Tue Apr 26 2016 15:21:16

eBay Ends Cross Promotion Tool, Expands Paid Ads

An eBay seller began noticing that some accessories he was promoting using eBay's cross promotions tool stopped selling this week. He went to check his settings and found the cross-promotions feature was gone.

He called eBay customer service, which told him eBay eliminated the feature, though the marketplace had made no such announcement to sellers.

The seller explained, "Sellers used to be able to cross-promote items by selecting store categories and linking them to display items when related merchandise was sold. For example, if you sold power cords for printers, you could select your power cord category and link it to the printer category. Power cords would then be able to be displayed on eBay when buyers purchased a printer."

He continued, "Without so much as an announcement to sellers, eBay has decided to turn off and discontinue this feature. No doubt, eBay's intent is to discontinue the free tool that was very successful for sellers and is going to replace it with the newer promoted listing feature which comes with additional fees when an item sells."

In the meantime, eBay announced today the expansion of its paid Promoted Listing ads.

Upon reading today's announcement from eBay, the reader added, "As a seller, I am not willing to pay more in fees to have my items 'promoted' especially when eBay offered a free tool that accomplished the same thing."

We have a question in to eBay about whether and when it discontinued the cross promotions tool that had been available to Store owners, and why.

eBay Ends Cross Promotion Tool, Expands Paid Ads   eBay Ends Cross Promotion Tool, Expands Paid Ads

This user has validated their user name. by: Ric

Tue Apr 26 20:17:28 2016

Ethically challenged eBay management just raised rates on store sellers and at the same time, silently removed a tool that actually WORKED to help sellers grow sales.

It would be interesting to know why eBay's disconnected management failed to include this bit of information when they announced the fee increase they were imposing on store owners.  Seems like the fee increase and removal of a useful selling tool go hand in hand.

It would also be interesting to hear from CEO Devin Wenig if he has completely backed away from announcing seller facing changes in advance in order to provide sellers with a chance to prepare instead of simply imposing changes and pulling the rug out from underneath sellers.

It would appear that we are headed back to the early days of the Donahoe debacle where changes simply occurred overnight without any notice and sellers were expected to simply suffer in silence.

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Tue Apr 26 23:44:38 2016

Well, there it is, straight from the new horse's mouth ...

“There are a lot of questions out there and I don’t have any of the answers,”—eBay CEO Devin Wenig, Goldman Sachs Technology And Internet Conference, 10 Feb. 2016.

So, we threw some more spaghetti at the wall ...

This user has validated their user name. by: RKTOYS

Wed Apr 27 08:44:39 2016

What an utterly useless fool Wenig is.  If he doesn't know anything, why the hell is he in a position to direct others?

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Wed Apr 27 10:10:48 2016

I would venture to guess that PAYING advertisers weren't happy seeing unpaid cross promotion ads on the same page as theirs.

What other reason would they end this feature. I myself opted out of it as I didn't want my competitors on my page.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Wed Apr 27 14:44:57 2016

@toolguy

Your competitors on on your listings whether you like it or not.  Whether you opt in or out of cross promotions.  I have always been opted out of the program and competitors adds have always appeared at the bottom of my listings.

Just another one of those things that apparently did not affect you but did affect others.

This user has validated their user name. by: bitbybit

Wed Apr 27 14:52:47 2016

So if anyone was wondering why sales took a drastic drop and cross promotion ended-the answer is pretty obvious with eBay wanting more money from sellers with promoted listing ads. Taken right out of Goodfellas. Instead of protection money, it is promotion money. First suppress listings (held for ransom) and once paid the listings may be promoted or held longer so more money can be extorted from seller. If not, sellers listings will never see the light of day.

Oh and expect more Tools to come out raving about the increase in sales since using the paid ad promotions.

One more thing..if there are sellers listing multiple quantities in the antiques category, the items are being mass produced and fakes.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Wed Apr 27 14:58:29 2016

There are lots of sellers out there that opt'd out of cross promotions.  So I'm not sure how ending cross promoting has any net affect on those sellers.  They didn't use the option, so how can the option going away hurt their sales?

by: HarmonyGroveAntiques This user has validated their user name.

Wed Apr 27 17:36:43 2016

So we can pay to have our Antiques promoted on Ebay but it is only good for multiple listings? Umm. We have a Pair of Antique Night Stands. Does that count cuz that is as close to multi-listings as our Antiques get?!

Freakin' Morons!

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 28 08:52:51 2016

The Peter Principal at work==Wenig rose to the level of his incompetency.

