Wed July 15 2015 12:20:57

Glitches Add to Disappointment of Amazon Walmart Deal Day

The biggest shopping day of the summer is turning into a letdown for shoppers and an embarrassment for retail giants, particularly Amazon.com which kicked off Prime Day today, and Walmart, which had responded with sales of its own this week. Disappointment with offers and technical problems marred what was supposed to be "Black Friday in July."

Shoppers turned to social media sites like Twitter to express their disappointment with Amazon Prime Day deals. The Washington Post, which is owned by Amazon.com founder and CEO Jeff Bezos, documented some of the complaints about the #PrimeDay sale.

Amazon responded to the Post with a statement: "We have years of experience with these types of events and we stagger the deals to make sure the fun will last through tonight."

It seems the only deals some shoppers were interested in got snapped up before they even got to their computers. Others said they stayed up late only to find nothing worth buying.

Amazon had a special offer in which shoppers that purchased a 3-pack of gift cards would receive a $10 credit, but those quickly expired before mid-morning.

The disappointment was compounded by technical problems that began sometime after 9:30 am eastern for Amazon.com

Referring to Amazon's web-hosting business, a shopper wrote on Down Detector, "If this is indicative of AWS I think they are losing some business today...can't even keep their own site up and running on their own celebration day!"

Shoppers also had problems accessing Walmart.

We've got inquiries into both companies about the technical issues.

Update: DownDetector indicates both sites experienced some issues but appear to be fixed now.

Update: An Amazon spokesperson provided us with the following statement shortly before 2 pm EST:

"Prime Day peak order rates have already surpassed 2014 Black Friday. Prime members have bought tens of thousands of Fire TV Sticks, 35,000 Lord of the Rings Blu-Ray sets, 28,000 Rubbermaid sets, and 4,000 Echos in 15 minutes. The Kate Spade purse was gone in less than a minute. The 1.2K of $999 TVs sold out in less than 10 minutes and there are thousands more deals coming. New deals start every ten minutes until late tonight."

Glitches Add to Disappointment of Amazon Walmart Deal Day   Glitches Add to Disappointment of Amazon Walmart Deal Day

by: sasikat9 This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jul 15 14:35:01 2015

It appears its business as usual at Ebay.  Yep no buyers, business at usual.

This user has validated their user name. by: bitbybit

Wed Jul 15 14:43:42 2015

Found both Amazon and Walmart disappointing. Not a prime member but might have joined if I saw something of interest. Were the deals displayed only to those who joined first? Walmart's Deal Day was a mishmash of rollback, new, refurbished sporadic mess. Drilling down helped a little but gave up. The only item I did find was out of stock.

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Wed Jul 15 14:50:31 2015

"Meanwhile, it appeared to be business as usual for eBay, with no noticeable response to Prime Day."

So, what's new at eBay? EBAYV $26; AMZN $462 ...

The eBay executive suite—where the incompetent mingle with the disingenuous, the malevolent and the outright criminal, and the just plain stupid … http://bit.ly/11F2eas

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Wed Jul 15 15:12:29 2015

I guess you have to hand it to Amazon and Walmart for at least trying to drum up some business.

Crickets at eBay...and no efforts whatsoever to drum up business.  Seems like all of their efforts go into flogging their sellers.

by: Writings on the Wall This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jul 15 15:15:52 2015

Amazon tries to horn in on everyone else's business.  the business model is to copy everyone else, undercut the price, and force them out of business. Is that what we want?????

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jul 15 16:18:51 2015

Sasi :)

eBay's "doing something" would have possibly entailed spending some of "their own cash" and that as we ALL know is something eBay will never do.

While every deal site I subscribe told me how bad the Amazon Day was - at least I saw no less then 30 adverts on various cable channels.

Thats REAL money aka an investment. SUre it mostly Fire Sticks and other crap, but they were at least interested in TRYING - which is more then anyone can say over at eBay.

Today (with no business) will be like yesterday and tomorrow.

eBays seller update days are in actuality "Seller theft days", so maybe its better we let eBay sleep peacefully ... lest the moronic BMAs over in San Jose release YET another update that steals MORE from their sellers.

