Mon Jan 16 2017 09:59:23

Walgreens Aims to Thwart Porch-Package Thieves

Would you feel comfortable dropping off packages needing to be shipped at your local Walgreens? And would you feel okay about customers who wanted to receive their packages at their local drugstore for pickup instead of home-delivery?

Walgreens will begin offering FedEx dropoff and pickup at thousands of Walgreens locations nationwide as part of a new partnership.

"As part of the FedEx Onsite program, customers will be able to drop off pre-packaged and pre-labeled shipments at Walgreens stores and pick up packages that they direct to their neighborhood Walgreens.

"After an initial, small-scale rollout this spring, Walgreens and FedEx expect to have the program available at thousands of Walgreens locations later this calendar year and chainwide at nearly 8,000 Walgreens stores by the fall of 2018."

There are a growing number of reports of package theft from people's front porches and vandalism of community cluster boxes, so package pickup may become increasingly popular for at least a portion of the online shopping population.

But retailers like Walgreens could find themselves occasionally dealing with more than they bargained for - case in point, a seller in Florida who allegedly used FedEx and UPS to illegally ship alligators and other wildlife (an entertaining read via WSBradio.com).

Imagine a store employee's reaction upon hearing sounds coming from a package!

You can read the FedEx announcement on its website. Where would you prefer to pick up your packages, and will fulfillment be a better experience when customers pick up their orders at a retail location?

Walgreens Aims to Thwart Porch-Package Thieves   Walgreens Aims to Thwart Porch-Package Thieves

by: FeelingFroggy This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jan 16 11:19:44 2017

In 20 years of selling we have NEVER had a package disappear from our porch.

Sometimes we leave our outgoing packages on the porch the night before.

Incoming packages have been known to stay on the porch for a day or two.

And no we don't have an enclosed or covered porch. Just a porch.

by: dans parts This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jan 16 11:54:22 2017

I guess I'll have to revive my FedEx account.

They were building a Walgreen's in my podunk little town a couple years ago, and they managed to open it about 1 month after DHL shut down their US operations.  I had been waiting for over a year to be able to drop DHL packages at Walgreens, instead of having to sit and wait for the idiot DHL driver to show up at the pickup box whenever he damned well felt like it (like 1-1/2 to 3 hours after posted pickup time), cause most of my boxes were too big to fit into the box-slot.  There was no problem in them accepting my packages, as long as I handed them to him.

Sitting in front of a drop-off box forever was NOT fun.

I gave up on FedEx when I moved yet another 20 miles from their local hub (now 40 miles one-way from me).  I refuse to pay higher fees to a pack and ship place for them (not to mention that none of them are all that close, either), and do not want to subject my customers to those higher fees.  Most of time the tacked-on extra fees make the shipping amount more than the little bit extra (above FedEx price) that Priority Mail might charge.

Good.

This user has validated their user name. by: Beanie

Mon Jan 16 14:41:28 2017

@Feeling Froggy, I'm happy you haven't had any of your packages stolen. I have. NOT fun to try to track it down or sort out. I finally started having my packages delivered to my job. It has worked out great for me and my employers don't mind. I realize that may not work for everyone. I go to my Walgreens a few times a week and that would be a good place to get my packages once I retire. I'm not a stay at home person. Anyway, some people have nothing better to do that watch the delivery trucks and once they drive off, swoop in on a place where they think nobody is home and steal packages. Its like Christmas for them to sell or keep. Very sad this goes on...

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Mon Jan 16 16:10:51 2017

Every Christmas the Los Angeles news programs are filled with home security videos of "porch shoppers." I've personally never had a problem, but there's a long walkway up to my front door and I'm guessing most people would prefer a shorter exit path.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Tue Jan 17 13:26:56 2017

FeelingFroggy, what's your point?  Many folks do.  "Porch shopping" is epidemic. It was all over the news with videos this past Christmas.

Walgreen's idea is a good one. Get folks in your store and many will purchase something.  Maybe eBay should study the concept of getting someone in our stores.

by: Snapped This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jan 17 19:03:13 2017

''Maybe eBay should study the concept of getting someone in our stores.''

They already had it.

Then threw it away.