It is obvious that ebay corp is run by ethically challenged and corrupt management--nothing new there---and even just this week Wenig was arguing to DISCRIMINATE AGAINST it's FEMALE WORKERS.

That tells ME all I need to know about him and his company.

We need an alternative.

by: wcanon This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 28 09:03:06 2016

A LOT of sites are putting this line of HTML after their listing and before the "People are also looking at" section:
< iframe id="desc_ifr"  class="" height="10000" width="99%"..."
This line of code pushes everything that follows it down 10,000 pixels....or several full screens down the page, leaving essentially empty white space after their ad.
I have brought this to eBays attention without a response.

by: Bidonmine This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 28 12:29:16 2016

Lucky for me, Ebay's foolish changes don't have a great affect on my sales. The reason? Ebay is now less than 20% of my sales (in 2006, Ebay was 80%). Thanks to all of Ebays 'tweaking', I investigated and, since 2006, I have moved to Amazon, Etsy and flea markets.

by: Toledo Maude This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 28 12:41:21 2016

To all of my antique and collectable competitors who only list one of this and one of that - well, I am going back to all the factories that closed in the early part of the 20th Century and buy in quantity.

Those ''cracker jack'' eBay MBA's have done it again!  Brilliant!

No more will I have only one of those rare and hard to find collectables, I will listed 10 or 20 of each.

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Thu Apr 28 15:54:30 2016

@wcanon,

< iframe id="desc_ifr" class="" height="10000" width="99%"..."

About two blank pages! What a great idea ...

"I have brought this to eBays attention without a response."

I have had the same response from eBay when reporting blatantly obvious shill bidding fraud—crickets ...

Does anyone think that there is anyone at the receiving end of eBay's "report" buttons, that is, for those reports that don't directly affect eBay? I doubt it ...

This user has validated their user name. by: BuildingMyOwnSite

Thu Apr 28 19:48:57 2016

I for one, think this is pretty cool. Wow!  I'm all excited!

After years of listening to the idiots at Ebay (and over at Etsy), ask ''How would you feel about paying for higher placement in search?'', I guess Ebay has figured out one more way to pi-- me off.

I sell only Antiques, and true Vintage items.  ALL of my best items are one only.

The knockoffs from Asia trashed some of my best Pattern Glass, way back in the 60's.  That's how far back the fakes go.  There are internet companies with HUGE catalogs of fakes, in nearly EVERY category.

My few multiple items, (like hardware etc), are COMPLETELY overwhelmed by liars.  I just searched some 1950 MCM handles I purchased yesterday.  The jerks I compete with, have similar new hardware listed in BOTH the Antique, AND the Home & Garden categories....... and they call them Vintage, (not even Vintage Style).  They come in packaging with BAR CODES!!!!!

I thought JD was the worst thing ever to happen to Ebay.  God, I am stupid.  WHY would I think they would replace him, with anything better........  After all, what can you get for 10 or 20 million these days?

What I want to know, is if there is actually a meeting room, at Ebay & Etsy, where those fools sit around, and say:

''Don't worry, they LOVE Kool-Aid''

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Fri Apr 29 10:48:17 2016

eBay wrote the book on throwing their sellers under the bus. With a partner like eBay, who needs enemies.

This user has validated their user name. by: RKTOYS

Fri Apr 29 12:33:51 2016

I took my first steps with the Square API this week.  So far it's less of a basket case than Google Checkout was.  Perhaps by June I will have my self-hosted store back up and running...

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Fri Apr 29 21:11:51 2016

By the way, did anyone ever see any evidence of, Wenig/eBay reconnecting with small sellers?  Why did he say that? I have seen no example of that. I've seen quite the opposite, so someone please prove me wrong.

This user has validated their user name. by: bitbybit

Fri Apr 29 23:15:05 2016

@Rexford
Wenig's definition of small seller may mean someone making $1 million and no fewer than 10 employees. Who knows, but his arrogance is coming to the forefront. The majority of us are obviously not taken seriously and are considered the continuing noise.

by: rhawk This user has validated their user name.

Sat Apr 30 07:24:39 2016

Ebay will regret their actions on sellers.

I thought Wenig had a handle on ebay, and was reversing course from the toilet funnel JD put ebay on.

It is clear the new regime is out of touch with ecommerce as well.

Ebay will continue the long slow death....

Anyone who has 100% of your business at ebay needs to rethink that strategy.

by: fAlken This user has validated their user name.

Sat Apr 30 10:10:58 2016

Good god, this company is circling the drain.  I'm afraid that Etsy will go down the same path.  When these companies go public they turn to s*it.