Wed Apr 5 2017 14:36:22

How Much Buyer Frustration Is Too Much for eBay?

If your customers told you they were unable to pay for their item this week because they were unable to redeem their eBay Bucks rewards, they were likely telling the truth.

We heard from a few readers that they had been unable to use their eBay Bucks on Monday, and say they received word from the company today that the problem has been fixed.

Sellers have little choice when it comes to glitches, but that's not the case with buyers. One frustrated buyer wrote on the eBay boards that they had spent 3 hours trying to redeem their eBay bucks on Monday.

An eBay moderator acknowledged there was a technical issue, but members quickly pointed out it would have saved customers' time and frustration if eBay had announced the problem.

"Is this fair that someone is wasting hours to try to get the eBay bucks to work or calling and it's a known problem that is not announced? At least if it was announced many posters like myself, Dk and all the others would have an answer for all these posters from M2M board to Tech board, to buying board, to Payment board."

Instead of acknowledging the point, the moderator returned to say the impact of the problem wasn't big enough, writing, "While issues like this can cause frustration, they don't always have a large enough impact to warrant an announcement on our Announcement Board."

Sellers have to deal with technical issues - and the lack of communication about such problems - but buyers can go elsewhere. Do you feel eBay is as "customer obsessed" as other marketplaces and retailers?

How Much Buyer Frustration Is Too Much for eBay?   How Much Buyer Frustration Is Too Much for eBay?

This user has validated their user name. by: JusTrains

Wed Apr 5 15:11:29 2017

REALLY?

The malfunctional failure was across the board from what eBay TOLD me when I couldn't redeem my eBucks on April 1-3. I finally called them and was told they knew of the problem since April 1st and were (still) working on it. They got it fixed yesterday (the 4th) and I even got an email PLUS a phone call from eBay (WOW) to tell me so.

I suspect they thought it was just a quickie fix so maybe that was why they didn't announce it... but that's not what it turned out to be, HA!

by: Ichabod This user has validated their user name.

Wed Apr 5 15:19:28 2017

While issues like this can cause frustration, they don't always have a large enough impact to warrant an announcement on our Announcement Board."  I guess it depends on which side of the fence you are standing on whether or not it is a big deal or have "enough impact".

by: RL15 This user has validated their user name.

Wed Apr 5 15:39:59 2017

way to go fleabay, keep that downward spiral.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Wed Apr 5 17:10:55 2017

"Do you feel eBay is as "customer obsessed" as other marketplaces and retailers?"

No. Ebafia still hasn't figured out who their customers are.

Many of ebafia's best sellers are the ones who are "customer obsessed" (in a good way) yet are being punished for excellent customer service and responsible sales practices that ebafia can't match and never has.

Of the hundreds of ebafia failings that are and have contributed to their slide into e commerce irrelevance, among the worst is a corporate wide malaise in which there is never any sense of urgency to fix "glitches" that don't immediately their bottom line.

Typical of a minor league management team.

by: f4f This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 6 00:36:11 2017

This hurts buyers too (and, in turn, sellers) - I encountered numerous errors when trying to pay for my items in the last week or two, and wound up with several nonpayment strikes on my account EVEN THOUGH I communicated with the sellers about the issue. This means there are some items I won't be able to bid on or buy, hurting those sellers needlessly.

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Thu Apr 6 00:36:52 2017

BEWARE : hanginintheburg is the seller who, after I told him the checkout wasn't working (a glitch that lasted 1 week across Ebay), could I send him a Postal Money Order for the item, he said "sure send it over". So, I did...$95.00. He never sent the item, Post Office copy shows he signed and cashed the money order. Hold your comments. Common decency and honesty is dead.

by: handmedownheaven This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 6 01:36:18 2017

Cueing up the theme song to "Titanic" as I think about eBay.  Glad I chose to do my own thing

by: Barbbie This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 6 09:02:42 2017

I have not had any buyers tell me that they were unable to pay this week. However, my sales are way down.
About 2 weeks ago, I had tons of unpaid items, way more than usual. But since April 1 no new unpaid.

by: dans parts This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 6 09:25:26 2017

Had a similar problem yesterday.

Buyer wanted to buy 4 of my FP items, which I have set to immediate payment.  Instructions in the auction description tell Buyers to contact me with multiple items they want & I'll revise the auctions to delete the immediate payment, and then they can click the Buy It Now button and not have the PayPal "DO IT NOW" screen in front of them (immediate payment).  When they get done buying, I send an invoice with a REASONABLE shipping amount - nothing like eBay's so-called "discounts" allow.

I revised the 4 auctions, through inkFrog.  Buyer still was having problems.

I signed into a different one of my eBay accounts to see what he was seeing.  They weren't revised.

Thinking this was an IF problem, I went directly to eBay to revise.  Did so.

Went back to the other account to check, and lo and behold, PayPal screen was still showing up after Buy It Now.  In other words, it was still working like immediate payment was selected, even though when I went BACK into the auctions on eBay to check revision, it said it wasn't.

Customer finally gave up, and purchased all 4 items individually and paid the 4 shipping amounts.

Now I have to refund him the overage, and that plays he** with my bookkeeping.

Another day, another glitch.  eBay's SOP.

Ugh.

by: Volvo351 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 6 10:09:18 2017

Here's the REAL question that no one will answer: When will all those brilliant 'Wall Street analysts' actually do some basic research into eBay? I mean, it would only take a handful of free mouseclicks to become aware of this, and DOZENS of such incidents. Each of them is NOT an isolated 'glitch,' but a piece of a PATTERN that says eBay is mismanaged, and holds NO ONE accountable for screw ups, large or small. IOW, Devil Wingnut isn't cutting the mustard, but he gets paid millions anyway, just like The Hoe.

by: FeelingFroggy This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 6 11:14:36 2017

@volvo351

You know how you feel when you buy something and its bad, you contact the seller and the seller blows you off as noise.

WELL Wallstreet doesn't care about the noise of people complaining about Ebay.. They complain about Trump, Penney's and the time of day.

Wallstreet considers all that as noise.

ITS ALL ABOUT THE BOTTOM LINE....AS LONG AS EBAY CONVINCES THEM ITS GOOD THE REST OF THE NONSENSE IS JUST NOISE.

by: 27tcle This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 6 13:08:32 2017

Yup that's why i redeemed mine within an hour of getting them. Knew something would happen due to the unusual amount of high value bucks promotions. On another note. Had someone who couldn't pay send me a mo and sent them the item, marked it as paid, and ebay STILL gave the buyer a no pay strike. The bottom has to be close.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Thu Apr 6 14:22:42 2017

@The End - I hope you filed a mail fraud complaint against the seller. Also a police report of theft at the police department that covers your seller's location. $95 is a lot to lose.

by: Snapped This user has validated their user name.

Fri Apr 7 03:59:06 2017

Add this to the list of questions eBay should answer but never will, so to cover their assets:

What exactly IS the threshold number of impacted customers that must be crossed in order to consider an 'issue' large enough to warrant any 'disclosure' of the related issues?

Once upon a time, EVERY buyer was considered to be individually valuable and worthy of attention for their concerns here.  That was when eBay valued their sellers enough to preclude stifling their individual entrepreneurship through condescention, manipulation, and decimation.

Just noisy pesky statistics now.  Unworthy of individual attention.

by: phantom This user has validated their user name.

Sun Apr 9 00:37:23 2017

Make May Day an ebay holiday.
My store will be closed on May 1st and I will not shop of ebay on May 1st.
Please join me.