Sat Oct 8 2016 22:32:47

Deterring Front Porch Package Theft Can Get Messy

More and more thieves are targeting online shoppers as those packages piled up on porches prove to be too tempting. Even with home surveillance cameras mounted on many properties, criminals still walk boldly up to porches and take off with the loot.

Someone sent us a link to a video showing someone supposedly getting revenge on a package thief by leaving an exploding poo "bait box" that detonates 40 seconds after being picked up.

People were not buying that the video was real - regardless, it's quite juvenile, to say the least. But it's a reminder that as the holiday-shopping season heats up, package theft is a growing threat to online buyers and sellers.

There are services built around solving for this problem, such as package lockers, safestoop and package guard - and home security systems are exploring ways to let delivery people inside homes while homeowners are away.

As sellers, having buyers complain about undelivered or stolen packages is just one more thing to worry about.

Deterring Front Porch Package Theft Can Get Messy   Deterring Front Porch Package Theft Can Get Messy

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Sat Oct 8 23:18:26 2016

The USPS has a "Hold for Pickup" label for Express, Priority and 1st Class Packages.

I don't see this option on eBay shipping but I have read that it is available from Stamps.com

eBay needs to implement this ASAP

up-label-api.htm#_Toc439858798

by: FeelingFroggy This user has validated their user name.

Sun Oct 9 06:59:25 2016

If I were a thief of porch packages the last package I would steal is one emblazoned with the AMAZON OR EBAY labels as these are probably fake.

I do like the exploding poo though.
Juvenile or not I'm willing to bet the homeowner will be laughing for years about it.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Sun Oct 9 13:19:55 2016

@toolguy

I don't see why this should be the seller's responsibility to notify USPS to hold for pick up.  Not all buyers want this.  I know as a buyer I don't.  So I don't want a seller making this decision for me.  As a buyer I'd be quite upset if they did that.

Now a buyer can notify their local PO that they want packages held and that is the appropriate way for that to be handled.  The buyer notifies USPS to hold all packages.

Buyers have responsibilities too.  Everything does not belong in the lap of a seller.  If a buyer lives in an area that this may be a problem, then the buyer can easily solve the problem for themselves by contacting their local PO.  It is a decision that should be the buyer's not the seller's.

by: FeelingFroggy This user has validated their user name.

Sun Oct 9 15:27:34 2016

@ Marie

Buyers have a responsibility too = Oxemoron.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Sun Oct 9 17:02:36 2016

I don't feel the same way you do about my customers.  The vast majority of mine I would love to do business with again.  It is a very minor amount of them that are problematic for me.

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Sun Oct 9 19:50:24 2016

Electrified dropbox.
220v AC
Arms itself after package is deposited and lid is closed.
Only the owner can disarm it.
:o)

by: thebobman This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 10 00:54:42 2016

>Electrified dropbox.

Just a metal or heavy wood box attached to the porch, ground, lead plates in the bottom, etc..

Put an unlocked lock on it. Get to know the carrier and have them click the lock when they drop packages inside

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 10 06:53:28 2016

A regular buyer should know that they can ship pkgs to UPS or Fedex for pickup even if it's USPS.  They charge about $1-2 for pickup.  I did it with large packages.

by: GotToGetOut This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 10 08:03:40 2016

Marie, I totally agree-- I don't want any of my packages held for pickup. I don't have a problem with packages being taken from my house. In fact, I leave my outgoing packages on the stone wall under my mailbox and I've never had a package taken yet!

by: quirkyantiques This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 10 10:06:05 2016

@Marie "buyers have a responsibility too". Well-not according to Paypal they don't.....
I send ALL my parcels with signature confirmation-with thousands of parcels sent I have never had a customer complain about it

by: Barbbie This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 10 11:24:54 2016

I send a few that are more expensive for me to replace with signature confirmation and I actually did have a buyer on Amazon complain constantly about it until she finally went and picked it up. She was furious and left me negative feedback too.
It doesn't deter me though but some will get mad about it even if they don't act on it.

by: fifilapew This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 10 11:32:12 2016

I pay approximately $150 a year for my UPS mailbox. UPS can sign for packages, USPS po box does not. Also, Fedex & UPS will deliver to this address because it is not a po box, it is called a suite. Both do not deliver to USPS Po boxes

Yes, I know just another added expense but worth the peace of mind knowing my packages are secure especially if I am traveling for more then a couple of days. Plus the UPS store is climate controlled.

If you live in a busy area or have had packages stolen in the past and buy online frequently, protect your investments and rent a mailbox whether it is through UPS or USPS

After awhile the shipping companies will only honor so many lost/stolen insurance claims before stating that you as the buyer should know better then to have parcels delivered to an unsecured location

Common sense folks

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Mon Oct 10 14:06:57 2016

I was just mentioning "Hold for Pickup" as another option a buyer and seller could have.

If customers had a choice maybe some of them would pick "Hold for Pickup" for some items.

Like I said, it's just another tool for everyone involved, I'm not saying to make it mandatory ~ LOL