Tue June 14 2016 16:39:39

Comparing Your eBay Sales to the Overall Market

eBay has a feature on the new Seller Hub main page called "Sales perspective last 31 days." It shows sellers how their sales are performing compared to the prior 31 days and compared to the same period a year ago. It also shows how the overall market on eBay has performed so sellers can get a sense of the overall demand for the goods they sell.

One seller wrote on the eBay boards, "I absolutely LOVE that eBay has added "Sales perspective last 31 days" to the Overview page! It is yet another great tool in helping me to gauge the "big picture" in how I'm doing. Thanks eBay!!!"

Another seller wrote to us to say they grew their business in a few short years thanks in part to eBay, but they're concerned now thanks to what they call a steady decline in business for almost a year.

They decided to opt in to the new Seller Hub after unsuccessfully trying to boost sales (including "repricing their listings, new photos, relisting, better titles and keywords, off-site adds, literally anything that crossed our minds").

They noticed the "Sales perspective last 31 days" chart and told us, "The thing that startled me wasn't our own performance since it's what we've been seeing but eBay's own performance. If the report is correct eBay is down 90% in this category."

While their sales dropped nearly 7% in the subcategory in which they sell, the chart showed eBay had dropped by 91%. It also showed the seller's sales had dropped over 45% compared to the same period a year ago (compared to a drop of 90% by eBay in the same period).

We're curious first whether sellers are checking analytics provided by eBay, such as this 31-day sales perspective, and secondly, what sellers are seeing.

And are there any other reports that you check on a regular basis to measure your performance?

Comparing Your eBay Sales to the Overall Market   Comparing Your eBay Sales to the Overall Market

by: FeelingFroggy This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jun 14 19:11:17 2016

Who needs all these reports. Get over it...Ya'll can tell if your making money by your bank balance.

All these little programs to tell you everything you don't need to know are just a waste of internet space and a huge waste of anyone who has the slightest idea on how to run a business.

If you have the time to play with these reports you are just a hobbyist with no real business. Most businesses on Fleecebay are to busy. They know if they are making money by the bank balance.

by: Bidderboy This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jun 14 21:19:54 2016

Isn't this the type of information that eBay would normally deny or try to suppress? I certainly don't need a report to know that my once wildly successful eBay business has been decimated. Both buyers and sellers have been driven away to the point where I am watching my 14 year old business circle the drain. It is solely eBay's fault as they put a stranglehold on the entrepreneurship that made them great and allowed sellers to be successful. I came to eBay originally to get away from a workplace where I had ignorant and meddlesome management looking over my shoulder. I now find myself in the same predicament as eBay has detrimentally inserted itself into every aspect of the business we were able to build together when they were just a venue. I used to be puzzled and confused, but I now have to believe that they are purposely decimating their own site. Somehow this is benefiting eBay and accomplishing  some goal of theirs, at the expense of all the long time sellers who helped build and sustain the once wildly successful site.

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Tue Jun 14 22:29:11 2016

Seriously, the cretins at eBay want to impress on sellers these ever downward-spiralling statistics?—LOL ...

The eBay executive suite—where the incompetent mingle with the disingenuous, the unscrupulous, the malevolent, the outright criminal, and the just plain stupid ...

by: mcposty This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jun 15 16:35:35 2016

The charts probably lie and say you are making more money, just like ebay lied when they sent out emails once a month showing how many defects they erased for you...any one that gave it even a small glance would notice they removed absolutely no defects.

Liars and criminals that's all ebay is

This user has validated their user name. by: Ric

Wed Jun 15 16:46:27 2016

Personally, I see no need to opt into the seller hub since I have zero confidence in eBay's ability to display 100% accurate and reliable information.

eBay's most important function: search is broken and the company refuses to address the issue.

This long term corporate disregard of such a vital and fundamental process leaves me highly skeptical of any and all information eBay offers is equally flawed.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Thu Jun 16 07:53:11 2016

What Ric said.

by: kayscrochet This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 16 08:02:02 2016

Mine is comparing me to the wrong market. I mainly sell in knit/crochet supplies. And its comparing me to children and young adults which I barely sell in. Useless

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Thu Jun 16 08:54:18 2016

Ya, now you can see how slowly the economy is drying up.

