Thu Nov 17 2016 19:38:34

eBay Adds HGTV Sponsorship to Holiday Marketing

eBay is investing in brand marketing this holiday season, and in addition to new TV commercials, it's sponsoring content on cable channel HGTV (Home & Garden Television). Watch this eBay-sponsored HGTV tips video on YouTube. And you can find a few others on eBay's YouTube Channel.

eBay explained:

"Millions of consumers rely on HGTV for inspiration when it comes to decorating their homes. So, we teamed up with them to sponsor decorating content and even deliver an eBay sponsored gallery, complete with shoppable moments. When a browser enters the gallery, they can click on the colored circles to locate the corresponding item on eBay. Then - bam - they're exploring pages and pages of items they didn't even know eBay offered. Game changer."

eBay has also created a cohesive look and feel across all of its advertising vehicles - "Whether a buyer comes in from a TV spot to the home page or from an interactive social media post to the Holiday gift hub, the creative works together for a unified experience, not just a transaction."

However, when we clicked on the links in the videos, it sent us to a landing page featuring Allied Trade Group - and featuring a 20% off coupon just for that one seller.

Have you seen eBay on TV or on social networking sites this month?

And are you seeing any uptick in traffic to your listings?

eBay Adds HGTV Sponsorship to Holiday Marketing   eBay Adds HGTV Sponsorship to Holiday Marketing

by: FeelingFroggy This user has validated their user name.

Fri Nov 18 06:22:30 2016

No to all questions????

by: Valaset This user has validated their user name.

Fri Nov 18 10:39:22 2016

I have had a nice uptick in sales, but that is more due to inventory at my business than the marketing campaign.  But when I was at EBAY OPEN 2016 I did speak to Devin Wenig and told him the #1 thing he could do to help sellers was a national advertising campaign to remind buyers that there is a great option other than Amazon.com   He said this program was already in the works.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Fri Nov 18 16:00:40 2016

I used to watch HGTV quite a bit for several years after we bought our first house, but I haven't watched it in ages. I don't know how much of what eBay is offering is going to be of interest to the shows' demographic.

And I laughed at "... they're exploring pages and pages of items they didn't even know eBay offered." It looks like eBay is once again trying to tell people what they should be buying.

by: Snapped This user has validated their user name.

Fri Nov 18 17:38:00 2016

And each page will have an ad that directs the buyer AWAY from eBay to another seller site.

Pow.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Sat Nov 19 13:57:02 2016

I have seen the ad a few times on TV.  But it so far has done nothing for my sales.  In fact, November appears to be the worst month for sales I have EVER had.

I don't know what is up, but sales, for me, have dropped off some cliff.  I'm hoping that the latter half of November will be good.  Fingers crossed!

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Sat Nov 19 19:29:35 2016

Marie, you will likely disagree with me, but for the last few years I have seen sales fall off once the Christmas selling season begins. My theory is that they throttle the small sellers during this time so that the big enterprise sellers make the big bucks.  It seems to have happened every year for the past few years.  I mean really, shouldn't there be an uptick of sales during the busy holiday buying season?

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Sat Nov 19 19:33:06 2016

@rexford

That hasn't been my experience.  August and about the first half of September are my slowest times of the year.  Then things start picking up again.  I've never seen a November like this in my entire time on Ebay and I've been around for quite awhile.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Sun Nov 20 09:55:56 2016

Marie, what I am noticing is that if my items have a UPC or EAN, they are much more likely to sell than if they don't.  This tells me they may be favoring items with a UPC or EAN.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Sun Nov 20 12:40:30 2016

@rexford

Again, that one isn't my experience either.  I do have quite a few listings that a UPC doesn't apply, then I have quite a few that do have UPCs.  For November I am just dead in the water for some reason and it makes no sense to me at all.  But it is my sincere hope that your sales are doing far better than mine.

by: Snapped This user has validated their user name.

Sun Nov 20 21:45:47 2016

Saw an Amazon commercial during a halftme today.  A senior Christian cleric and Muslim counterpart are apparently good long-time friends, each suffering from knee pain during a social visit.  As each part company, one sees them thinking, then reaching for their mobile device to 'place an order' - via Amazon.  (Amazon has done a similar campaign all year....recall the poor mini-pony who couldn't make friends perhaps, or the dog who got a fake Lion's mane so to befriend the family's new baby?)

Anyway, each cleric winds up ordering the same thing for the other.  A pair of spiffy modern kneepads.  It ends showing each, in turn, receiving them via delivery with wry chagrin, putting them on under ther robes, then kneeling to worship in their own respective fashion. In comfort.

No dialog.  Simple logo at the close.

Powerful, topical, memorable.  Now THAT is how to advertise, widely, cleverly, in prime time, on media people actually patronize widely.

No pitiful colored circles, nor contrived 'experiences', nor an army of 'Amy's Barbies' even comes close.

Bam.