Sat Dec 17 2016 22:21:11

How to Get an eBay Buyer to Revise Their Feedback

By: Marie

Did you know it's possible for buyers to revise feedback left for sellers? However, it isn't easy - here's the lowdown from a longtime seller.

I was inspired by a recent letter to Ina on the Letters to the Editor blog from Jim regarding his dilemma with feedback recently left on his account by a customer he fully refunded and allowed them to keep the product. There will always be those customers no matter what you do they are not happy. But trying to turn that around is often worthwhile.

When a buyer leaves you negative or neutral feedback after you thought you had resolved the issue to their satisfaction, it stings. Contacting the buyer is in order to see what happened and why they were still feeling it was appropriate to hit your feedback rating. Without pointing fingers, throwing eBay under the bus, or applying your personal feelings in the email, ask them what still has them upset or concerned. Remain completely professional and show concern for their feelings and/or thoughts on the issue.

I know this can be very hard at times, but keeping your end goal in mind, keep it simple, respectful and on target. But try to find out what their reason was. This way you can address it.

If you get that figured out and you are able to fix or just apologize in a way that makes them happy, then ask them if they are willing to revise the feedback they left. If they are willing to revise the feedback they left, it is in your best interest to understand the best way to accomplish this.

Do not put this on your buyer to figure out. You have the ability to make this process easy and painless for your buyer. It is never a good idea to leave your buyer to do all the work trying to figure something out. That is part of our jobs as sellers. Our job is to make it as easy as possible for our customers. I know that this can be very difficult at times. But for your sanity and the health of your account on eBay, it is in your best interest to do that.

So let's say you now have your buyer stating in an email that they would revise the FB. That is the hardest part, so good job. This is an important first step. The next step would be to send your buyer an email and let them know that you will have eBay send them an email that will allow them to revise the feedback. They should receive it shortly after you send this email to them. Let them know that all they need to do is open the email and click on the link inside the email. It will take them to an eBay screen where they can easily and quickly revise the feedback.

There are a few things to know about this process so you can use it in an effective manner: You can only do a formal request for FB revision within 30 days of receiving the FB. There is a limit to how many FB revisions that you have at your disposal. You get 1 per every 200 FB received. And if you send someone a FB revision request, they only have a life of 10 days.

If the buyer does not use it within 10 days of the date sent, it will close. Once closed, the seller can't send another one to the same buyer nor can they reopen it. This is why you always want to know if the buyer is going to work with you on this before you send them the revision request.

This first link offers you some information only. It will explain how the process is handled for the buyer.

This link is where you can go to issue the Revision Request. The second item in the box on this page is for asking a buyer to revise FB. To the right of side of your screen is the link to click on called "submit a feedback request." Click on that and it will take you to a page to issue the request.

About the Columnist
Marie left her corporate accounting job over a decade ago to begin selling on eBay in order to spend more time with her children. She is a frequent commentor on the EcommerceBytes blogs, where she shares her advice and opinions about how to succeed on eBay.

How to Get an eBay Buyer to Revise Their Feedback   How to Get an eBay Buyer to Revise Their Feedback

by: FeelingFroggy This user has validated their user name.

Sun Dec 18 05:44:11 2016

If feedback no longer counts against the seller why would the seller care.

We don't. We just block and move on. Its not worth our time to babysit buyers who are more than likely losers.

Seller feedback is as funny as the buyer 100 per cent feedback.

Just get over it.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Sun Dec 18 10:38:25 2016

Feedback is still an important selling tool for a seller.  It can have a large affect on whether a buyer decides to shop your listings or not.

This user has validated their user name. by: eXtinctBay

Sun Dec 18 10:41:09 2016

First, congratulations, Marie, on the ''promotion'' to columnist. Whether this is temporary or permanent, well-earned nevertheless.

@Froggy

Have a return or neutral / negative feedback lately? As most of us know, this will come with a temporary punishment, no matter who was at fault.

The feedback system has certainly evolved since I started on eBay 19 years ago. Anyone could leave a feedback, either good, bad, or ugly, at any time, for any user.

