some users, visiting shops now show thumbnails of listings cropped to be square so that all sides are cut off.

"My pics are all "zoomed in" and now sides are cut off. Looks terrible. I've worked hard to present my shop in the best way and now it looks ruined.... I hope this is a bug and not a permanent thing," one seller wrote.

Sellers have reported it as a bug on the Etsy forums, while some assume it is a test Etsy is running, since only some people see it. Some are uncertain whether they should edit their photos to look better with the new dimensions, but others warn against that since it may only be a temporary change.

One seller started a discussion thread to show how the cropping negatively impacted their shop. One of the cropped images showed their product with words cut off so that it read:

UCK
OCKS
OR
GINA

For those who didn't understand why the seller thought the cropped image was "rude," a colleague explained, "Add some letters to the beginning of some of those words and it looks like it says something obscene." The actual product is for an item that reads "Luck rocks for Regina."

A reader who brought the issue to our attention said, "Etsy's latest photo test is causing havoc and hilarity," but even those who found the screenshot humorous were sympathetic to the seller's plight.

Unintended consequences of testing is another reason online marketplaces often promise to put a moratorium on changes during the holiday shopping season.

Perminate Link for Unfortunate Consequences of Etsy Cropped Photos   Unfortunate Consequences of Etsy Cropped Photos

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Fri Oct 19 10:13:52 2018

I also get a warning message when uploading photos, if photos are less than 1500 pixels wide.  1500 pixels seems awfully large if one wants quick internet downloads.

This user has validated their user name. by: CanBrit

Fri Oct 19 10:32:15 2018

I've just been ignoring the image exclamation point and listing the pictures the way I always have. They look fine even now.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Fri Oct 19 12:47:04 2018

I can make up some good naughty words using the parts of words shown above.

by: Faro This user has validated their user name.

Fri Oct 19 20:03:39 2018

Hello,

I’ve been selling on etsy for over 12 years and I always roll with the changes. But this move has tossed such a wrench in the appearance both of my shops and I am very angry.

About 2 years ago, we were told to use 8x10 rectangles with minimum dimensions, this change cuts my images to squares and my well planned shop presentation is now a complete mess.

If this orientation becomes a requirement, I’ll have almost 500 listings to reshoot, and frankly, I JUST finished doing that per their last requirements. I don’t want to have to do it again. I’m very unhappy with even being used for this testing. No notice. No forum response. No actual phone. Canned answers by email.

Testing again, just as holiday shopping gets started with no time to prepare for this “possible upcoming change” and really, we shouldn’t have to deal with this at all right now.

This was my best year on etsy yet, both shops are humming along. We work our bottoms off and etsy kicks us square in the a_ _, every single holiday shopping season and it’s just ridiculous.

I feel so sorry for the seller in your post, she is an example of the worst case of these cropped images, the entire banner category is a mess. I just don’t understand why they refuse to listen, or see.

Not posting anonymously.

Faro
OhFaro
OhFaroBasement

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Sat Oct 20 08:14:50 2018

Faro, I don't know what has gotten into Etsy. Did they hire a bunch of eBay ex-employees?

There is a lot of moving of the furniture at Etsy these days.  Folks testing, experimenting and doing nothing more than justifying their jobs by creating unnecessary change.

They went public.  Monetize, monetize, monetize, even if it means hurting your customers (their sellers).

by: Bubbles This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 22 00:20:08 2018

The CEO of Etsy is ex eBay exec so I guess we can expect more of this disruption. Just when I thought I had found a friendly site to list on - alas. Looks like they will go the way of eBay with all this fiddling with the site when it was just fine before.

by: rover This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 22 00:23:06 2018

Just another example of experimentation by the bunch of muppets who run this organization and the absolute contempt they show for those who pay their wages.

by: lalaland This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 22 01:11:40 2018

I have been getting the warning triangle on etsy also.  As a rule, I just resize eBay pix and have no problem.
 Now, I don't know what to do.  If they are supposed to be 1500 pixels wide, what is the other dimension supposed to be?

by: traciking This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 22 08:53:22 2018

Please tell me how distorted photos in shops are supposed to boost sales, more buying or more revenue. Doesn't anyone at Etsy care even the slightest that the holidays are the best sales periods, so why make a mess of shops during that time?  There is no one to ask why this is happening now and what sellers should do about distorted images?  Reshooting could mean reshooting again if the test fails, which surely it must.

by: orglamix This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 22 10:41:41 2018

I thankfully have been using 1:1 photos from my Shopify (my main focus) for Etsy. 1500 x 1500 is huge. I would think 1000 x 1000 would suffice.

I notice the original post on Etsy had been deleted.
"This post has been removed."

This user has validated their user name. by: Fly on the Wall

Mon Oct 22 11:25:57 2018

Etsy needs to CHILL with their constant changes already, before I and many more sellers run from the site. Geez! 🤔

by: funkygrrl This user has validated their user name.

Tue Oct 23 08:15:25 2018

Actually, former Etsy CEO Chad Dickerson started the practice of running tests on a live site rather than a sandbox (and without informing sellers.) Devin Wenig took a page from Chad and now eBay is doing it too.