Thu July 23 2015 22:50:23

eBay to Hold 20th Anniversary Bash for Sellers

eBay's new CEO Devin Wenig seems nostalgic for the good old days of eBay and is reviving a conference for sellers, though the company isn't calling it eBay Live.

Instead, it's being positioned as a 20th anniversary celebration, which allows it to hold the special day without committing to holding it annually.

Amazon held a 20th anniversary bash this month, but it was a day of savings for customers rather than a conference for sellers. Today, Amazon's Chief Financial Officer told Wall Street analysts that July 15th Prime Day surpassed all expectations and called it "Christmas in July" for the company.

Wenig has made no secret of the fact he has many changes planned - but the best way to turn the seller bash into "Christmas in September" would be to roll back some of the changes he and his predecessor introduced. (September marks Wenig's 4-year anniversary at the company.)

eBay said attendees will be able to spend time with the eBay leadership team "and share your experiences and ideas." Do you plan on attending the eBay party in September? What will your message be for eBay leaders?

eBay to Hold 20th Anniversary Bash for Sellers   eBay to Hold 20th Anniversary Bash for Sellers

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Thu Jul 23 23:24:38 2015

No. Absolutely, positively no!

Pointless. Ebay management and specifically Wenig know exactly what changes ebay sellers need to remain viable or regain viability and known for quite some time.

They have refused to make any of the changes steadfastly believing that the failed policies of the last eight years will eventually succeed -- especially if they can devise new ways to steal more money from sellers and devise new pro seller abuse policies.

The current management team needs to prove NOW what changes they're willing to make.

If I had even the slightest inclination to attend, it might be worth the registration fee for the opportunity to tell Wenig exactly what ebay has done to my business and my opinion of its bloated structure and highly overpaid seller abusers like Brian Burke and Grief.

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Thu Jul 23 23:25:01 2015

And who would bother attending this "conference for sellers"?

Devin Little is probably a nice guy; but, boy, did that destructive, arrogant, narcissistic, criminal sociopath, Johnny Ho, throw him a “hospital pass”; and then, having collected a totally unearned “retention” payment of $23 million, the Ho then arranged to removed himself from the comatose eBay to “PreyPal”, along with most of eBay’s cash—talk about a bunch of gangsters …

Best of luck trying to save the eBay marketplace Devin, you are going to need it …

PYPL ~$37; EBAY ~$29; AMZN ~$567—LOL ...

The eBay executive suite—where the incompetent mingle with the disingenuous, the malevolent and the outright criminal, and the just plain stupid … http://bit.ly/11F2eas

This user has validated their user name. by: Bill

Thu Jul 23 23:39:32 2015

Do you know the way to San Jose?

No, no, no, no, no.

Because I can not afford to go since nothing is selling on eBay anymore!

This user has validated their user name. by: baconsdozen

Fri Jul 24 04:26:09 2015

Why on earth would anyone bother?. Ebay is just a shadow of its former self.The only sensible use for it is as a way of contacting sellers to see what reduction they will offer for sales outside of ebay. It's a dead duck for anything else.

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Fri Jul 24 05:49:48 2015

Are they kidding ?

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Fri Jul 24 06:56:57 2015

I am happy that Wenig is at least making the effort, and I try to stay positive (although God knows when it comes to eBay that is impossible), but eBay always seem to say one thing and do exactly the opposite.  He needs to be prepared to get an ear full, that's for sure, that is, if he makes himself accessible.

To Ming's point, Burke and Griff are two of the poster childs of what I feel are wrong with the company. I feel that Griff lost his credibility and usefulness long ago and he needs to go.

I'm thinking that the reason that they have not committed to this yearly, is that if this one is a disaster, they want do another.

If he wants to succeed as CEO, he needs go into damage control mode and roll-back John Donahoe's "disruptive innovation".  He also needs to actually SHOW small sellers that he means what he said when he stated that he will reconnect with them.  Reconnecting is more than having an anniversary bash.  (Getting rid of Cassini,going back to time-ending-soonest search as default, doing away with selling limits, doing away with DSRs and Defects, ending China's control on eBay Marketplaces, etc.)

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Fri Jul 24 06:58:58 2015

I meant if this one is a disaster they WON'T do another.

Hope there will be YouTube videos.  I'm ready for some deer in headlight moments from Senior Management.

by: Orwellwasright This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jul 24 07:03:05 2015

Nothing has changed

These are all the same people who made fortunes destroying the business of uncounted thousands of small sellers,

Why stop now?

AS MING ACCURATELLY STATED MANAGEMENT KNOWS PERFECTLY WELL WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE.
But Investing in site architecture , advertising, and brand rebuilding would take money and time.

