Sat Oct 14 2017 22:04:12

Should Etsy Push Buyers to Ask about Stock Outs?

Etsy is running a test to encourage shoppers to message sellers to inquire about sold out items. Is it an opportunity to make a sale, or a nuisance?

When you sell out of a particular item on Etsy, do you like being contacted by shoppers to see if you plan on restocking the item or asking if you have any similar items?

Etsy began running a test last month that makes it easy for shoppers to convo a seller with such inquiries, in certain cases.

Here's how Etsy described the test: "Giving buyers who land on a sold out listing page from external traffic the ability to send a convo to the seller to ask if they plan to restock the item or to ask for something similar. Goal: Help high-intent buyers coming from external traffic better connect with sellers. They're often less familiar with Etsy and with the idea of custom orders."

Some sellers will likely appreciate the opportunity to hear from would-be buyers, while others might find it a nuisance or not have time to answer such inquiries.

If Etsy proceeds with making this available to all shoppers, it seems prudent to give sellers the ability to shut the feature off (both globally and by listing). There are almost always going to be cases where a seller will never again offer the same or a similar item, or times when a shop owner is just too busy to respond to such inquiries.

What do you think about encouraging such inquiries on Etsy - or other marketplaces?

Should Etsy Push Buyers to Ask about Stock Outs?   Should Etsy Push Buyers to Ask about Stock Outs?

by: Flying Childers This user has validated their user name.

Sun Oct 15 09:36:15 2017

The young snowflakes who work for Etsy have no idea what they're doing.  Take a look at their group photo- I wonder how many of them are over the age of 30.  Clearly they are worried about keeping their cushy no show jobs.

Meanwhile, not a day goes by that they are not doing something to further wreck the site and make it harder for sellers to sell their wares.

All these promotions are meaningless if people can't find what they want to buy.   Instead of being shown what they're looking for, buyers are being shown items based on different factors including past browsing history.

These jerks don't seem to realize or care that the people coming to Etsy are adults, not  children, and they can make up their own minds.

Furthermore, the search function is now just about completely broken.  Example:  look at your stats and see where the traffic comes from.  In almost every case, by Etsy's own admission, less than 3% of viewers find listings from a direct search.  In my case it's always about 1%.  That means 99% of potential buyers can't find my listings.

Instead of coming up with these phony "improvements" let them devote all their time to fixing search.  Period.  End of story.

by: leathermermaid8 This user has validated their user name.

Sun Oct 15 10:48:10 2017

This is good only if the seller is providing something that they have create themselves and is willing to reproduce or something drop shipped in the first place.  It is a tool that a seller should be allowed to opt into, not forced on them.  I'm sure there is somebody who doesn't mind hearing from someone interested in buying more of whatever.  Just depends on what you sell.

When I'm doing a web search, I often land on an Etsy page whose listing is not longer available.  That item is the one and only and there's no chance of it being restocked.

For awhile, I used them for harder to find fabrics, out of production sewing machine parts and jewelry.  So many of the mass produced wares have found themselves a spot on Etsy, I rarely go there.  There's nothing wrong with them trying to improve their site but it does seem they've gotten away from their original credo.

This user has validated their user name. by: bitbybit

Sun Oct 15 16:44:36 2017

A few years back I went on Etsy to search for cuff earrings as a gift. EVERY email from Etsy after that featured cuff earrings. This went on for months and months to where I blocked ALL email coming from Etsy. Their emails before that were nicely done and welcoming. After changing to a redundant pushy format, they lost me as a buyer.

by: ScottS This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 16 01:22:43 2017

This is an idiotic idea unless they can direct it to ONLY hand made/custom made sellers.  I sell antiques and collectibles.
A few days ago I received this email regarding a pair of sold blown glass wine goblets dated in the 80s.

"Hi there! I found your item through Pinterest but it looks like it's sold out. Any chance you have another, or would consider a custom order? Thanks!"

So, I had to explain that I don't make vintage glass but sell it and the glasses were GONE and there would be no "custom order" available.  Of course, I did it much nicer than I am doing here but I suspected that Etsy was messing with them.

This is only going to alienate potential shoppers by promoting the possibility of something that will never be available.  It's just bad business.

by: Noneya This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 16 02:18:10 2017

gross. Since many of us sell or sold vintage and have moved on to handmade, this is an annoyance at best. The only people this could benefit are the resellers of factory assistance made goods, and handmade sellers that don't mind remaking something that they have allowed to sell out for one reason or another. Lots of handmade makers change up their lines over the years, being asked to make something you no longer offer for one reason or another is annoying.

by: Transferware Odds and Ends This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 16 07:21:56 2017

I agree with most, Stupidest Idea thus far. I also think after laying off hundreds at headquarters to cut cost, they hired a bunch of ''out of school'' youngsters that have NO experience yet and are just skating by with dumb ideas to keep their job. How a company this big, cant see what this and all their hairbrain ideas are doing to the sellers. A huge majority of sellers have been on ETSY for years, we know how it works, and it worked before all these ''Test''. We have complained in forums, some have sent letters, We are the bread and butter, the glue that makes up Etsy. If it werent for us sellers, THERE WOULD BE NO ETSY. We the SELLERS, not the employees of Etsy, US SELLERS are the ones that should be making the decisions of what can and cannot be changed or added, We the SELLERS are the ones that deal with the buyers daily, not employees of ETSY.
I am so sick and tired  of these test and what it is doing to our shops and sales.
I have to say, Its embarrassing!!!! and i'm embarrassed and getting to the point of being ashamed to sell here.....

by: Whatever This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 16 11:33:30 2017

Transfer - well that's the same speech we have all been saying about eBay for many many more years and like Etsy it just gets worse. Not sure what the  solution is - as for Etsy - I search google something I might want to reconsider but for now I do - I have NEVER - repeat NEVER found one single item thru google going to Etsy that is actually for sale on Etsy. So not being the sharpest pencil in the cup these days - doesn't Etsy pay per click? How does that equasion work out when there's actually nothing for sale? Not only does this destroy the credibily of Etsy but I think all this *icking around hurts google as well. Pintrest is a major joke - people only go there to steal designs or just waste their time.  Here's the thing for me about Etsy - I might consider selling there is there was a way to validate sold items. I have no desire to list items into a marketplace that sells nothing. Take Bonanza for instance - got something to sell? At least they tell you if that item sells right up front if you want to bother to look at "sold" in the last year. I actually admire them for that. Rare these days to find honest people. Not that I'm promoting Bonanza but I haven't found another site aside from eBay that will give you the skinny on product.

by: Tracey This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 16 22:14:27 2017

Yes, absolutely! What a great opportunity to find out directly from the shoppers who your target market is.  The more opportunities I have to make a connection with my buyers the better.  I already have a list going of things to be on the look out for when I am sourcing new inventory.  The bigger that list gets the better!

by: Flying Childers This user has validated their user name.

Thu Oct 19 10:49:11 2017

The people who run Etsy and Ebay forget that they don't own anything- the sellers own all the products that are sold.  Etsy has alienated thousands of sellers who carry authentic vintage and handmade items.  These people are gone for good and not coming back.

Etsy is losing the only market it can succeed in.   It cannot compete with Ebay, Amazon, Walmart or Target when it comes to selling cheap Chinese crap.  They already do a much better job of it and they are honest about what they sell.

Etsy is now based on a lie and eventually people are going to stop shopping there.   They don't care about the sellers, all they watch is the stock price which is not that great.  Sooner or later this is going to collapse.