There were folks advertising services where they would guarantee a huge number of feedbacks to your account (for a fee, of course).

Also, competitors could attempt to destroy your business by leaving a negative, and then enlisting their friends to do the same. About 2001, I believe, they only allowed ''transactional'' feedback to eliminate the madness.

Because of this, I, over 18 years ago, suggested to eBay that they make a small, important change. A prospective buyer could simply click the number of negative or neutral feedbacks a user received, and see WHY this person has these on his or her record.

With this, and the follow-up comments one could leave, you could tell your side of the story (of why the buyer or seller left the negative or neutral feedback) without someone having to sift through hundreds or thousands of feedbacks to see why these are on your account.

Well, about 5 or 6 years ago, they finally made these changes. I WAS SO PROUD! It was a long time coming. Now if eBay can just address their other problems with common sense, it will benefit all of us, and especially their corporate profits.

by: mcposty This user has validated their user name.

Sun Dec 18 12:16:43 2016

Or sue the buyer. Libel is a serious offense

by: ebayisscrewed This user has validated their user name.

Sun Dec 18 14:05:21 2016

1.  Sellers who give a full refund and allow buyers to keep the item to protect their feedback or to get a feedback revision are a more serious problem on eBay than bad buyers in my opinion.   This sets a dangerous precedent and I personally see a tremendous increase of buyers demanding partial refunds or full refunds and not wanting to return the item.   There is not a single other retail site in the world that allows for a refund without a return.   Nor is there a retail store that you can show up to without the product you bought and demand and get a refund.  It is nonsensical.

2.  eBay recognized this as a major issue and a major trend in buyer behavior.  This is why they removed negative feedback as a part of your monthly review.   Additionally too much money was being spent by eBay on feedback customer service.

3.  This may shock you, but Buyers don't look at feedback, sellers do.   Buyers seldom look at feedback before making a purchase.  Especially in the eBay Mobile App, where it is very difficult to even navigate feedback responses.  I guarantee you as a seller, you have viewed your feedback profile today more than all of your potential buyers or actual customers have.   Don't believe me, send a survey out asking.

4.  Stop worrying about feedback.  Do your best, provide great products and customer service and the rest will work itself out.   A few bad apples will never cost you in search or purchases.

by: dans parts This user has validated their user name.

Sun Dec 18 18:17:44 2016

I've been on eBay since 1999.  The number of Buyers I have been able to sweet-talk into changing their rotten FB for me can be counted on one hand.  After multiple amputations...

This user has validated their user name. by: Ina

Sun Dec 18 20:21:36 2016

Question: can the types of products you sell (and their condition - new vs used) make a big difference in what kind of attitude buyers may have?

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Sun Dec 18 22:10:51 2016

CONGRATS  @MARIE!!!!!

Good advice--I have had one or two  of  these revisions  over  all  the years I have  been on ebay  and  had to ask  for one as a Seller  once  when I completely mixed  up two  buyers  and left  NFB  for  one--the wrong one!  That was back  in the day  tho when  you could get actual  help  on this stuff  with a simple phone  call.  Sigh!

@Ina---I  don't sell over a wide  variety  of categories but  I have  found  that  a few  things  generate  more  complaints:  Condition---esp  when something  is  Used;  this is of course  subjective  but easily  abused.  (And of course  ebay  says--Too Bad So Sad  on 99.9999 of  these  things!)

Buyers who CAN'T  or  REFUSE to read  an item description---if  the Seller TELLS you  the item is  a  size;  or new or used;  or  Made In The USA---these  people should  be treated as BUYERS REMORSE customers and NOT be  allowed  to  return  (If you have a No Return Policy)  or NOT be  allowed  to keep the item and get a refund or partial  refund.
Part of  the blame  for this is  the ebay mobile  site-it is confusing;  very hard  to navigate;  and  shows  almost  none of the actual  listing  so a buyer CANNOT  make a good decision  based  just  on viewing  it.   It's  fine  for  on the go  checks  of  things  you might want to look at later on a tablet  or  laptop--but--not so good  for  buying  and getting what you wanted--because  you simply do not HAVE the info TO buy  correctly.  When  the buyer  gets the item  they get mad  because it doesn't  match  their  imaginary  picture  of  what  they THOUGHT  was coming!

