Mon Nov 2 2015 23:00:05

Amazon Opens Brick-and-Mortar Bookstore This Week

Amazon is opening a brick-and-mortar bookstore in its hometown of Seattle - the doors to the new shop will open on Tuesday morning at 9:30, according to the Seattle Times.

"The store, called Amazon Books, looks a lot like bookstores that populate malls across the country. Its wood shelves are stocked with 5,000 to 6,000 titles, best-sellers as well as Amazon.com customer favorites."

Some of the things that make the store different from other bookstores, according to the newspaper:

- It will use data to pick titles that will most appeal to Seattle shoppers.

- Below each book on the shelf is a card with either a review or a rating from the site.

- Every book will be facing out, rather than stacked tightly with only their spines showing.

The store has 5,500 square feet of retail space and 2,000 square feet of storage, and Amazon will charge the same price for books in the store as it does online.

Geekwire published the fulltext of the letter the ecommerce giant sent to Seattle customers announcing the new store.

In it, it revealed that shoppers can also test-drive Amazon devices including the Kindle, Echo, Fire TV, and Fire Tablet. The store is located at 4601 26th Ave. NE in University Village and will be open Monday through Saturday from 9:30 am to 9:00 pm and on Sundays from 11:00 am to 6:00 pm.

Would you shop at an Amazon bookstore? And do you think it's likely to expand the concept geographically and/or by product category?

Amazon Opens Brick-and-Mortar Bookstore This Week   Amazon Opens Brick-and-Mortar Bookstore This Week

This user has validated their user name. by: Basset

Tue Nov 3 11:37:41 2015

LOL, I was reading the article carefully to see if Amazon would sell USED books there.

Nothing like a good book. The physical kind. Preferably used.

I have books on mobile devices -  OK - but I prefer good old paper pages as I find it easier on my eyes.

Don't visit bookstores much anymore - Just wait for the used book I want to show up online.  Like an author?  Buy their books by the lot and read in publication order if they have recurring plot or characters.

Used magazines are also great - don't care if I have the latest issue.  Buy those by the lot, too - sellers can ship several mags Priority Flat rate quite easily.  Remember, most magazines cannot go media due to advertising.

Done with? - re-sell or donate.

by: TomH This user has validated their user name.

Tue Nov 3 22:01:28 2015

@ Basset
'' Like an author?  Buy their books by the lot and read in publication order if they have recurring plot or characters. ''

Me too. I have 8 or nine bookcase shelves filled with series books.. Love them all.

by: mendocinobooks This user has validated their user name.

Wed Nov 4 01:09:48 2015

Amazon is wiling to try anything but doing things ethically and treating sellers ethically. I have sold with them for 7 years.  everything is automated with a Magic 8 Ball that gives goofy answers.   Sellers can't talk to anybody who can do anything.  They have long ago poisoned their heritage as booksellers...

by: BargainzBabylon This user has validated their user name.

Wed Nov 4 02:13:23 2015

In Seattle the news rated a great big yawn. We're a city of readers and we have our own bookshops - unless Amazon brings something new to the table, we've already got it.

by: Bloggo This user has validated their user name.

Wed Nov 4 02:23:19 2015

With all the additional overhead of a brick and mortar store, Amazon will lose more money than they usually do.

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Wed Nov 4 08:19:43 2015

This happens AFTER AMZ puts all the legit bookstores and mom&pop bookstores out of business.  Funny?

This user has validated their user name. by: IDKwhoIare

Wed Nov 4 09:16:58 2015

I will buy books where I can find what I want (older & newer) at the best price. Like others, I tend to want to read by author and if I want an older book it is usually not in a big name B&M.  If an Amazon B&M met the need at the moment, I would buy there.

I usually find what I am looking for through a marketplace seller online and I doubt that will change.

by: FREDDY This user has validated their user name.

Wed Nov 4 09:51:50 2015

Is the return policy the same as online???

Must be all new books.  Used books go for a penny. Doubt that will happen.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Wed Nov 4 13:21:19 2015

Here's a fact most of you won't believe

OK, maybe you will

I'm 56 years old and have only read 1 book in my entire life. This excludes text books, manuals, magazines and newspapers.

It was back in 1972 and the book was: The Outsiders

It was a good story and I really enjoyed it, don't know why I never read another book. I guess I just didn't have the spare time to waste and watched TV instead ~ LOL

PS: Is War & Peace a good book?

by: BargainzBabylon This user has validated their user name.

Thu Nov 5 01:49:06 2015

If you get the hardbound version, don't drop it on your foot.