Wed Nov 18 2015 10:20:12

Martha Stewart Handmade Dumps eBay for Amazon

Amazon's store for handmade goods which launched last month is now welcoming Martha Stewart - but it's not what you might think. The items are not made by Martha Stewart or her company. Rather, they are items from local artisans personally selected by Martha Stewart and the editors of Martha Stewart Living.

Two years ago, eBay made a similar announcement, welcoming Martha Stewart American Handmade's eBay shop.

But the New York Times reported today that Martha Stewart decided to drop eBay in favor of Amazon, quoting her as saying of Amazon, "It's a much bigger audience. It's the powerhouse retailer online in the United States.”

"It is a particularly inopportune time for eBay," the Times wrote, referring to its drawn-out proxy fight with shareholders and its breakup with PayPal. "Investors have long been bullish on the future of PayPal, but are less certain of the fate of an independent eBay, which faces formidable e-commerce competitors like Amazon and, to a lesser extent, Google."

eBay told the newspaper that hundreds of sellers who had sold on American Made continued to operate their storefronts on eBay. "eBay continues to sell more than a half-billion dollars of handmade items and related craft supplies annually."

The Times barely mentioned Etsy, but wrote, "Handmade at Amazon remains dwarfed by Etsy, which lists about 36 million craft items for sale from 1.5 million active sellers." Amazon revealed in today's announcement that Handmade at Amazon now features over 200,000 items from 10,000 approved artisans.

But many Etsy sellers who venture over to Amazon don't necessarily see it as an either-or proposition. In fact, some have already had success selling on Amazon before the launch of the Handmade store.

You can find the Martha Stewart American Handmade shop on this page - let us know what you think!

Martha Stewart Handmade Dumps eBay for Amazon   Martha Stewart Handmade Dumps eBay for Amazon

This user has validated their user name. by: eXtinctBay

Wed Nov 18 11:11:52 2015

This may have to do with eBay's forced use of PayPal (and their 6 month return policy).

Not to mention the recently announced zero support by the Bay to thwart fraudulent buying activity.

Ms. Stewart will also find Amazon is not perfect as well. Wait until her artisan sellers get ''Where's My Stuff'' claims from buyers who recieve merchandise, claim it never was delivered, and obtain A to Z refunds.

One would think, with her brand and name recognition, that Martha would just start her own website. And not have to pay high fees to these online selling sites that let fraud run amok.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Wed Nov 18 11:25:19 2015

Isn't she a CONVICTED FELON?

Insider trading, eBay should be glad she left.

There's enough crooks on eBay!

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Wed Nov 18 11:36:02 2015

eBay may have no choice BUT to re-engage with small sellers.   LOL

by: sasikat9 This user has validated their user name.

Wed Nov 18 13:11:37 2015

Not impressed...Overrated and over charging.

by: LightWing This user has validated their user name.

Wed Nov 18 13:50:04 2015

I try very hard to not buy anything from convicted felons

by: comments This user has validated their user name.

Wed Nov 18 13:50:45 2015

If ebay wants to grow all it has to do is give sellers back the ability to run our own businesses. We will use our time fight to aggressively grow, which will in turn help ebay to grow. Instead of spending time chasing postal workers for package scans I could be doing something much more productive. I am a platinum powerseller with 100% positive FB and every DSR on 5.0. I know what I am doing and how to run a successful business. The only thing that stunts my growth is ebay.

by: Bloggo This user has validated their user name.

Wed Nov 18 13:54:31 2015

-wrong/

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Wed Nov 18 14:14:35 2015

@toolguy

What the heck?  What kind of comment is that?  What does that have to do with anything?  We all can't be perfect.

I'm a member of the human race.  As a member I have certainly made some mistakes in my life.  The old saying live and learn comes to mind.  It isn't my mistakes that define who I am but what I did in the aftermath that does.

FYI Martha Stewart was NOT convicted of insider trading.  They couldn't make a case against her for that.  Not enough evidence in other words.  She was convicted of lying to Federal Agents and obstruction of justice.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Wed Nov 18 14:29:56 2015

Thank you for that Marie. True fact.  What's that saying, "let he is without sin......"?

