Tue May 24 2016 13:07:29

Latest eBay Glitch Could Be Quite Costly - Check Your Listings

Some sellers are reporting that eBay is placing someone else's email address in their PayPal payment information field. "Looks like it is time to recheck everything you upload now," an eBay seller wrote after reading reports of several strange glitches.

We received an email on May 23rd from a seller who explained:

"Regarding the new one-page seller format: Every time I create a new listing, there is someone else's email address in the PayPal payment box. Also the item location is incorrect. It says "(redacted), Virginia". The email address is the same each time; (redacted) . This is not anyone I've had a transaction with but it is an eBay user (according to eBay). I have screenshots of these flaws."

It's a huge issue if eBay buyers are sending money to the wrong person and expecting the seller to fulfill the order, and could be quite costly.

Here's how a seller described the problem on the Ecommerce EKG board:

"eBay Users reported that a Different PayPal address showed up in their new listing this evening - that and a few have new locations (residence) on their page. Be aware if you are listing something - if a different PAYPAL account email address is showing up in your NEW listings! The one lady called - and although the eBay people could see the New PayPal - they told her that her account was not comprised. Very Strange - new glitch!"

A seller reported the issue on the eBay boards on May 19th, and followed up saying eBay had reached out to them to investigate the incident. Here's an excerpt of the post:

"My new listings ended up with, not an EMPTY spot in the PayPal Payment info (which would have created an error and not allowed the listing to go through ... and would've been fine), but rather with someone else's e-mail address in the field."

Another seller reported the same problem on May 23rd:

"Something strange happened when I went to go create a new listing tonight from my desktop computer. A random email address populated in the PayPal payment section. Never seen it. Not in my email anywhere. Nowhere to be found online. Also says my location is in (redacted), Maine.  Doesn't happen with the app. Happens from any computer I log into. This information just populates. Called eBay customer support. They saw it too when accessing my account and creating a listing but noted my account has not been compromised. Any ideas? Anyone else seeing this?"

Some believe the bug is related to eBay's new listing form in the new Seller Hub.

It's quite concerning that eBay reportedly began looking into the issue over the weekend, but has issued no warning to sellers that they should check their listings.

Latest eBay Glitch Could Be Quite Costly - Check Your Listings   Latest eBay Glitch Could Be Quite Costly - Check Your Listings

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Tue May 24 14:44:40 2016

And meanwhile they are getting patents for health apps.

eBay are notorious for spending their time on nonsense and not addressing things that matter.

This user has validated their user name. by: bitbybit

Tue May 24 15:12:22 2016

This article from TheNextWeb caught my attention. It is not the same ''glitch'' in this post but shows how lax eBay is about security.

''eBay has no plans to fix ‘severe’ vulnerability that could infect users with malware''

My Paypal account several years ago had someone else's email, name etc listed in my account profile information. Needless to say I was alarmed. As best as I can recall, it was underplayed by CS and told it was someone I sold to in the past. There was no explanation on how it got in my account profile but I was able to delete it. Looks to me everyone should check ALL your information on a regular basis both on eBay and Paypal.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Tue May 24 16:09:10 2016

eBay just gets scarier every day. And you know, if a buyer goes ahead and pays the unknown person, eBay and PayPal will say the seller got the money and they have to ship. Maybe this is a new, devious way to rid the site of small sellers.

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Tue May 24 16:36:26 2016

"[T]hey told her that her account was not comprised."

Accounts are never compromised until some overseeing authority forces them to admit that they are indeed compromised; this is the way the world of commerce works—virtually across the board ...

Fortunately, it’s always been easy to tell when an eBay/PayPal spokesperson is being disingenuous—their lips are moving ...

The eBay executive suite—where the incompetent mingle with the disingenuous, the unscrupulous, the malevolent, the outright criminal, and the just plain stupid. ...

This user has validated their user name. by: RKTOYS

Tue May 24 18:27:33 2016

I can only image how they managed to screw up something that should be 1:1 with an account record but it says alot about their duhvelopers' competence that I don't jump to assuming the account was compromised.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Tue May 24 19:59:42 2016

I caught it on the 3 new listings I made today.

All had some company's name in California.

When I called eBay they said it was MY FAULT since I copied the new data from one of my own older ones - I should have created it entirely from scratch!

How that has anything to do with someone elses name in the Paypal box, I have no idea.

I guess this is how Hal Lawton is reaching out to sellers - by reaching in their pockets and STEALING MORE of their money.

Shame on you eBay! (we always knew you were rotten and dirty - but are things this bad that you have to stoop this low?)

