Mon Aug 28 2017 21:53:24

eBay Closes Half.com This Week, Sellers Prepare

It looks like eBay is hoping no one will notice that its media site Half.com is closing its doors this week.

It notified sellers in June, as we previously reported, but visitors to the site might easily miss the announcement, and there has been no notification on the eBay Seller Announcement Board.

Confusing matters - a Half.com seller said they received an email earlier this month encouraging them to list books on the site, according to their post on the discussion boards.

One user noted they'll miss the wish list feature - be sure to copy yours if you compiled a reading (or listening or watching) list.

Sellers, are you prepared for the closure of HDC, as it was often called? Will you miss it, and where will you sell instead?

eBay Closes Half.com This Week, Sellers Prepare   eBay Closes Half.com This Week, Sellers Prepare

by: mcposty This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 28 23:53:11 2017

Proof ebay managers are horrible at business.

It's laughable if it wasn't devastating small businesses everywhere

by: T.C. Tom This user has validated their user name.

Tue Aug 29 10:24:20 2017

I will miss it, but it was surprising how almost 20 years later _many_ people that I mentioned half.com to had never heard of it.  I would have things listed there sometimes for much less than the same item on Amazon, and only the dreaded "drop shippers" seemed to find them.

I am now hoping that eBay will become the "go to" site for used DVD's, now that Amazon has its senseless restrictions on who can list high value DVD's.

Also, correct me if I am wrong, but it seemed that things for sale on half.com rarely showed up in bookfinder.com searches. (Books listed on ebay or alibris are very quickly visible to bookfinder.com). I have to assume that half.com had a robots.txt setting to prevent "crawling" , which just seems like one more sign of how little eBay cared about half.com

Tom

This user has validated their user name. by: DeathFromAbove

Thu Aug 31 02:32:14 2017

I'm glad eBay offered to transfer my 700 listings over to eBay before silently shutting it down.  Thanks for your help, you inept !@#$wits.

Hopefully this latest punchable head photo ''person'' that they attach to blog posts as a ''VP of seller experience''.  AKA, the persona they ''hired'' to replace Hal ''Hack'' Lawton - will make everything great again.  We'll have to see what needless splash this fresh terd decides to make in the bowl.  I'm sure whatever it is, it will be a huge disruptive and expensive change, right in the middle of the holiday sales rush.

This user has validated their user name. by: Philo

Thu Aug 31 05:59:47 2017

They have been promo-ing the hell out of it the last few weeks.  I even google searched to see if they were closing it and found nothing.  I think they are keeping it open.

by: digger This user has validated their user name.

Thu Aug 31 07:38:54 2017

I enjoyed selling on Half.com when it was at 15% but not at 25%.  It was a great place to list paperbacks and I had over 9000 listings there. Spent weeks raising my prices when they announced the commission increase, and now it is all gone. Very poor management with no offer to transfer items into eBay

by: themmis This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 4 15:41:06 2017

I must have missed the notice in June. I found out about it when I went to print a label for the book I sold and it redirected me to the ebay page.  So what am I to do with the items that I still want to sell?  If you want me to sell them on ebay, you need to provide a way to transfer them over. It would take too long to transfer over individually.   Just another screwover for the little guy.  Thanks a lot.