This user has validated their user name. by: bitbybit

Sun Dec 18 22:16:30 2016

The bottom of the barrel buyers will always find something wrong with an item, whether old or new, when trying to extort partial or full refunds. The threat of getting a bad feedback was always there. It need not be stated but only in Ebay's lalaland the buyer has to admit in messages and/or feedback their criminal intent in order for the seller to get a negative removed. What thief is actually going to own up to their criminal plan?

Knowing that everyone's idea of perfection varies makes the very definition of the word perfect invalid when it comes to material things. Really..do sellers on eBay have any more energy and time to keep fighting these same battles? Ebay likes to keep everything and everyone off-kilter to maintain the upper hand. They have done this for so long the eBay platform has become completely unstable.

As far as getting an ebay buyer to revise their feedback, how do we even know the ''submit a feedback request'' link won't change overnight or even be there next week?

This user has validated their user name. by: LasVagueness

Mon Dec 19 01:37:57 2016

I have probably used feedback revision 4-5 times over the years and each time the revision was successfully processed. Most customers just want their concerns validated by the seller.

@ebayisscrewed As a buyer I *always* carefully review feedback prior to a purchase and feedback will persuade me to choose one seller over another.

Nice inaugural post, Marie!

by: James-ST This user has validated their user name.

Mon Dec 19 02:12:59 2016

I have used ask buyer to revise feedback and had success many times after solving the issue. Sometimes it was just a case of contacting them to listen to the issue. I do not ever refund unless the issue is genuine. eg The listing needed more detail and whilst everything was clear to me it is not always to everyone and improvements could be made. I have used eBay to assist with removing feedback but the results are inconsistent and are linked more the the customer service agent than the issue itself.

I have placed less importance on this now since eBay downgraded its importance but it is always worth a professional response to show other potential buyer to listen and care.

I have been made aware recently of a seller who has zero neutral, zero negative and over 20,000 positives. Now with over 800,000 listings with several being used car parts - this is impossible without a lot of removal assistance from eBay. Upon watching this sellers feedback daily I see neutral and negative feedbacks appear and disappear within 24 hours without counting as a feedback revision. I sell over 5000 items a month and no longer have an account manager and could only dream of this assistance.

by: tradernick This user has validated their user name.

Mon Dec 19 08:25:06 2016

Great article Marie, very well written.  I've had to use FB revision a few times over the years.  It's a good option but too restrictive.
Honestly I'm with Froggie on this one.  Feedback doesn't count for anything with ebay anymore so why should I jump through hoops to preserve it?  If I can't resolve with an email or two, I just block and move forward.

@ Extintbay  you said "Yes, feedback does count against the seller, in the way of hidden and blacked out listings."  What's your source for this info?

I don't know that buyers consult feedback before purchasing.  I'd like to think they do but I have a feeling that ebay has sort of let the whole concept die quietly.  In fact I wouldn't be surprised if they do away with it altother at some point.  Negative feedback should relect badly on sellers, but having a lot of sellers with negative feedback that are still selling items daily might reflect badly on ebay, yet they usually won't take action against someone that dings their cash register so I expect ebay may want to keep the sellers but discontinue feedback to avoid ebay being cast in a bad light.

by: Barbbie This user has validated their user name.

Mon Dec 19 09:48:37 2016

Good story Marie, a helpful reminder, sometimes sellers do not know all the options available!

I have only tried to get the customer to revise their feedback twice, both were positive comments that they chose negative for.  First guy said he would do it and apologized but never did and the second person I never heard back from. Both were in the days were it counted.
I bend over backwards to help any buyer that has an issue, even those that left the bad feedback so in my opinion, the ones I currently have are hopeless.
But, maybe those that left feedback without contacting me could possibly change if I asked.