Purposefully.

by: BargainzBabylon This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jan 17 19:36:56 2017

That's nice Froggy, but just because you haven't doesn't mean it's not a problem for a lot of other people. We have repeated problems with vandalism and porch pirates...and live in a semi-rural area.

If I didn't work from home, we'd have to have everything held at the post office for collection and just hope that UPS and Fed-Ex packages don't get ripped off.

This service is a very beneficial one - but as for the Florida Gator Guy - there's always one bonehead.

by: Eagle This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jan 18 00:50:21 2017

We usually get 1-2 packages stolen from customers every year during November to December holiday rush. It's been large cities or suburbs namely New York, Houston, New Orleans, or Los Angeles areas. We have taken up an in-house policy to automatically include signature confirmation especially for high dollar orders. This year we added out of our pocket signature conf on an $800 order to suburb of LA. Customer ordered on black Friday and we shipped out Monday. We get a call from customer 17 days later stating she hadn't received her package. I tracked it and it was being held for pick up at local postal distribution station, not the local post office? I called her back with info and she went berserk on me? Why in the Hell would you put signature conf. on it? I went on to tell her it was for the safety of both of us to assure that no one would steal package from porch. That if she didn't receive package she would most likely file a charge back with her credit card/bank and they would take $800 plus shipping charge plus $15 chargeback fee from my account and it would be up to me to prove you received package and maybe in 60 days I'd get the money back. She must have been rather rich because she came back that it was ''ONLY $800'' and she wouldn't do anything like that. (I thought, yea right?) Longer story short, she finally got package, but stated she'd never buy from us again.

by: madam H This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jan 18 01:58:35 2017

We live in a suburban ghetto and have used a rented mailbox (not a p.o. box, our local post office is run by circus monkeys) for years.  Cheapest form of package insurance I can find.  Shop extensively via the internet, at least a few items weekly.

This also helps support a local small business.  Don't know why the local news stations don't suggest this in their annual ''How to not get your packages swiped from your front porch'' stories.

Look up your local mom-and-pop shipping/packing store and rent a box.  Not that expensive, and no worries about mail being stolen or diverted.

by: kazaly This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jan 18 02:25:06 2017

eBay has been doing this for a year or two now in Australia via the Big W chain of variety stores which is a division of Woolworths, one of our big 2 supermarket chains.
While reasonably successful in preventing theft, it has suffered other problems including difficulty at the collection points with parcels not located, long wait times, incorrect delivery (wrong store) and reluctance of staff to perform a duty they see as not core.
In short, a bit of a mess.
There is actually another chain of stores over here, Officeworks (a big chain stationer) that will use their internal courier system to move parcels for collection at a different store though I have no info on how successful this is.
It looks like the postal systems are getting a bit of competition these days from new players with new models.

by: Tiffee Jasso This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jan 18 03:52:40 2017

I would not mind shipping item to Walgreen's for my buyers, but I imagine Paypal and Ebay will not stand behind those deliveries.

This user has validated their user name. by: VV

Wed Jan 18 07:56:34 2017

I would use Fedex more to ship this way.  The closest dropoff is not close at all.

by: cillianred This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jan 18 10:44:22 2017

@Tiffee Jasso

I don't think it'd be any different than shipping to any other business address, which I do on a very regular basis.

As long as the buyer sets the address up correctly in paypal, I don't think there would be an issue with either paypal or ebay.

by: Barbbie This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jan 18 18:07:40 2017

I have so many people claim to not get stuff that was delivered to their own business that they supposedly work at, that I find I would be nervous about it. Just thinking about the local walgreens, where would they put this stuff? What if some worker stole it from there, who would be responsible for it? Oh well, if the buyer trusts their walgreens, then it is okay by me.

by: ctexan This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jan 18 21:28:53 2017

I have a vision of waiting in line to pick-up my package at Walgreens & the customer ahead of me is hysterically angry be cause she thinks it is somehow the clerks fault that her photos are blurry. No thanks, I would rather take my chances with the porch thieves :-)

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Thu Jan 19 14:12:07 2017

I've seen Amazon lock boxes in banks in London. They are used heavily.  It brings a lot of foot traffic into the banks.