Sun Aug 25 2013 16:37:47

EBay Store Redesign Rumors - What Would You Change?

By: Julia Wilkinson

On some boards, there is recent talk of a new and different-looking eBay Storefront, and some sellers reported getting surveys about changes that may come to Stores. It's been a while since eBay updated its store design; do you think it's time for a change, and if so, what changes do you think should be made?

One thing I'd like to see changed from the seller management side: move the tiny, buried link to "Seller, manage store" to a more prominent location, please!

The stores could do with looking a little more snazzy; I think. One seller commented they thought other marketplaces had better-looking storefronts; I think Etsy is one example. With the bold and large seller customizable logo, the store has a lot of personality. So a little bigger logo, and maybe one that sellers could pick from some default colorful themes and fonts for a no-cost custom logo? I had a custom logo for my eBay Store done long ago, but I wonder if newbie store owners would like a nice-looking logo without having to invest up-front in a design.

Etsy also has a graphic for the "store owner"; I think an optional one of these (which could be a cartoon avatar, photo of a product, or photo of the owner) would make a lot of sense and add personality to a user's store, possibly making a shopper feel more connected to the person behind the curtain. I know I like to see and read about the various shop owners on Etsy and their personal stories of how they go into doing what they do.

How about you? What changes would you like to see made to eBay Stores? Are there changes that could be made that might be effective in boosting store sales? Are you one of the select sellers who received a survey about a new eBay Store design? Post a comment here!

EBay Store Redesign Rumors - What Would You Change?   EBay Store Redesign Rumors - What Would You Change?

This user has validated their user name. by: Ina

Sun Aug 25 17:17:07 2013

The suggestions you make sound like the approach Rakuten is taking - playing up the sellers. Seems eBay has the opposite approach with its "retail-like" focus.

It's certainly a strange time of year to be tweaking Store designs as the shopping season gears up.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Sun Aug 25 18:21:05 2013

While I think a store front update is a good idea, I thing both buyers and sellers need a break from these constant changes.  There just seems to be no end to them.  You get use to something, Ebay takes it away and changes it again.  You get use to that.  Ebay takes it away and changes it yet again.  And it just keeps going like this.

Personally I'd like to see Ebay spend it's technical labor getting the site more stable with the way it is now.  There are many problems on the site, some small and some not.  Why not get it running smoothly for the holiday season and then discuss more changes for next year.

Right now they have invoicing all screwed up and apparently it is by design according to the CSR I spoke with.  Ebay apparently feels we have no need to send reminder invoices or uncombined an invoice so we can add newer purchases to it or fix a S&H charge.  And buyers that request an invoice copy really doesn't need those either.  This must be how Ebay feels since they recently took those functions away.

Did they not learn from last year?  Throwing serious changes in for the holiday season slows everything down.  It costs sellers money and it costs Ebay money.

Leave us alone for awhile and let us concentrate on just doing our job.  PLEASE just give us a break.

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Sun Aug 25 19:42:39 2013

"What Would You Change?" ....

Why, John Donahoe, of course ...

“We’ve had the disruption, now we’re having to disrupt the disruption.”—John Donahoe (2007)...
And, six years later, what has been the result ... http://bit.ly/YvxFEg

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Sun Aug 25 22:11:07 2013

Why on earth are they ALWAYS changing for the sake of change?  Nothing that they do increases our bottom line. In fact, every change that they have made this year has hurt our business.

I'd be on board with any changes if they affected our bottom line positively, but they never do.  We always adapted, but it is getting tiring.

We are loving building our own website.  I feel like we are in control of our e-commerce destiny for a change.

by: blaumann2 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 26 00:37:57 2013

Change back to no FVF on shipping.

by: mindelec This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 26 01:30:42 2013

changing the store design won't fix the search....  sales are down 60% from last august.

by: FREDDY This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 26 01:48:31 2013

They must feel that making changes justify the salaries???? After all, they have to do something.
ebay is just so ridiculous now - not even worth commenting on anymore.

by: Tiffee Jasso This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 26 04:40:21 2013

The remodeling of Stores should be on the back burner when compared to the real problem that sellers are facing today and have been dealing with for the past year or so. I would like to see Ebay fix its Search Engine to work in a widestream mode for all sellers and and not the narrow minded stream of a what ever wayward juvenile programmer that currently has control over it.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Mon Aug 26 07:11:39 2013

Mindelec is right. Who wants to sell there due to the new "cant-see-me" search. Sellers are leaving in droves, and I've been hearing eBay radio ads where I live and the ads are trying to attract new sellers to eBay.   If a seasoned seller who knows the drill can't make it on eBay due to that awful Cassini search and the flawed DSR system, and now the mysterious and secretive Guardrail system, how can a newbie be a success?

The management at eBay have totally ruined this company, but what do they care, they still earn outrageous amounts in compensation.

