Mon Sept 14 2015 22:31:25

Etsy to Help Handmade Sellers Team up with Manufacturers

It's one thing for Etsy to allow sellers to use some help in creating products for the handmade category - but soon, it will become a proactive part of the process. On Monday, Etsy announced a new initiative called the Manufacturing marketplace coming this fall.

Not surprisingly, the reaction from sellers was mixed, with some sellers passionately against the idea.

Some sellers said buyers would be unable to distinguish between handmade and items made with the help of manufacturers. And even if buyers could tell the difference, sellers didn't agree on whether it mattered to buyers.

One seller wrote, "I make each and every one of my wood letters myself which is time consuming, too. Other Etsy shops are selling letters they purchase wholesale and then paint or use expensive computer technology to make their letter quickly. But I don't consider either of those types my competition. We all have different items and different target customers."

But another seller replied, "Most buyers on Etsy could care less about handmade or hand designed and mass manufactured or even resold. They buy what they like and the more Etsy supports mass produced items the more competition these sellers are to those that are exclusively handmade. No doubt about it."

Another seller said the items creates with the help of manufacturers made it more difficult for other items to be found in Etsy search results.

You can read more about the announcement in Tuesday's Newsflash, along with information about Etsy CEO Chad Dickerson's presentation to Wall Street last week in which he said Etsy was not a craft marketplace.

Let us know what you think of the latest news.

Etsy to Help Handmade Sellers Team up with Manufacturers   Etsy to Help Handmade Sellers Team up with Manufacturers

by: Tiffee Jasso This user has validated their user name.

Tue Sep 15 01:09:40 2015

I am wondering if Etsy's partner manufacturers who remove "Made in China" labels off an item and then call the item "Made in Canada or US, is agreeable with Etsy? And even if it is, would that not be considered "representative fraud? Answers anyone?

by: sundance This user has validated their user name.

Tue Sep 15 06:49:31 2015

Sigh.  I don't like this at all.  So much for true artisans producing hand made/crafted goods. I no longer have my hand mades, yarns, supplies on there. Only my ePatterns and don't intend to renew.  They'll run out.  Then I will close my 2 shops more than likely.  I'm doing quite well elsewhere & business is picking up nicely.

by: Robin This user has validated their user name.

Tue Sep 15 08:42:46 2015

As Etsy veers farther and farther away from Handmade, to the point where Art has been demoted as a category, I'll be reporting on my experiences selling portrait paintings both at Etsy and at Handmade at Amazon on my blog.

First H@A good:  We have to actually photograph and show potential customers our studios.

by: JimJuris This user has validated their user name.

Tue Sep 15 09:50:12 2015

For those of you who make and sell handmade crafts I would like to recommend switching to HandmadeArtists.com

They don't have a listing fee or a final value fee, only a very small monthly fee.  The last time that I checked, that fee was only $5 per month.

Of course they don't get a lot of traffic, but nobody does.

I was a former seller on Handmade Artists.  The owner's of the site are very friendly and helpful to their sellers.

If you would rather have your own website, I recommend using IndieMade.com.  Like I said this is your own website and not a selling venue like Etsy.

I use to sell on their also, but it requires you to know what you are doing when it comes to SEO.

by: StayClassy This user has validated their user name.

Tue Sep 15 10:18:33 2015

Etsy is not a craft market. Finally a bit of honesty from Mr. Dickerson. He killed that notion , too bad for the sellers who still think that. When someone shows you who they are, as Chad is in this article, believe it. This is about data , gathering it , and using it to turn a profit. Etsy does not care about Artisans and Crafts people - they are a means to an end, Etsy Corp gathers, gleans, and garners from sellers & buyers, like stepping stones. The real value of Etsy to Mr Dickerson & Etsy Corp is data.
Etsy as a place for unique handmade goods is no more.

by: Susan Averello This user has validated their user name.