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 16 10:17:09 2016

^^
Also by the amount of your EB invoice.  My invoices have been below $15 for the past few months, compared to over $15 last year.

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 16 10:19:31 2016

I just checked my Sales perspective.  Last year I did 175%  this time and now it's 83%.

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 16 10:30:42 2016

^^
It's very useful, but very depressing when you're not making money and compare it to months past.

by: Toledo Maude This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 16 11:45:41 2016

10 years ago when my sales were slumping, I ask a US based customer service if a report like this was available, and it was not.

I would find this type of report informative now, but not sure how it would help other than knowing that I am in another downward eBay sales trend with lots of other poor eBay seller saps.

Instead of signing up eBay seller's hub of dubious help, I periodically review items sold by one of the biggest sellers in my collectives category.

In good times, this seller does in a day what I may do in two to three months.  But lately, they go for days without a sale.  Knowing what their overhead is compared to mine, their eBay pain is far, far, far greater than mine.

But, but, but, I did book my second eBay sale of June this morning.  I sense the eBay flood gates are opening up. I had better order some eBay packing supplies ASAP!

by: maxmad This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jun 17 14:54:52 2016

Only Until we started branching out away from ebay, that we noticed how bad ebay is,

The products we sell the most of on ebay Do Not match what should be and are our highest selling product, EVERYWHERE ELSE, ebay's idiotic search manipulation / brainless, MONEY LOSING algorithm, is getting it Wrong,

ebay sellers should be given an option to decide what items should be given a boost, or some sort of priority over their other items, it only makes sense, no company on earth promote their worst performing items, only the complete idiots at ebay do this.

Day after day month after month ebay gives more search priority to some of most unpopular , lowest selling items, it's just simply  crazy, what a total looser clueless company ebay is.

Oh well, not a big deal, sales have been great this year, EVERYWHERE ELSE

by: gizmo This user has validated their user name.

Sat Jun 18 08:44:33 2016

Sales? Like a wrecking ball in an ocean. Why hasn't someone put deadbay out of everyones misery? How do they stay open, is beyond me.
Reminds me of a 100 year old person sitting by a window waiting to die.

This user has validated their user name. by: Shop and Ship

Sun Jun 19 09:11:39 2016

Like Gizmo, eBay reminds me of a 90-year old Alzheimer's patient unable to reach the keypad lock on the front door from her wheelchair

by: kayscrochet This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jun 21 07:54:18 2016

Mine is in no way accurate. The category they are comparing to for my stats is one I barely sell in

by: HoneVille This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jun 21 11:11:30 2016

SHAME on you INA... I notice the category is BLACKED out so as not to give the REAL story... Some seller sends you some obscure numbers from a category with the KEY information blacked out (or did you black it out yourself?) and you twist it to produce a story hinting that this is a legitimate story and of concern to sellers... Ebay is UP... UP. NOT down... but hey... don't let the truth stand in the way of you're poor judgement and bias against ebay.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ina

Tue Jun 21 12:36:20 2016

I redacted the document to keep the seller's report anonymous. If you had read carefully, the post makes it clear that it is one seller who has valid concerns about the category in which he/she sells.

I was using the example to draw attention to the availability of the report for readers to check their own categories.

I don't need to write a "sky is falling" post to scare eBay sellers. They can listen to eBay's earnings calls with Wall Street and discover for themselves eBay's overall single-digit growth rates that are consistently well below online retail.

It's up to each seller to analyze the opportunity eBay presents and act accordingly, hopefully with decisions that are based on data, not emotion.

by: gizmo This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jun 26 13:01:28 2016

Im sorry , Ill speak for myself , ebay is in the toilet , toilet , toilet!!

by: dander This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 27 19:03:51 2016

It is a useful tool, not much but it is useful. It gives me an incentive to sell more and to beat the trend. I sell on other sites but this is still the best for my products. Its not perfect, but it doesn't have the fees and crap that amazon does