Thu Mar 31 2016 13:18:29

What Do You Think of New Etsy Shopping Cart Feature?

Etsy launched a new feature that allows shoppers to save items in their shopping carts to purchase at a later time. Buyers will see the "Save for Later" option for each item they place in their Etsy cart.

Here's how it works:

"This feature will allow shoppers to put aside items that they don't intend to purchase immediately, but may want to remember to purchase in the future. It won't reserve an item or take it out of the seller's inventory."

More information is on this Etsy post. Note that right now only a "small number of members" have access to the feature, Etsy will roll it out to more users over the coming weeks.

Is this standard online shopping-cart behavior, or should sellers be worried given many of the items on Etsy are unique? Will buyers find it a convenience, or might they be disappointed if they come back to purchase the item later and find it unavailable?

What Do You Think of New Etsy Shopping Cart Feature?   What Do You Think of New Etsy Shopping Cart Feature?

This user has validated their user name. by: White Rabbit

Thu Mar 31 16:35:08 2016

I certainly think it is a good idea, a no brainer. Every once in a while even Etsy screws up and does something right :-)

It should help those with quality merchandise mostly. my opinion.

I assume etsy will try to figure out a way to use this feature to promote the chinese crap and their favorite sellers. or better yet to try to charge the sellers a special use fee for it?

I will wait and see but I do not trust Etsy one tiny bit to be fair and do the right thing.

by: Sierra This user has validated their user name.

Fri Apr 1 09:49:09 2016

Since Etsy's checkout system requires orders from each shop to be paid separately, it's easy enough to just leave items in your cart. Unless they're planning to change this???

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Fri Apr 1 18:28:35 2016

I put my shop on vacation.
No sales in a week.
Now I'll fix up the house  :o)

by: Repricero This user has validated their user name.

Sat Apr 2 01:15:15 2016

I thought they always saved shopping carts! Amazon has been doing this for some time now

by: MostlyArt This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 4 00:20:57 2016

I wonder how it will be changing?  I've been leaving things in my cart for years.  It doesn't remove the item from the shop until you pay for it, and if someone does buy the item before you do it puts a note that the item is not available for sale.

by: birdieluv This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 4 07:18:03 2016

Perfect, although I always leave stuff in my cart on Etsy anyway. It doesn't disappear unless I delete it. I have a huge list of ''buy it later'' on Amazon, so it's a good move. Now, if they can just figure out how to have small sellers get more sales, the world will be round again.

by: Flying Childers This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 4 07:37:35 2016

What a crock of BS! Sierra is right- you can already do this, it's nothing new. I always save items in my cart and they stay there until I remove them or go to buy them.

Typical of Etsy to try and muddy the waters with some make believe fix for a non existent problem.

Meanwhile-they are rolling out the new shop format that is going to put many sellers out of business.

They made it impossible to re-arrange your shop if you have more than 5 items. Just try it and see what I mean. Oh, and read the 1000s of begging requests from sellers to go back to the way it was. It takes over 50 separate steps to move ONE item.

Another reason so many know, love and trust Etsy.

This user has validated their user name. by: White Rabbit

Mon Apr 4 07:55:50 2016

now see,i would have known that if i had of even once bought something from Etsy..LOL

So they just made this up... probably needed another bogus press release or one of the employees was smoking to much stuff?

by: Garcia This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 4 09:06:13 2016

I don't see the difference with this new cart option and leaving things in your cart as we could always do.  Since Etsy never removed an item that you put in your cart until you bought it or it sold, I don't see how this is going to make much difference. It will only encourage people to put an item in their cart instead of favoring it which will mean cluttered carts.  Fine if Etsy wants to do that but since it is not a real change it probably will not help with sales.

This user has validated their user name. by: IDKwhoIare

Mon Apr 4 09:23:38 2016

I am concerned about the impact to search results.  At this point in time Etsy says that if buyers Favorite an item (or your store) that it (or store) gets a boost in search results.  Boost of course means show up in search results at all.  If people stop Favoriting items as a means to find it again and put it on a ''Save for Later'' list instead, will it still get a boost from the bots?  Is it a different kind of boost or even a detriment to search placement?  I can see a problem if one's items are always showing up in that kind of list and never bought...might it disappear from view then?  Will they let us know that our items are on such a list?  If we lower the price, will that info post to the buyer? Questions, questions, questions.

As usual, Etsy makes changes and leaves Sellers in the dark & muddy waters of their wake - with no meaningful explanations of real impact to other areas of the Etsy world.  Unprofessional, short-sighted and egotistic...it seems that a venue can't escape taking on the personality traits of the people who ''run'' it.

by: wallflower This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 4 10:28:04 2016

I viewed an item on Etsy Saturday and a giant thick black outline of a shopping cart appeared on the item pages, blocking out the price. That was weird. Looks like it's gone now.

by: Noneya This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 4 11:43:26 2016

IDKwhoIare has a very valid point. Will this lead to a drop off in favoriting which currently is very much tied to search placement?

Otherwise Who Cares, people have been leaving items in their cart for years this is no new thing sellers or buyers have been asking for. Please fix search instead and get rid of the stupid rule that sellers using Etsy's poorly thought out return policy get a bump in placement while professionally run shops with well thought out policies get left behind.

by: Toledo Maude This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 4 13:01:58 2016

I mark some items on QVC and Amazon as ''favorites'' or something when I am looking for a possible purchase down the road.

Great idea!  Saves me from having to start from scratch when I return to look or buy the item again. However, my buy through rate is maybe 50%.

As a seller on Etsy, I have no idea if any of my items purchased were kept  in a buyer's shopping cart to be purchased at a later date.

I do love it when a potential buyer asks if I would hold an item (usually til their next payday).  I am always ''pleased as punch'' to withdraw the item and relist it on the date requested reserving the item for them.

by: Flying Childers This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 4 20:35:58 2016

It's gotten to the point that I believe nothing that I read that is put out by the powers that be who run Etsy. They lie about everything including stats, views, clicks, you name it. Much simpler to assume they never tell the truth.

This user has validated their user name. by: White Rabbit

Tue Apr 5 10:38:53 2016

Etsy fails to PAY on time once again

latest one of many threads that etsy closed on this subject!

page/15

This user has validated their user name. by: White Rabbit

Tue Apr 5 11:07:55 2016

l
ooks
like they closed all the other threads.. bad move  LOL

the general feeling is Etsy has a cash flow money problem.