Mon Oct 3 2016 15:02:37

eBay Experiences Partial Outage Monday Afternoon

"Web server won't load." "Ebay DNS not available." "Web site won't load properly." Those were some of the reports coming in to Down Detector about the eBay website on Monday afternoon beginning at about 1:30 pm ET.

Meanwhile an EcommerceBytes reader explained the problem she was experiencing, writing a little after 2 pm: "The eBay website continuing to be unsecured is bad enough but for two hours now I have not been able to log on to the eBay website at all. I keep getting a "Server not found" message. Is it me? Is it because it's Monday?"

One sellers on the eBay Technical Issues board wrote on Monday morning - before the afternoon reports of an outage - about problems they described as chronic:

Numerous problems this past week. Here is the pattern.

1. Some part of the site starts having problems... let's say page formating for your listing.
2. It stays like that for a few minutes.... let's say 10 minutes.
3. Then the whole site shuts down for 5 to 10 minutes.
4. It comes back on line and everything is fine for a short time.
5. Then it repeats, but with another part of the site going down.... like messages or anything.

Going into the second week of this.... and it is constant.

Reports are still coming in to Down Detector as we write this, but it appears to be a partial outage as some are able to access the site okay. "Website came back up but can't sell. 1:54 Central time," is the most recent comment on DownDetector.com.

eBay Experiences Partial Outage Monday Afternoon   eBay Experiences Partial Outage Monday Afternoon

by: tango This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 3 17:16:00 2016

yup - California here -  ebay.com is struggling to stay up.  I get server not found messages for the past few hours.  The only way to get to ebay is thru google:  ebay  and than choose a subcategory, ie Motors to load the page, then you can start moving around.  It has been happening for a few hours now, but not so bad as not to work - but I can see the drop off of orders coming thru, buyers are not as dedicated as sellers :)  good luck all.

by: RL15 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 3 17:39:08 2016

what a surprise....said nobody

shoddy ebay doing what it does best

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Mon Oct 3 18:41:01 2016

Just pitiful.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ina

Mon Oct 3 20:18:51 2016

I am seeing similar complaints about Etsy too, wondering if this is a bigger problem than just eBay.

by: Ania This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 3 21:05:03 2016

Having the same problemon ebay. Initially when called cs suggested using a differnt browser. Only now they said that it was due to an ebay update - but who can believe them

by: skyhooks This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 3 21:12:07 2016

I recently reported this to EKB. I cannot list relist or sell similar without the PayPal button disappearing, then the price, then the shipping all of these disappear after I get to the bottom to continue. eBay are of no help. Clear your browser etc is all they say this does not help. I am over this now as it is taking me at least 15 minutes to list an item

by: Ania This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 3 21:14:55 2016

Ebay just came up - so the server DNS issue - or whatever it was must have been resolved

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Mon Oct 3 22:09:52 2016

Add to this all my favorite categories, with no exceptions, are down to a minuscule (smaller than a paltry) 1 page or less.
I never thought I would see this, ever.
So, for the wise a$$e$ who quip that Ebay will "Never" lower it's Final Value Fees, or its listing fees, and allow STRIPE gateway, the time is near. And when they do, I will happily join in.
I'll just keep my distance for now.

by: Snapped This user has validated their user name.

Tue Oct 4 00:35:58 2016

"Clear your browser is all they say..."

How....innovative.

Well, it IS one way to increase their CS 'problem solved' count I suppose, so there's that.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Tue Oct 4 07:11:26 2016

Snapped, I just love when any CSR with any company asks me "did you clear you cookies and cache" when there is a problem.

I normally begin the conversation telling them what I have done so I don't have to hear such a lame response. Cookies do get corrupted, I get it, but most issues that we call about are so much more than this.

by: jcaiazz This user has validated their user name.

Tue Oct 4 07:26:51 2016

Down websites could be affected by who controls the Internet now... which is ICANN and no longer the USA🇺🇸.  See link to read details.  Not giving an excuse here because I'm a (disappointed) seller on ebay- but this could be their down-problem. Though they should have been prepared...it seems to have something to do with websites and change languages and are worldwide like ebay.

by: jcaiazz This user has validated their user name.

Tue Oct 4 07:28:53 2016

Here is link to article found about ICANN and their management (now) of the Internet superhighway.

by: jcaiazz This user has validated their user name.

Tue Oct 4 07:39:30 2016

Post Script~ ebay is giving excuses like clearing cookies and using different browser, but their problem is affected with DNS ERRORS. See this link for more info on what DNS is🤓  http://www.networksolutions.com/support/what-is-a-domain-name-se
rver-dns-and-how-does-it-work/
Again,
I'm just a simple housewife and this is my best guess. 🤔

by: Randy This user has validated their user name.

Tue Oct 4 09:15:43 2016

I haven't logged on to eBay in days, so I wouldn't know if it's up, down or sideways!

by: tango This user has validated their user name.

Tue Oct 4 10:17:20 2016

You are correct - it was a bigger problem, not just affecting ebay - same thing on Paypal - same thing on all banking connections - ie Wells Fargo, BOA - etc.  Not just ebay, so it was something else and bigger.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Tue Oct 4 10:30:50 2016

I was having problems loading ecommercebytes yesterday, it seems the whole internet was having problems. This site is much faster today.

This user has validated their user name. by: FEEbay

Tue Oct 4 10:32:00 2016

Same problem here..... Couldnt get into the seller hub for example even after getting into Ebay through Google... Dont kid yourselves folks, EBay definitely crapped the bed....AGAIN, and on the busiest day of the week

by: FLIPPER This user has validated their user name.

Tue Oct 4 13:48:10 2016

?Had the same type of problem yesterday (Monday) getting into my Paypal account. FINALLY was able to get to the site and sign in late Monday afternoon. If these problems turn out to be related to the "ICAN" handover we're all scr@wed.

by: 27tcle This user has validated their user name.

Tue Oct 4 14:54:13 2016

This one was not Ebay's fault. I tried to list stuff Sunday and gave up. It was all sorts of websites having trouble. Something in the Internet backbone either broke or was hacked and caused the DNS database and routing servers to be unstable at times, even with with multiple browsers. It was really bad Sunday into Monday. Looked like the beginning of or an attempted cyber attack to me.

This user has validated their user name. by: RKTOYS

Fri Oct 7 13:57:32 2016

You can really tell how far eBay traffic has fallen when you see a figure on Amazon for $60 and all over eBay are dozens sitting below $20.