I think that Extintbay may have a good point, on Amazon, negative feedback will slow your sales, (you can lose some of your buy boxes).  It is always possible ebay could come up with or already has a algorithm to depress your sales (LOL, I know, how could they be worse!)

As a buyer, I do consult the feedback, if I see a pattern of say, non receipt or lots of cancellations, I figure it is a drop shipper and move on. Sometimes you see claims of supposed US sellers sending items direct from China. So I think feedback still has a usefulness, I just wish it was 2 way.

On Amazon, feedback removal requests are pretty simple.  First it tries to remove automatically.  If that is declined, then you can put in a request and someone will look at it. I have had many eliminated that way even on the second look and I have found it to be fair for the most part.

by: Toledo Maude This user has validated their user name.

Mon Dec 19 12:13:20 2016

For my first 5 or 6 years on eBay, I avoided any negative feedback.  Quite proud of it, but rather than congratulate myself for excellence in customer service, I was most likely just lucky to have good buyers or at least ones who could not be bothered to leave feedback.

Suffering the fate of most small sellers, my current order volume is way down, but I seem to be the target of one stinker buyer per year who leaves a negative comment.

The ''report a buyer'' link seems to work as well as most ''close door'' buttons on elevators.  Feel good about reporting a buyer but do not expect any action on eBay's part.  The single eBay employer responsible for investigating buyers' negative feedback is frequently ''out-to-lunch''.

With my record low Christmas sales on eBay, it appears that those cracker jack MBA's running eBay are far more interested in their big box sellers rather than protecting, nurturing, and ensuring the financial health of small (tiny) sellers.

Small sellers future on eBay can be summed up by managements attitude toward small sellers as ''here today, gone tomorrow and who cares...''

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Mon Dec 19 14:53:11 2016

Thank you for all the well wishes.  It is very kind of all of you and greatly appreciated.  I hope it will help some of the readers avoid being stuck with a FB they might be able to get changed.

There is always those buyers out there that no matter what you do, you just can't make them happy.  But there are others that you can reason with and I encourage you to try.

FB is still important for sellers.  While some buyers don't review it, others do.  It can also affect sellers in their search result placements.

by: Hork This user has validated their user name.

Mon Dec 19 19:27:15 2016

Marie - I just want to say that whenever I go to a thread in Ecommercebyte about Ebay, I always scroll through to see if you have commented, because I know you will have pertinent, common-sense things to say on the topic, without a perpetual ax to grind, like many of the other regulars. Many times you have helped me keep my sanity about the lunacy that sometimes pervades Ebay. So please know that someone out here REALLY appreciates you!

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Dec 19 22:57:45 2016

Firstly - thanks to whomever it was that removed my earlier post - good to know that "protection" exists.

Secondly, yes negative feedbacks do count - they always have. Its simply a percentage of your sales. Like the arbitrary # awarded to sellers that "they are allowed to sell" (what ever that means) (illogical if your business is box moving), negative feedbacks are an indicator of your performance.

While on Amazon a low feedback is directly tied to what you can do on the platform, on eBay its a convoluted algorithm, mixed in with how much you sell (do you meet their expectations of your account)(set by a computer program), what buyers rate you (stars etc) and whether or not you are a carrot jumper.

Amazons "secret sauce" is abit more straight forward, on eBay as usual - its convoluted.

As an aside, as a seller I always look at buyers who have less then 100 or so feedbacks and I check to see what they left for others - to try and head off any potential issue(s).

Marie - good luck on your new part time gig :)

This user has validated their user name. by: blueribbon1844

Wed Dec 21 08:25:26 2016

really? trying to get some moron to revise feedback is just more waste of time. block, move on and don't waste your time dealing with idiots. life is to short...

by: Volvo351 This user has validated their user name.

Wed Dec 21 11:21:13 2016

One rivision per 200 FB's? At the rate FB's are being left, that's about one per decade!

by: Massachusets Howler This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jan 6 18:11:53 2017

Too bad that we sellers are technically not allowed to question buyers about fb left, so Maries advice is wrong.