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Wed Nov 18 14:36:57 2015

...and one more thing.  While I am not big fan of Martha, this was likely a business decision based on profits.  If sales were poor (wouldn't that be a big surprise....no) her company likely pulled the plug on eBay for that reason and that reason alone.  I find it hard to believe if sales were brisk they'd have left.  If other enterprise businesses follow we will all know that sales are as dismal for the enterprise sellers as they are for the small sellers, except for Tool, that is.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Wed Nov 18 16:06:16 2015

@toolguy - Are you positive that you've never purchased anything from a "convicted felon"? Because most felons don't get the media coverage that Martha, or any other celebrities, received. If she was Martha Stewart, sales clerk at Wal-Mart, you wouldn't know a thing about her life.

by: maxmad This user has validated their user name.

Wed Nov 18 16:39:28 2015

I believe she sold her brand just recently, she is not even in control of it anymore, and who ever is has probably made the right choice, "ebay" is a bad word for most companies, it only cheapens your products

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Wed Nov 18 17:31:01 2015

@maxmad

You are correct, she did.  However she still has lots to do with the brand.

ewart-living-sold-to-sequential-brands-group/29105051/

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Wed Nov 18 23:10:14 2015

Personally, I dont care what Martha did, supposedly did, or didnt do - Im not her boss, her husband, her business partner ..... I'll "go with Marie on this one" :)

BESIDES - the POINT OF THE ARTICLE isnt what Martha did or didnt do anyway - its about ANOTHER BIG ACCOUNT fleeing eBay.

We all (I know I said it and I believe RIC and MING as well)(Im sure others so if I left anyones name out plz forgive me) .... ALL the big accounts will "use eBay up" then walk out on them.

After doing them favor after favor, after letting the big brands break or bend the rules - in the end .... they will all turn their backs on eBay.

Despite TOOLs best assertions, eBay is run like a candy store. Its run by children who take their anger out on sellers and even sometimes buyers.

Even Icahn had enough (yes he was really only interested in Paypal anyway, but still).

DW's speach about Longtail and "reaching out to smaller sellers" .... he better stop talking and start doing .... or more big names will follow.

When you log onto eBay it asks you about your opinion on the redesign of the longon page. "Geez DUDES ... get a life and concentrate on something IMPORTANT and not that crap".

If I could dump eBay I would too, I just cant - so I split my inventory and starting Jan 2016 will convert it to a feed, use it with Seller Cloud to get into EVERY marketplace they represent and put eBay in the rear view mirror.

Seller Cloud does:

Pricefalls
Wish
Woot!
Target
Choxi

... eBay WHO?

by: OnlyPollyPocket This user has validated their user name.

Wed Nov 18 23:56:14 2015

What LightWing said

by: donald This user has validated their user name.

Thu Nov 19 00:26:23 2015

Stewart as saying of Amazon, ''It's a much bigger audience. It's the powerhouse retailer online in the United States.”

ebay's bott must be hurting after they heard that one. They need to thank JD..

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Thu Nov 19 01:50:23 2015

@ Marie

"obstruction of justice."

Sounds like a felony to me!

Do I want to buy things from someone who "Obstructs Justice"?

This user has validated their user name. by: White Rabbit

Thu Nov 19 06:30:25 2015

I am not a great fan of Amazon or AH but..
This really is a very big deal on many levels. A lot of people love Martha and see her as a very positive American icon. I think she is just fine. I will not condemn her in any way. I think she is pretty nice.

This actually says a lot about Amazon and Amazon Handmade. I assume that this is a nice feather in their cap and indicates to me that Amazon is not closing AH anytime soon.

I also want to note, Etsy the largest handmade site and major chinese imported factory goods Junk site is not where she is moving to. so not good PR for Etsy, great PR for Amazon for adding a celebratory Figure like Martha to Amazon Handmade.

This user has validated their user name. by: FEEbay

Thu Nov 19 06:55:05 2015

@ pace306
You are on the right track, but how about your OWN site??

This user has validated their user name. by: FEEbay

Thu Nov 19 06:58:52 2015

@ eXtinctBay
I agree that this is the likely cause, amongst many other Ebay/Paypal policies.
I know of a MAJOR Musical Instrument company who pulled the plug on Ebay a few months ago for these very same reasons.... DW, Sweetbutt and Brian Burke need to pull their heads out, and quickly, or it will be all over in 2016 for Ebay....