This user has validated their user name. by: bitbybit

Wed Jul 15 18:58:44 2015

Ebays lack of advertising and well, spending something, anything, to bring buyers to the site reminds me of Janet Jackson's song ''What have you done for me lately?''. Lately applies to all the years since 2007 when Donahoe came to fleece and strip eBay of all assets for his own financial gain along with his other partners in crime.

Even though I didn't find anything on Amazon today, just promoting and keeping the Amazon name out there had to have paid off big time.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Wed Jul 15 23:39:08 2015

I was just watching the local news when they ran a story about the disappointing Amazon Prime day, and I realized I totally forgot today was the day. Since I wouldn't have bought a Lord of the Rings Blu-Ray set, a Kate Spade purse, or a Rubbermaid set, I guess I didn't miss much.

by: WhoKnewIt This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 16 10:50:47 2015

The "offerings" at Amazon looked like they were cleaning out the warehouse....junk.  Very disappointed....

by: Steevo This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 16 11:41:45 2015

I am a prime member, maybe only for this one year and never again.

I looked at the primeday deals and I didn't see anything at all that I wanted.  $10 off something that is $40?  Well, OK, if you want that, but that is not nearly enough to get me to buy something optional.

As far as I can tell, it was a waste of time.

I looked at Walmart too. I bought nothing yesterday.

by: Moonwishes This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 16 11:42:25 2015

I'm not a Prime member, so I would have wanted to know about the 'big' deals ahead of time before signing up to get them. Since I'm not and had no idea what was to be on sale and I don't really need much anyhow, it was a non-starter for me. I did get sales from Amazon, perhaps because those who didn't get any deals went looking for the other stuff that they needed/wanted. Big sales never impress me anyhow since it is usually stuff I'm not in the market for.

by: Mimi This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 16 11:47:07 2015

I also found the Prime day a big dud. Didn't find one thing I needed or wanted . I use Amazon a lot, but this was a total fail. Walmart wasn't any better.

This user has validated their user name. by: Tula

Thu Jul 16 12:56:02 2015

I shopped on Amazon yesterday, since I was planning to buy a few things there, anyway. I saw a number of interesting deals, but they were mostly just for Prime members. They seem to be adding more and more exclusive items and discounts only for Prime members. I'm tracking them and if the amount I would save meets or exceeds the Prime membership cost, then I'll sign up. Otherwise, it's just not worth the cost. I'm not so impatient that I need to get my stuff in 2 days.

I actually think this shopping day is a great idea. Summer tends to be a slower selling period, so anything that will draw in buyers is a good thing. I didn't experience any problems on either the Amazon or Walmart sites. The only issue I had was that one item in my shopping cart went out of stock before I checked out. That was rather annoying, but fortunately, it wasn't anything I needed right away.

One interesting thing to note is that I've had a spike in sales on Amazon, Etsy, and Ebay during the last couple of weeks. End of quarter visibility boost to pump up their numbers, perhaps?

by: tmooreseller This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 16 14:02:04 2015

It looks like Amazon is trying to be the next Costco. Maybe it should announce that it's just a warehouse wholesaler and be done with it. It's site glitches a lot, which is why I don't post ebooks. What's the point?

by: IndyTom This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 16 17:04:04 2015

I waited about 2 weeks for Amazon Prime day, had a long list of things I wanted to check on, then......pffffft. What a dud.

Thanks for trying Amazon.  Next time go for more consumer electronics and cut down on the 55 gallon containter of lubricant.

by: whipnet This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 16 20:59:38 2015

For a company that has never made any profit, Amazon amazes me.

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Thu Jul 16 23:20:08 2015

@whipnet,

For a company that has never paid its shareholders a cash dividend, eBay amazes me ...

by: DonC This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 20 02:14:05 2015

I spent about an hour checking out Amazon and Walmarts' sales.Unfortunately all I found was a weird selection of junk that had apparently been lost in a dark corner of the warehouse for a few years.

Thanks for trying but next time list something worth buying.