Rebuilding their relationship with the their battered, berated and hogtied sellers would mean relinquishing some control which they will never do.

If anything management seems quite pleased with the current state of affairs as exhibited by recent announcements of yet another metric which will doubtless be used against sellers (the did item arrive on time question) and an enhancement to the despised defect system

If ebay wants to rebuild seller trust and rebuild buyer traffic here are five immediate steps they could take

1) Eliminate in its entirety the defect system , it is unnecessary, sloppily implemented and was designed solely to eliminate seller discounts and the sellers themselves

2) Institute a FAIR dispute resolution center, stop the wholesale theft by buyers , stop paying off every complaint , have a trained resolution staff who will represent sellers as well as buyers.

3) devise and Implement an actual marketing strategy , Stop hoarding cash and use some of it on ADVERTISING as opposed to management bonus packages

4) Have an actual seller support center as opposed to minimum wage script readers. If a seller has received unfair or unjustified feedback, been suspended or terminated, or have any serious issues trained staff should be ACTUALLY BE ABLE TO HELP THEM.

5) Do something about the pervasive and apparent anti seller mentality that has poisoned upper management. Try looking at the vast majority of sellers as your business partners, not dishonest annoyances that must be controlled kept in perpetual fear of losing their business

This user has validated their user name. by: Anonymous Annie

Fri Jul 24 08:04:58 2015

I have a feeling that eBay execs will regret this. I think it's likely that the ''noisy'' (remaining) sellers will be incentive for Wenig to not repeat such an event until the 25th or 30th anniversary of eBay.

Although it's being billed as a celebratory type of event, it's difficult for me to imagine that anyone who attends would be in that type of mood. (And that very same mood among sellers probably was part of the motivation that JD wasn't interested in continuing the gatherings.)

OMG... I just realized what I wrote there.

HA! Silly me!!! --- WHAT WAS I THINKING?!!

TWENTY-FIFTH?!! THIRTIETH?!!

by: brokentoys19 This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jul 24 09:55:53 2015

Things could get interesting at this ebay event, now that they've positioned themselves as some sort of ecommerce social justice warriors by doing things like banning flags while leaving other horrible items for sale on their site.

Not to mention having a great many very suspicious and controversial "charities" on the givingworks roster.

One example indicated: planned parenthood (sellers of aborted fetus parts caught dead in the rights--  see the undercover videos on youtube)

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Fri Jul 24 10:20:02 2015

"We accept all major credit cards: AMEX, Visa, MasterCard, and Discover."

Because eBay knows if they accept PayPal, all attendees will have 180 days to file a SNAD claim.

by: gizmo This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jul 24 11:11:26 2015

Why would anyone waste their time. I know its funded with the theft of sellers , rude way to get free info , they are not capable of themselves. I trust ebay not , will not waste my time with the losers of ecommerce.

Stop wasting time idiots , you know the issues. Come read these blogs , you want to know what your customers think of you , come here & read. You execs. can read  , right? The way they run this ghost town , really makes me wonder.

They dont want PP users there , that would be the wrong crowd they dont want. This will be spun as a success , loaded by people they want there. Another circle jerk by the deadbay execs.
Hey EBAY , YOU SUCK !!

Does this bash come with your own bat & ball? Their desperation is speaking loud & clear.

I have been having my own bash. A couple years back , I bought out a guy with t-shirt press & 100,000 t shirts. I print & give my prime customers a bash ebay t shirt for free. People love them. I see them all over. Nothing better than bad PR to jerks who deserve it. Really bad sentiment , is everywhere out there. Deadbay is going to get their share. Ill do my part to direct people away from deadbay.
A much deserved detour.

This user has validated their user name. by: Basset

Fri Jul 24 11:29:11 2015

Good call, iheartjacksparrow! LOL!

''Bash''- Aside from ''party'' dictionaries  ALSO define as:

''Strike hard and violently'' - Verb
''A heavy blow'' - Noun

If anyone going, better make sure how they are defining ''Bash'' for the occasion.

by: froggie This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jul 24 11:58:04 2015

In Which We Bid JD Adieu and Give a Most Hearty Welcome to Wenig

JD, in a hot air balloon, realized he was lost in a barren wasteland. Against his better judgement, he reduced altitude slightly and spotted a lone bi-ped walking in the vast wasteland below. With some trepidation, he descended a bit more and called out,

''Hey! Hey you!? I promised I'd be at a board meeting an hour ago, but I don't know where I am. Which way do I go?''

The bi-ped below slowly stopped walking, looked around, then up and replied, ''You're in a hot air balloon hovering approximately 30 feet above the ground at coordinates 36.2469° N, 116.8169° W.''

