Sat Oct 21 2017 22:39:46

Is Etsy Doing Right by Sellers Hit by Currency Bug?

Etsy apologized for a major issue some European sellers are dealing with that looks quite costly, but it refused to provide details about the nature of the problem publicly - instead, moderators have told sellers repeatedly to check their email for more information.

In a nutshell, it appears there was a currency conversion problem that caused Etsy to undercharge buyers, and then it cancelled the orders and took money from the sellers' accounts to refund the buyers, even after sellers had shipped some of the orders. According to sellers, compounding the issue was the difficulty in getting answers from Etsy.

On Thursday evening, a jewelry seller based in Iceland said Etsy had canceled 15 of her orders that she had already begun manufacturing. A little later, she said Etsy had begun to refund her customers for those orders, taking the money out of her account.

Other sellers reported the same thing was happening to them - "I have shipped out more than 200$ worth and now the orders have disappeared as well as the funds?! Etsy is not even replying me via mail and "are having difficulties' calling me," a Danish seller wrote.

Another seller from Denmark said the same thing had happened to her, and she had also already shipped some of the orders: "The same thing has happened to me, it's horrible! 10 orders disappeared, all from Wednesday and Thursday. And some of them I have sent and I have booked UPS to pick five of the vanished orders up tomorrow. I really don't know what to do. I think it's due to an error there was with currency conversion, I find it strange that Etsy haven't contacted us. Two customers contacted me, they had received an email that the order was canceled."

On Saturday afternoon, a couple of sellers said Etsy had repaid the money for orders that they had shipped, but were still uncertain about whether Etsy would honor all of the orders they had received that had yet to be shipped.

Surprisingly, a Danish seller had informed Etsy on Wednesday about a problem with pricing, and Etsy acknowledged there was an issue with currency conversion. But nowhere in the threads about cancelled orders did Etsy mention there had been a problem with currency conversion - and the Icelandic and Danish sellers posting appeared unaware of the bug that a seller had warned Etsy about on Wednesday.

On Saturday evening, sellers continued to express confusion and concern about their accounts, and they also wondered whether Etsy would refund selling fees on cancelled orders.

Those not impacted directly were also concerned about the way Etsy handled the issue in the days following the initial bug.

Update 10/25/17: See the new blog post published on October 25th on how Etsy handled the issue.

Is Etsy Doing Right by Sellers Hit by Currency Bug?   Is Etsy Doing Right by Sellers Hit by Currency Bug?

This user has validated their user name. by: BuildingMyOwnSite

Sun Oct 22 21:00:22 2017

ASSUMING all the above is true..... (and I believe it probably is).  It should be clear to ANYONE familiar with Etsy or Ebay selling, what should be done, and how.  This ISN'T at all complicated.  BUT !!! The management of these corporations is going to have to admit that it can't be fixed with an algorithm.  It will take a human being with:
1) Proper training.
2) The power to act.
3) Management to back them up when necessary.
4) Management to overrule them when necessary.
5) the ability to THINK for themselves!  (probably missing, as these companies don't know how to HIRE the right people in the first place.

CRIPES !!! How difficult is this?  They screwed up.  They should pay.  Get on with it.....  WHAT...?, are they going to try to duck it?  The solution here is no more complicated than most of the other issues discussed here on ECom.   I have run my own company for much of the last 44 years, and would be ASHAMED if this simple kind of issue ever even made it to my desk.   I hire people to solve stuff like this PROPERLY!! ( and fairly), so I don't have to.  Solve it.  Admit it.  EAT IT !!!  Move on and earn your paycheck you IDIOT!   Just one more example of the TOTAL INCOMPETENCE of Etsy (and Ebay of course) management.

Me:  ''HOW did this issue ever make it to the front page of ECom?''  “You're FIRED you idiot, this should have never been in the news at all !!!''

All of this CARP we talk about all the time..... time and time again.  It's really quite simple.....  Trouble is, so is mgmt.....  And their employee choices..... & training.    How stupid is Josh, that he lets the news lead with this.

This is just soooo easy to handle, and soooo easy to fix, that it makes me want to push my own button, and believe me no one wants to know what will happen if I do that..................

This user has validated their user name. by: BuildingMyOwnSite

Sun Oct 22 21:07:45 2017

NO, NO, PLEASE !!!
I WAS KIDDING !!!
DON'T DO IT, DON'T PUSH THE BUTTON !!!
OH !!! ..........  NO !!! ..........

I'M MELTING !!!.......... I'm Melting..........   i'm melting...........  i'm melt..........

by: Noneya This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 23 00:27:33 2017

Selling all of my stock in this complete and utter sh*tshow of a company this very minute. It's clear that Etsy is never going to get it together. The only thing Etsy is consistent with, is the ability to leave sellers in the dark and up the river without a paddle or a flashlight.

by: Transferware Odds and Ends This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 23 07:01:39 2017

Almost frightened to check my email anymore to see what other S*h*t Etsy has done, or did to Sellerd.
Etsy has screwed up  big time on all levels, started way back when they went public, then they got greedy, (as most companies do when they get to big), Now there back peddling, and were suffering.
They fire most of the employees (Im sure of) that new anything and rehired idiots with a chip on their shoulders, thinking they knew it all, to fix all the issues, you get what you pay for.
In the main time we the Sellers suffer, loosing sales, shops going down the drain. POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE AT ESTY, UNDER TRAINED EMPLOYEES (to save them money) NO ADVERTISING OR PROMOTING SHOPS.
Heck what are you waiting for the building to crumbke and fall down, might as close up shop now.
Etsy will NEVER be what it was, thanks to the newest idiot on the block (a former Ebay executive) that thinks he is god...
Etsy will be another Ebay, Mark my words, its going in tht direction. SAD

by: Flying Childers This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 23 12:03:33 2017

At least you can find what you're looking for on Ebay.

by: TMoore This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 23 13:18:29 2017

This is one of the many precise reasons why I closed my account at Etsy earlier this month. My problem was completely different. After witnessing the many mistakes Etsy has committed over the last few months (since May), I placed my shop on vacation intending to figure out what to do, and the next day I checked my shop for expired listings which were due to be offline the same day. Instead, all my listings were deactivated, which means those due to expire in January were off. I had just listed them 3 weeks before. This told me that Etsy was not interested in keeping sellers critical of their constant testing and experimenting which have been going on since the beginning of the year. So, no problem, I closed my account to demonstrate my resolve to depart from a dysfunctional and failing site.

Etsy was better before, but since they clearly don't know what they are doing and have not since 2014, I am not surprised that something like this would happen.

by: Sierra This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 23 16:10:15 2017

Have fun dissing Etsy ... just like you diss eBay. You're probably still selling on both sites. LOL!

This is my 3rd best year on Etsy (out of 11), and eBay has miraculously improved this year too. I won't be getting rich from my sales on either site (or both together), but not everyone is having a bad year.

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Wed Oct 25 17:43:03 2017

Never had a problem before PAYPAL wedged itself in there.
GET RID OF PAYPAL ! ! ! ! !

by: Sierra This user has validated their user name.

Wed Oct 25 17:47:53 2017

How would people pay for their purchases, if not with PayPal? I ***do not*** want to go back to the days of checks and money orders!