Search is more broken than it has ever been.  Based on the way the search operates, the cheap crap rises to the top.  All interesting unusual items fall to the bottom.

by: redheadedlady This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 26 08:41:59 2013

I do not care about the store front, I care about the sales and mine are way down from last year.  Also, they took away the side bar on my site so people can't go look at other things by clicking.  Their fees are still outrageous as well.  And as to the DSR's - they just need to go away.  What about the companies that sell?? They don't have it, so why should individuals have it.  Also, if people don't pay, let the seller leave a negative comment about non payment.  People need to know this.  Do you really think sellers have time to go in and read positive comments stating they didn't pay - NOT!!  Get real ebay!

by: Cyclestripper This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 26 08:43:44 2013

Geez; it works now; LEAVE IT ALONE.

First question to ask before changing something. WHY?

If the answer is to make it LOOK better or "more appealing" the question should be TO WHO?.

If the answer is to some guy at ebay, DON'T CHANGE IT.

Most of ebay's changes are a waste of resources as they FAIL to make the site easier to use or easier to find items that you want to purchase. Those are the only changes that matter.

Changing the look of something just for the sake of changing make everything more confusing for the user. What we do NOT need is a Windows 8 experience in Stores.

IMHO.

by: sasikat9 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 26 09:39:09 2013

Changing the design to make things prettier isn't going to improve sales or anything else.

WHY SCREW WITH SOMETHING THAT WORKS, FIX WHAT DOESN'T FIRST.

Once Fleabay  messes with redesigning stores they we become the sellers worst nightmare.

There isn't a thing wrong with the stores now. There are a few whiners and carrot jumpers that would likewan some little thing changed.

by: RCL This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 26 09:53:40 2013

I haven't bought since spring, and I went to Ruby Lane yesterday to window shop (the check out isn't any easier). UGH! It used to have the most welcoming home page--now it's all text in maroon and gray ''color blocking''. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ. There are major improvements with categorization, but the search logic isn't right. Searches were WAY over-productive out of scope. PLEASE EBAY: don't close my store in the only quarter I have left to make a pittance this year!!! My sales have PLUMMETED this year.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Mon Aug 26 10:04:00 2013

Rexford says: "All interesting unusual items fall to the bottom."

Maybe eBay should add an Anti-Best Match to their search criteria so the items we are really looking for will show up on top.

by: edwatt This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 26 12:21:39 2013

I agree with Marie.  It seems every time they make a change, it makes things worse, not better.
The order detail screen was fine for 10 years.  Someone had to justify their salary so they changed it.
Now the variation details of an order do not appear on the detail page.  What good is a detail page if it doesn't print the details.  I have to write them in manually.
I complain, they listen, nothing happens.
I give up calling and concentrate on my web store.

by: Massachusets Howler This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 26 14:38:17 2013

I don't give a RATS BEHIND about redesigned stores- if buyers can't see them what is the USE??
I want my EXPOSURE BACK!!
You can re-design and re-design all you want but what we need is FAIR EXPOSURE.
That IS what we pay for John Donahoe.
You can dress up this PIG all you want but what sellers need is EXPOSURE.
Mass Howler.
(I second what Phil wants).

by: Massachusets Howler This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 26 14:39:40 2013

Sounds like JD had another one of his "thinking days".
MH

This user has validated their user name. by: Ric

Mon Aug 26 16:20:39 2013

I am a store seller who is focused on the upcoming holiday season.

From finalizing orders for inventory, creating listings for that new inventory, to ordering supplies, as an eBay store seller, I do not want to see any redesigns, including TESTS OF ALTERNATE DESIGNS run from September through December!!

eBay never gets things right the first time, and the holiday selling season is not the time for changing the interfaces buyers have been familiar with - that is unless the plan is to intentionally sabotage sellers 2013 holiday sales.

IF eBay is considering storefront redesigns THEY should be soliciting input of ideas, and begin testing sometime in 2014!

Any changes, even tests will be roadblocks to seller success.

Message to the the empty eBay suits: since you do not buy or sell on eBay, try listening to those of us who make or supplement our living doing it and WAIT FOR 2014 for any tests or changes.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ric

Mon Aug 26 17:38:05 2013

I just had the chance to view one of the test store designs.

Based on what I saw the following words come to mind... Horrible, amateurish, no frills, and definitely not an improvement to a sellers business.

Based on the no frills store I looked at, I can only guess that eBay is going to de-feature store layouts. No more color choices, no more listing frames, no more promotion boxes.

I am guessing, but once all these features are stripped out, eBay may have plans on monetizing layout addons.

Our store subscription will entitle us to the stripped down version I saw only. Any addons like color scheme, frames, promotion boxes etc... will likely be made available at an extra cost.

IF this turns out to be the case, I plan on being one of the first sellers to cancel my store subscription after the announcement is made.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Mon Aug 26 18:59:06 2013

Once again the intellects at ebay fail to consider that every feature monetization means higher market place prices and more customers buying on Amazon, Etsy, and Rakuten.