JD replied, ''That makes no sense. I must not be able to hear you. Speak up!''

The bi-ped then said, ''Well, lower yourself down a bit so you can hear me.''

With his balloon rising into the air about 5 feet, JD replied, ''I still can't hear you! You are not making sense!''

The bi-ped yelled out, ''I can't come up there but if you descend a bit, you'll be able to hear me.''

JD replied again, ''I can't make sense of what you are saying to me. You're just noise! Frustrating! Are you an ebay seller?''

''I am'', yelled the seller. ''How did you know?''

''Well,'' answered JD, ''everything you're saying in unintelligible to me, and the fact is I'm still lost. And you're down there yelling at me. Frankly, you've been no help at all. If anything, you're disruptive and you've delayed my trip.''

The ebay seller below sighed and then responded, ''You must be John Donahoe.''

''I am'', replied JD, ''How did you know?''

''Well,'' said the seller, ''you don't know where you are or where you're going. You have risen to where you are due to a large quantity of hot air. You made promises which you can't keep, and you expect people beneath you to solve your problems. The fact is you are in exactly the same position you were in before we met, but now, somehow, your failure is my fault.''

JD yelled back, ''Don't yell at me!!'' Then, after a pause, JD said, ''There is one thing you forgot to mention. I am up here being paid while watching you fail. Now, do something useful and tell me which way do I go?''

The seller yelled as loudly as possible, ''South. As far south as you can go. You'll know you've arrived when the sun don't shine.''

In the split second it took for JD's eyebrows to raise and his mouth to open in reply, a cold Icahn zephyr blew out of the north and away went JD on a dervish-like ride into the clouds, repeating the single word, ''Noise'', over and over again. The last thing the seller on the ground saw and heard before JD was swallowed up by the clouds (with arms flailing and hands flapping) was, ''I need a thinking daaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyy!''

On the rise of the zephyr, the seller on the ground then noticed another hot air balloon on the horizon. The balloon had a large ''W'' on it and quickly approached the seller. A faint squeaking sound was heard on the wind as the balloon descended over the terrain.

The sound was that of a man peeking timidly over the side of the basket of the balloon saying, ''Hey, hey you down there. We need to talk.''

The seller on the ground raised an eyebrow, sighed and continued walking.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jul 24 12:31:46 2015

AHAHAHAHAHA .... did you notice they are CHARGING YOU to show up?

Sure (not that I was invited, since Im enemy #1) I will GLADLY pay $350 in airflight and rental car, so eBay can charge me an entrance fee and offer me crappy food, crappy advice and then tell me how LUCKY I AM that I get to sell on eBay (you too can become an EBAY MILLIONAIRE!!!!).

Who exactly will be there? WIll the MIGHTY SELLER ADVOCATE GOOD GRIEF be there? Will he appologize for the thefts Ive been experiencing?

LOL, you cant even pay for the event with PAYPAL! (even eBay knows they are crooks!?)

Another stupid scam, by even more stupid people....

by: sasikat9 This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jul 24 12:37:04 2015

Save your money folks.  You will be able to read all about it here....

by: brokentoys19 This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jul 24 13:19:31 2015

what are the odds it gets hijacked, like the weakly chats have been lately? lmao Is ebay gonna get it's feet held to the fire!

Get your spy cameras now, ebay will most likely try to keep any embarrassing videos off the yootoobs.

You can't just sell millions of people the Bill of Goods for years, while lying through your teeth about it and not facing some serious wrath.

Not only that, but there's a mountain of empiracal data showing ebay's deeds. Would make a great powerpoint presentation. Ha!

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Fri Jul 24 13:26:11 2015

pace306, charging for the "party" will ensure that it is enterprise attendees only. They can't have the great unwashed flea market riff raff attending.  I hope at least one attendee breaks management down like a common denominator.

by: ajeweler This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jul 24 14:08:42 2015

"eBay said attendees will be able to spend time with the eBay leadership team "and share your experiences and ideas."

ok right share ideas??? leadership team???
the one streaming freebay into the iceberg yea I want to be in that ship for sure

NO I Will NOT be ATTENDING anything even for free from freebay (it may later show in my monthly billing as SNAD)

This is a DEFECT on Freebay

now use that party money from sellers and use it to spend it on advertising program to increase sales for the people not party favors

as a business with no sign is a sign of no business

toolbuy you going?

by: COH This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jul 24 14:31:48 2015

How come none of you tweet to Devin?  I was just over there.  He'll see your tweets, because not many people tweet him.  Tell HIM how you feel DIRECTLY!  https://twitter.com/devinwenig

1 2 3 4  [Next Page]