Sun July 21 2013 17:51:59

Will More Images Increase Your Time on LinkedIn?

By: Julia Wilkinson

I got an email from LinkedIn the other day that said people can now add images to their profile; this feature has actually been in place since May of this year, as reported by TechCrunch and other venues.When I saw the email I thought again that the Web is going image-crazy, seeing the popularity of sites like Pinterest. But as TechCrunch speculated, the addition of this feature may portend an attempt at more monetization by LinkedIn, which might "put a premium on extra services (like Sharing, only “coming soon”), or more storage space — for example to hold more content on your profile page." It also puts LinkedIn more into the general online profile space, with sites like About.me and Flavors.me.

But before we users of the free LinkedIn service worry about our first bill, I wondered how many LinkedIn users would spend more time on the site because of this feature. Many of my friends and online seller acquaintances already spend a decent amount of time at the virtual water cooler on Facebook, one sites like these five; I think because selling online is often a solitary job, this gives us a way to have a group of coworker friends with whom we chat just like we'd do in  a bricks-and-mortar space. So now we'll potentially be able to pore over photos on LinkedIn, only presumably they won't be of cats or babies dancing. (Or will they?).

I went over to my LinkedIn profile to add a pic. To use the feature, you go to LinkedIn, then Profile, then Edit Profile; look down and next to the pencil and "edit," there will be a cropping tool you can click to upload a file.

Now there's a pic of me there, like a ghost of eBay Live past, sitting at a table signing books for people.

What about you -- will you use the feature to add photos from your career, clips, or presentations? Do you think this will make you spend more time on the site? And maybe a question to think about down the road, could LinkedIn actually become a place to drive sales? Post a comment here!

Will More Images Increase Your Time on LinkedIn?   Will More Images Increase Your Time on LinkedIn?

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Mon Jul 22 07:39:56 2013

LinkedIn is the largest and most dynamic social media site for professional occupations.  It is used heavily by those in the recruiting industry and people seeking jobs, or people who are networking professionally.  To me, it doesn't seem like an appropriate place to sell one's goods, unless you are selling goods or professional services that are closely aligned with what the site is intended for.

Something tells me that if LinkedIn saw people using the site to sell used baby clothes or car parts they'd quickly step in and do some house cleaning.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Mon Jul 22 07:41:46 2013

Oh, and by the way, LinkedIn has a "report spam" feature for those who reach out to their members in attempt to sell them anything. You can actually be removed from the site if you use it in ways that are not intended.

This user has validated their user name. by: Al G

Mon Jul 22 09:32:08 2013

Other than the professional groups you can join, I found Linkedin is the breeding ground equivalent of "Ambulance Chaser" recruiters.

Then again, all you need is 1 hit to make your month....

This user has validated their user name. by: Tula

Mon Jul 22 13:36:55 2013

LinkedIn is very useful for managing your business network. I've gotten several consulting jobs through there. I agree with Al G, though, about the recruiters. I only connect with recruiters I'm actively working with, since I don't want them mining my business contacts for new clients. Any recruiters who spam me with lots of unsuitable job postings are quickly "unlinked".

I do think being able to post some photos for a virtual portfolio of sorts could be a good thing. Screen shots of applications you've built (for us software engineers) or shots of a presentation could be useful for potential employers or clients to see. I don't see it going into ecommerce, other than maybe business self-help books/services or the like. Even that might be a stretch. I don't think those who use it as it's currently intended will appreciate having ecommerce kinds of content. LinkeIn in much more about selling yourself than selling any kind of goods or services.

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Mon Jul 22 18:32:21 2013

@Tula,

Yeah, LinkedIn, I could not believe the number of people sucking up to Donahoe on his "thinking" article, 680 to date ... Yuk ... This is probably where eBay finds its CS reps ... http://bit.ly/12wRFTo

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Tue Jul 23 07:35:25 2013

Tula, there is a setting on LinkedIn that will keep anyone from seeing your contacts.

This user has validated their user name. by: Tula

Tue Jul 23 15:22:21 2013

@Rexford: Thanks, I'll look into it! I haven't spent much time looking at their privacy settings yet, but I'll do that ASAP.