Thu Jan 28 2016 17:01:23

Etsy Tests Changes to Search - Positive or Negative?

Etsy announced today it had launched some tests of its search engine, tailoring search results of individual shoppers based on their history on Etsy.

Some sellers received the news with open arms, feeling it would help. Others were not so receptive to the news. Among the concerns from sellers discussing the announcement on the Etsy discussion forums:

- Some said Etsy (and other companies) were unable to do a good job of predicting what shoppers were looking for based on their experiences.

- Some did not want to be pigeon-holed based on past shopping behavior.

- Some said it would be difficult for sellers to optimize their listings as a result of the change.

- Some sellers feared it would favor established, successful shops to the detriment of newer and smaller shops.

We asked Etsy when it started the tests and what percentage of shoppers were included in the testing. We also noted that some sellers believed it meant Etsy was using the same techniques as Amazon, and asked if that was an accurate characterization.

A spokesperson said Etsy had shared the extent of information available in the forums announcement, and said, "as the announcement says, we'll provide further updates if these tests result in a more permanent change to search." She added that the tests started this month, as the announcement explained, so very recently.

We'll have more information in tomorrow's Newsflash. You can read Etsy's full announcement here, which also contains links to information about how Etsy search works.

Take a look, and let us know what you think of the tests.

Updated 1/28/16.

Etsy Tests Changes to Search - Positive or Negative?   Etsy Tests Changes to Search - Positive or Negative?

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Thu Jan 28 17:19:41 2016

Too early to tell.
200 views a day with 7 - 10 sales a week is the norm.
I never pay for exposure.
I will NEVER pay for exposure.
I don't play that.

This user has validated their user name. by: White Rabbit

Thu Jan 28 21:21:25 2016

you can bet one thing .. this is all about screwing the regular sellers and helping the commercial resellers of chinese slop. Etsy need to show a profit and they care nothing about the sellers on the site.

This user has validated their user name. by: White Rabbit

Thu Jan 28 21:25:12 2016

The Etsy Liar test.....

If Etsy's spokespersons Lips are moving.. they are lying.

by: aim04744 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jan 28 23:56:40 2016

When I am shopping and search for something, I want to see what I searched for. That is it. I want to see ALL my options, not what they THINK I want. Is it really that hard to figure that out?

Sigh.

by: mindelec This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jan 29 01:27:09 2016

Yet another company goes down the amazon/ebay path of deciding that they know what I'm looking for better than I do.  It's a dark path filled with false search results.

by: Interesting Antiques This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jan 29 03:32:18 2016

So why charge the same amount to list if others' listings will be 'boosted' while some others' listings will be 'suppressed' doesn't seem fair to charge  the same? What kind of stupid underhanded logic is that?
Get your own websites people,  enough giving your hard earned money to these idiots!
And with such a huge company no phone support and e-mail support is a joke!

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Fri Jan 29 07:44:45 2016

Is etsy search broken? Are they trying to fix what isn't broken?

Sounds like the eBay game.

This user has validated their user name. by: askalice59

Fri Jan 29 12:55:28 2016

Suddenly my listing views went way down. Go figure.

by: jdbok This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jan 29 15:15:35 2016

I'm not sure as I am not a wiz at analytics but it seems my sales have gotten a boost ( I don't pay attention to views or favorites only sales)and more importantly my paid promotions have come in at a way better % per revenue.
way way better
I have problems with etsy but on the whole after so many years with ebay I really love etsy-- my sales have doubled in the past year & 1/2!
it seems they are more up front with the algorythm I just make sure my keywords are everywhere I can put them and I list new stuff as often as possible and pay whatever extra they --promos scheduling etc give me a hoop and I will jump through it to get a sale

by: Flying Childers This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jan 29 15:58:18 2016

Etsy search has been broken forever and this is not an attempt to fix it. The only thing Chad & Co. care about is how to better sell the phony Chinese crap that masquerades as vintage and handmade. The legitimate sellers of handmade and American vintage are getting ground into dust. The guys with the money don't care. They have to show a profit now that the stocks are in the the tank.

My guess is that this latest fiasco is going to make it harder for the genuine sellers to get found.

It's all about the Ali Baba stuff at this point. Do a search for any category and see how many thousands of items that cost less than $5.00. That's where it's at.

by: Owen This user has validated their user name.

Sat Jan 30 00:12:10 2016

All of a sudden this afternoon, my views went way up. I hope they are doing something helpful. When they changed their categories, it was dreadful, and in many cases, not logical. So search has to have been affected.

by: Volvo351 This user has validated their user name.

Sat Jan 30 08:44:11 2016

It would appear that Etsy learned NOTHING from The Hoe's despised Can'tSeeMe search engine!

by: Bloggo This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jan 31 19:53:47 2016

I just had my worst month ever, on Etsy. Whatever they are doing, or have done, hasn't worked in my favor.

This user has validated their user name. by: NiciArt

Tue Feb 2 23:53:07 2016

Kind of neutral really. January was disappointing, however V-Day sales have been very strong. Can't really tell if its search or just V-Day shopping. Too bad they won't dump the declumping. It seems like ever since the de-clumping we've been working harder for the same amount of business. No matter how frustrating, Etsy continues to produce some great business though

This user has validated their user name. by: Bijoux Dragon

Wed Feb 3 22:45:47 2016

Noticing team members who have always had more sales are doing extra well.  Slower shops are falling into the abyss.

This user has validated their user name. by: Siobhan

Thu Feb 4 22:55:16 2016

About this time last year they were tweaking the search algorithm and since then, my sales came to a screeching halt, after being on etsy since 2011 with steady, repeat customers. That's when I put my shop on a permanent vacation.

This user has validated their user name. by: NiciArt

Fri Feb 5 21:33:32 2016

Interesting observation from Betsy Bijoux. In looking the lower sales and views threads in the forums, there does seem to a pattern of lower volume and slower shops getting even slower while higher volume shops are getting a boost. We are usually busy for Valentine's Day, but the last to days have been abnormally high.

My question is why make changes right before a major selling holiday though? This couldn't wait until after V-Day?