Mon Oct 15 2018 13:36:39

Etsy Popups: Irritating or Enticing to Shoppers?

Clicking on a seller's listing on Etsy yesterday, I was startled when a pop-up appeared. It showed a picture of the item I was looking at with the message in very large type, "This could sell out soon." The popup box traveled as I scrolled down the page.

To its credit, Etsy announces the tests it's running, and we had written about it on October 1st. But in the announcement, Etsy called the pop-up a "banner."

It's possible Etsy first started with banners and graduated to pop-ups, but there's definitely a big difference between the two terms.

Some sellers reacted on the Etsy discussion board. One called it a "hard sell" and said it should stop, another said they didn't stick around on sites where there were pop-ups, and another said they feared buyers would think it was the seller who made the pop-ups appear rather than Etsy.

Even if Etsy finds it helps boost conversion rates, it would have to be judicious in using it, since it seems buyers would start to tune it out (or tune out Etsy) if it displayed it to shoppers frequently.

We use pop-ups on our site to support our mission of offering free content to visitors, and we control it with cookies so as not to overwhelm readers. Etsy may encounter less resistance if it gives control to sellers on when they wish to use it, if they wish to use it.

What do you think of the test Etsy is running, would you be in favor of it if it helped turn window-shoppers into buyers? And does anyone think the test will give other marketplaces ideas?

Perminate Link for Etsy Popups: Irritating or Enticing to Shoppers?   Etsy Popups: Irritating or Enticing to Shoppers?

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Mon Oct 15 14:58:51 2018

When I saw the title "Etsy Popups," I thought it referred to popup shops. About once a month, the local Westfield Mall is filled with tables of Etsy sellers' merchandise.

by: maxmad This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 15 15:40:23 2018

I have had PopUp's blocked since they were invented,

by: DingDong This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 15 15:49:03 2018

This gimmick is very irritating and I avoid sites like this.
I have to be really desperate and need the item to go through all these gimmicky tricks and tactics.

by: TomH This user has validated their user name.

Tue Oct 16 04:22:21 2018

I also have blocked PopUp's whenever possible. Tend not to revisit sites that think they are a great thing to do.  I hate even more, so-called news sites that automatically start a video feed without my requesting.....

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Tue Oct 16 06:28:51 2018

If I were greeted with pop-ups at ANY site I would leave immediately.  It is beyond annoying.  It's the used car salesmen of ecommerce.

by: hopeforthebest This user has validated their user name.

Wed Oct 17 11:50:30 2018

I've blocked banners and popups, so I've never seen them.

by: Just Plain Irritated This user has validated their user name.

Thu Oct 18 01:51:25 2018

They scream of desperation.

by: cvsharkey This user has validated their user name.

Thu Oct 18 05:31:58 2018

Popup=bad

by: felyne This user has validated their user name.

Thu Oct 18 06:27:20 2018

Pop Ups blocked here as well. Cheesy and desperate.

by: Noneya This user has validated their user name.

Thu Oct 18 09:44:37 2018

Ad blocker, I never see popups.

by: Sierra This user has validated their user name.

Thu Oct 18 11:04:41 2018

''I hate pop-up Newsletter boxes too, those thrown in your face the second you visit the web-site.''

Hey Magnolia, I'm looking at you!

Chances are I'm looking at your site because of something I saw in your advertising emails!

by: Tiffee Jasso This user has validated their user name.

Fri Oct 19 14:57:23 2018

I avoid all pop-ups since that is how hackers get into your computer and kill it or steal your banking info. I close my browser when one comes up and do not go back.

by: Sierra This user has validated their user name.

Fri Oct 19 16:08:50 2018

@Tiffee - there are numerous ways for hackers to get into your computer which don't involve pop-ups.