This user has validated their user name. by: bitbybit

Tue May 24 21:22:24 2016

Here is a link to the article:
-to-fix-severe-vulnerability-that-could-infect-users-with-malware/

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Tue May 24 23:43:41 2016

LMAO - we can all pay $199 for the Grifter to tell us how its really not a big deal - its not even a GLITCH - its just random dummy data (and he would know about DUMMIES) inserted into a new listing.

"As always, sellers are responsible for ALL aspects of their listings aka stop whining you babies and listen to my "radio show".

I think the 3 stooges could run eBay better then these clowns!

by: maxmad This user has validated their user name.

Wed May 25 01:10:52 2016

When we tried to revise an item, today, a pop up, appeared to verify our account, the last time this happened was when ebay was Hacked, which is most likely what has happened again,

This user has validated their user name. by: baconsdozen

Wed May 25 02:59:53 2016

I heard today that ebay have stopped accepting snipe bids. Is this true?. To be honest I take everything I hear about ebay with a pinch of salt lately,they seem determined to actually drive themselves out of business. (If that is their idea it seems to be working well).

by: RL15 This user has validated their user name.

Wed May 25 10:00:13 2016

For some reason I think The HO is still running ebay. He must be telling Devil what to do.

Remember "Disruptive Innovation"

This user has validated their user name. by: IDKwhoIare

Wed May 25 15:42:02 2016

@baconsdozen

This is all I have seen:

by: Cargo11 This user has validated their user name.

Thu May 26 00:33:39 2016

INA,  I have been checking the member to member inquiries this evening - seems at least 3 I caught - I will still keep looking - These are newer sellers and they mention seeing Ebay state they sold something, and payment received in the Ebay site, but nothing is showing up in their Paypal accounts.  I shared with them to immediately call Paypal on this to locate their funds.  I hope the glitch did not affect these sellers or a bunch of new sellers that sold items and are waiting payments to show up in their accounts in Paypal before sending - it could end up a bigger mess then just shutting down the new listing tool. :(

by: Cargo11 This user has validated their user name.

Thu May 26 00:42:32 2016

Like this listing:

wrong-Paypal-account/m-p/25593118/highlight/true#M146663

by: elcheapoposters This user has validated their user name.

Thu May 26 00:57:43 2016

For the past 5 years this has been an issue on ebay - from time to time the site would put the email of someone who used to live here in the paypal payment field.

I had called ebay describing the issue ad naseum at least 5 times. Obviously the issue is still in the system as this latest blog post indicates.

Fortunately, I haven't used ebay for anything other than the occasional sale of used equipment for many years.

by: OnlyPollyPocket This user has validated their user name.

Thu May 26 01:30:56 2016

I use a third-party listing tool on my main account and those listings seem to be fine.

However, I recently created a new account to test a different product and used ebay's listing tool.  After hearing about this I went to check the listing.  Sure enough, it had another Paypal account rather than the one I registered for this user ID.

As it happens, fortunately, it used a Paypal account that IS mine but one I never use anymore.

I don't know how these things work but it is curious that it used that Paypal account when it isn't on my other ID either.  LOL, guess they pulled it up from the archives via my IP?  No clue...but then, apparently, ebay is also clueless ;)

by: Cargo11 This user has validated their user name.

Thu May 26 01:37:53 2016

I did what a could; sad to say but the ones this glitch impacts the most are all newbies (probably got the sell 3 items email too). I know they need to learn solutions on their own unfortunately they are not as seasoned as most of the veteran sellers here....so sad.  I can see this now - people are NOT getting sent items because Payments are not showing in their paypal accounts - they get dinged because they did not ship quick...and so on

-PayPal-Transaction/m-p/25592662/highlight/true#M293209

by: Cargo11 This user has validated their user name.

Thu May 26 01:43:38 2016

Well OnlyPollypocket, seems that is a whole 'nother issue - now I am wondering if the Changed forms were not Paypal approved and are at a different platform that does not jive with the Paypal format.

o-old-paypal-email-address-Now-what/m-p/25582357/highlight/true#M34804

by: Cargo11 This user has validated their user name.

Thu May 26 01:59:23 2016

GASP........I even thought - what if any of these problem listing ends up as a Return - WHOSE PAYPAL ACCOUNT will they withdrawal funds from??

by: alaska This user has validated their user name.

Thu May 26 02:52:26 2016

What a mess eBay has become. I stopped selling a few months ago but yesterday I decided to list one item using my mac listing software. It took me nearly an hour to list that one item! I got policy errors that were very difficult to figure out. My software's developer was working with eBay to try to find a fix when finally one of the software users figured out the steps needed to correct the errors. And as a buyer I'm plagued with all of the relists in the antiques and vintage collectible categories. It is becoming so rare to find something that is both new to the site and something that I want to buy. It's really not worth the effort to search anymore.