Tue Sep 15 10:50:16 2015

I'm not defending Etsy in the least, but I just like to see the source of info, it said to leave comments on this article http://www.ecommercebytes.com/cab/abn/y15/m09/i15/s03 here.
I just want to know the source who you got those comments. I just want some background. Too often things get into a flurry without the hard facts

This user has validated their user name. by: White Rabbit

Tue Sep 15 11:18:09 2015

source? -> Chad Dickerson's mouth

by: Toledo Maude This user has validated their user name.

Tue Sep 15 11:24:27 2015

For three years, I have been listing vintage items on Etsy.

Sales are less than eBay, but I like the low fees, minimal interference from management, and the seller friendly buyers. Especially, the seller friendly buyers.

The downside to Etsy for sellers of vintage items is the near nonexistence of Etsy promotions for vintage items.

Then a month ago, I was surprised to see Etsy promoting the same vintage items that I list.  More of a surprise was to find that the listings belonged to a very big dealer of vintage items on eBay.

I wondered what it took for Etsy to do to lure this large dealer to list on Etsy?

Sounds like the old saying is true on Etsy, ''Money talks and us little guys walk''.

by: JimJuris This user has validated their user name.

Tue Sep 15 11:46:43 2015

Etsy never has cared about their customers- their SELLERS, especially with Chad as the CEO.

Anyone that has read my Etsy and Artfire forum posts over the years may recall that I said you should never rely on any ONE selling venue such as Etsy and Artfire.

Both of these selling venues went to Haties and for those sellers who are only selling on those venues rather than also having a website as a backup selling platform now know why I made that statement.

If Etsy should decide to raise their fees for selling on that platform you are going to be stuck unless you have a backup of some kind such as Handmade Artists or you create your own website using Indie Made or maybe Shopify.

by: LightWing This user has validated their user name.

Tue Sep 15 13:43:16 2015

LOL! Love the comments here. If your shorts have ridden so high up your cracks find another or better yet START YOUR OWN site to host sellers on.

This is an interesting move by Etsy. It will help SOME SAMLL manufacturers SCALE UP their product offerings and volumes if they get larger orders than they can handle and help their business GROW.

by: booklover27 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Sep 15 13:53:34 2015

Anyone agreeing or allowing a marketplace to be involved in the purchase or ordering of products made by the manufacturer for the retailer or distributor is making a big mistake.  Your sources or your ideas will be stolen by these corporate low life managers.  Etsy is already morphing into a monopolistic, controlling and callous corporation with the greed pushing through the decisions...I wish I could run to main street and find a little honest book, toy, hardware, etc. store; where employees are happier and buyers are treated with respect.  No such place exists anymore...Shades of Ebay.

by: sundance This user has validated their user name.

Tue Sep 15 21:09:21 2015

I've been on Etsy since 2007. 8 years and it's been pretty profitable for me for the first 3-4 years with my handmades and such.  Then they started making internal changes. Sellers balked and they got chastised by Etsy.  Sales were practically non-existent for quite some time due to some crazy category organizing.  All my hand-mades & yarns are on other venues.  I get great  hits on my website and I direct folks to where they can purchase the items.  So that's working out well.  They can also buy directly from my site.

Yes, diversification is mandatory for crafting, or any sort of product line.  Blog. Get a website going.  Have links to your items in Yahoo Groups or Face Book Groups.  Tons of places online where you can advertise with minimal or no cost.

by: Robin This user has validated their user name.

Wed Sep 16 08:15:55 2015

Jim Juris, Handmade @ Amazon will have traffic, lol.

It's funny to see you recommending sites where you list and don't sell.

by: LeeLoo This user has validated their user name.

Tue Oct 20 05:15:06 2015

"It's really important to understand Etsy is not a craft marketplace," Etsy CEO Chad Dickerson told investors

And the grand finale:

"Our brand really stands for uniqueness, and that's why buyers come to Etsy."

Errr - say again. I've really missed something here.

by: LeeLoo This user has validated their user name.

Tue Oct 20 07:13:25 2015

And realised I missed another fab quote.

"We want the work of artisans and makers to be respected," Dickerson said.

Yep, uh huh Chad.