Thu Oct 26 2017 21:16:52

Get Ready: Amazon Requires Sellers to Set Up 2SV

Amazon is requiring sellers to set up two-step verification on their accounts by November 1st. The company initially tried to make the security practice mandatory for sellers in June, but ran into some issues. On Friday, Amazon notified sellers of the following:

Two-Step Verification is Mandatory by November 1
We want to make sure that all Seller accounts are more secure during and after the holiday season. To accomplish this, we require all Seller Central users to enable Two-Step Verification (2SV) before November 1. After that date, you will not be able to sign into Seller Central until you enable 2SV. Make sure that you and anyone with permissions for your account have enabled 2SV in order to ensure uninterrupted access to Seller Central.

As we wrote in May when Amazon first announced the new requirement, "Fraudsters have been targeting Amazon and its sellers' accounts of late, as we've reported, and it looks like Amazon is looking for more ways to keep its third-party merchant accounts safe." But Amazon put the requirement on hold in June while it developed alternative solutions to enable the verification - it seems a number of sellers requested the option to use a landline.

In mid-September, Amazon let sellers know they could begin enabling Two-Step Verification with a cell phone, landline, or authenticator app, but noted it was optional. On October 20th, it announced the 2SV would become mandatory next month.

Amazon is not alone in implementing authentication and verification policies, and many services are increasingly demanding that customers set up two-step verification.

Get Ready: Amazon Requires Sellers to Set Up 2SV   Get Ready: Amazon Requires Sellers to Set Up 2SV

by: FeelingFroggy This user has validated their user name.

Fri Oct 27 05:07:24 2017

Guess Fleecebay will be next.

by: RL15 This user has validated their user name.

Fri Oct 27 12:03:56 2017

@Froggy

fleecebay has been doing this for awhile.

by: TomH This user has validated their user name.

Fri Oct 27 15:39:01 2017

I've been using it for a bit over 2 months without problem. I don't like to, but can not really disagree with Amazon in requiring it in this now mostly hacked world of the net, many banks, equifax and all the rest.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Fri Oct 27 17:29:15 2017

Stripe has been requiring this for a while. It used to be I'd get a code text-messaged to me on occasion, but now, every time I log onto my account I have to provide the six digit code they send.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Fri Oct 27 17:42:38 2017

It takes a few moments longer, but to me it is time well spent to help to protect my account information.

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 30 00:23:36 2017

I've tried several times & failed.  Folks in the forum think I'm crazy, but I just can't set it up.  It asks for a 2nd phone number besides the cell phone and that number is my landline.  And you can't send a code to the landline.  I'll just have to call AMZ support for help.

by: Sierra This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 30 01:08:56 2017

Setting up 2SV is easy if you read the instructions!

1962420

I
got the Google Authenticator app and it works fine.

by: Sierra This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 30 01:11:09 2017

Well, darn. Guess that isn't a live link. I asked Google how to set up 2 step verification on Amazon and that's exactly what I got.

by: mindelec This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 30 01:55:17 2017

This is going to be a royal PITA, the last time they it I had to log in several times a day and EVERYTIME I had to get a code off of my phone.

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 30 03:31:52 2017

@mindelec, maybe if enough people call the AMZ CS on Nov 2 and ask for help logging in, AMZ will get the message that this isn't a good idea.

by: Mark4 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 30 08:01:09 2017

Not a question of if Amazon will be hacked but rather when.

by: Bidonmine This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 30 08:32:06 2017

I have been using 2-step for a few months without any problems.

by: Sierra This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 30 08:56:49 2017

When I set 2SV up on Amazon, there was a box to check to have it remember that device. I think I've had to re-enter a code once in about 3 months. I use both a laptop and phone with Seller Central.

This user has validated their user name. by: FEEbay

Mon Oct 30 12:08:46 2017

I think it is a royal PITA....... So i have to have my cell phone with me every single time that I log into Seller Central?? What a hassle.....I am curious to hear about this "authenticator app" ??

by: Sierra This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 30 13:05:19 2017

I don't have to have my phone with me every time I log into Seller Central. Go to the Google Play store and download the Google Authenticator app. Then go here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=20
1962
420
and
follow the instructions. Step 5 gives you a choice to add a 2nd phone number or use the authenticator app.

by: Sierra This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 30 13:06:13 2017

Don't know why that link is breaking up so badly???

odeId=20
1962420

It
looks fine in the preview. Every. Time.

by: mindelec This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 30 19:54:51 2017

@Sierra

Last time they forced this nonsense on us I checked that box practically every time and still had to keep entering a code on my laptop

by: Sierra This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 30 20:51:14 2017

@mindelec - I've sold on Amazon for 2 years, but I don't remember anything like this before, sorry.

Are you having to enter the code every time this time? Or are you being stubborn and seeing if they follow thru with it on 11/1?

by: TomH This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 30 21:27:28 2017

@Sierra
Your last:   lol - that just might be it!

by: Sierra This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 30 22:26:31 2017