Mon July 15 2013 19:46:27

eBay's New Boards: Pros and Cons

By: Julia Wilkinson

It's about a week into the new eBay Discussion Boards being back up online, and I trolled around to see what people were saying. Ina recently wrote about the new boards the day after they came back up and how you can change your settings, and many of you shared your thoughts, so I thought I'd see how things were shaking out there after a little time.

One eBayer started "The First Official Soapbox New Board Complaint Thread" (link) and the first comment is not particularly laudatory: "The smileys SUCK out loud," wrote a user with the handle "strangedayinthegarden." Elsewhere on the negative side, they thought "those thread title suggestions were annoying," but they were "Glad they could be turned off....hope they stay turned off."

But it wasn't all negativity, to be fair. "The look ain't so bad, I suppose. I know people will complain that the fonts are too small, but I like this size (As Ina noted in her post, you can change this in Settings)...We've got multiple page links back again." And they "noticed something about an autosave....that could be useful."

And "strangeday" allowed that "I was just perusing my preferences....there are a lot of ways one can customize things…cut out the unnecessary crap like tags and kudos, for one. So that's good...ish."

But then "strange" went on to say "Re: the no mention of whom one is quoting....I notice that near the top of the post it says whom one is replying to....but that's not always accurate, as sometimes....often....one justs clicks reply to the last post. And of course quoting multiple posts within one post is now impossible unless one has multiple tabs or windows open. Pft."

As for myself, I haven't kicked the tires there as much as I'd like yet, but I did check out my old stomping ground, the Clothing and Accessories board, where what first caught my eye was a thread where someone posted they sold something to Rod Stewart. I made a reply. I did like the clear "Preview" feature and that it seems to be clear how to do attachments, as well as insert images and videos.

I do think boards as active as eBay's need to have sophisticated ways to quote-reply, to multiple other posts with a post, so that part is important.

Some people in the Clothing board said they liked that their Community tab was "back on top"; then someone said it had always been back on top for them, whereas someone else said it came and went for them. Hmmm...

I thought it was interesting that someone commented "My e-commerce professor says that customers don't like to click more than twice. I guess whoever did the new boards didn't take an e-commerce class. Or web development. Or social networking. Or customer service fundamentals." So it might be nice to be able to customize the boards to get to the ones you want more quickly, but I guess you can always bookmark them.

Oh, and I tested out the new smileys. Well..they are..interesting. If not bizarre. But at least there are some emoticons; it would have been really tragic if we had none, even if some of them are bizarro robot faces...LOL.

What about you? If there are things you don't like about the boards, what do you like about them, and why? Post a comment here!

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Mon Jul 15 21:23:09 2013

There are "pros"? ... I took one look and am not going back; so, at least they got rid of me ...

eBay's New Boards: Pros and Cons   eBay's New Boards: Pros and Cons

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 16 00:27:14 2013

I was waiting--and waiting---sigh.

I am a regular visitor to a very long running Forum and now---well--

Nope.  Not feelin' the love.

I can't seem to get UPDATE posts via email.  How exactly am I going to know WHEN something does post?

I had to go FIND the Forum as the old posts do NOT link nor did bookmarks.  So I went and searched.  And searched.  Finally found it.  Made a post.  Know from private emails that others had made posts.  I HAD clicked the "NOTIFY ME WHEN NEW POSTS...." button.  Got ONE notice--several DAYS after the post had been made!  Then I got TWO updates--oddly enough these were for MY posts that I had written!

The "Topic paragraph"--ie the REASON for the Forum--is no longer VISIBLE!  There is a title  waaaay up at the top in the wee-est lil letters you ever did see.  Since no one can SEE it and few would look FOR it there--how are you going to know what the topic is ABOUT????

This was strictly a way to have ebay be able to say:::

Look!  We made a NEW bright n shiny toy!  And no one LIKED it!  Boo hoo!  Better save the stock holders money and shut 'er down!

Do you give it 6 months?

eBay's New Boards: Pros and Cons   eBay's New Boards: Pros and Cons

This user has validated their user name. by: WatchCount.com

Tue Jul 16 00:29:08 2013

I really think the new eBay boards are a vast improvement over the LiveWorld days. Sure, there are going to be some minor losses (I haven't tried using the quote feature mentioned, but that would be one minor setback), but on the whole the board looks very professional, modern, and well thought-out. Kudos to the eBay team for getting things transitioned. (...And of course, people will always find things to complain about in any system changeover, especially within large user bases.)

They just got email notifications working a few days ago, so that's very welcomed. And I like the plethora of configuration options in the Settings area. I always prefer too many than too few, as I can simply ignore the ones I don't need to shift away from Default or otherwise care about.

eBay's New Boards: Pros and Cons   eBay's New Boards: Pros and Cons

by: PowerSeller2007 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 16 01:25:23 2013

I am a veteran on ebay board. Dont be too excited you could ignore the pink. You are all being manipulated. Remember, ebay is a mis-information board. We alll have responsibility to reply back all ebay lies. Dont hide you head under the sand like a dumb bird. SPEAK OUT AGAINST ALL EBAY LIES!!

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Tue Jul 16 03:17:10 2013

Not all the setting work.  You can go to your preferences and set them, but they aren't accurate yet, even after a week of being live.  Notifications to threads you are following are spotty at best.  One email took me better than 3 days to get an email stating someone had posted.

I also have my setting set to bring up the newest posting first.  That happened once when I went into a thread and since then, no more.  My setting is still correct, it just doesn't do it.

I've set it to display in large print.  And it was doing it for a few days.  But today, on it's own it when back to small.

Seems to me they have a whole lot of bugs to work out.  Overall I think it will be fine once everything is working the way it is suppose too.  But in the meantime it is extremely frustrating.  It just seems Ebay is completely incapable of bringing something online without major issues.  Ones that if the programs were tested properly would have been resolved before bringing it live.

In my mind, there is no excuse for the lack of attention to detail.  They have been at this too long and know better.  They push stuff out the door long before it is ready for the platform.  And in doing so create so many problems, frustrated customers and wasting customers time.

eBay's New Boards: Pros and Cons   eBay's New Boards: Pros and Cons

by: JoyfulA This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 16 06:53:52 2013

Eww! Somebody actually posted what they sold to someone famous? That's really tacky, disclosing what ought to be private.

eBay's New Boards: Pros and Cons   eBay's New Boards: Pros and Cons

This user has validated their user name. by: Ric

Tue Jul 16 11:17:26 2013

eBay's designed obsolescence seems to be working just fine here.

Clearly, these boards are designed to make things hard to find.

The customization features are nice, however, if a user finds the board design and layout counter-intuitive and is motivated to visit the boards less, then the customization features are about as useful as teats on a bull.

eBay wants the discussion boards to go away, and this latest incarnation seems purposefully designed to accomplish that goal.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Tue Jul 16 11:53:53 2013

I really dislike the constant movement of the threads on the list.  When a posting happens on a thread it moves to the top and everything slides down a spot.  Then someone else posts on another thread and everything moves again.  For me it is too fluid and makes it harder to find stuff without using the searches.

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Tue Jul 16 19:23:36 2013

Funny, I did not hang around long enough to notice the dynamic effect on the listings of threads that Marie mentions, but I would nevertheless agree with her comment thereon; the F5 “refresh” key was always sufficient for me ...

Still, typical of eBay, if it’s already working appropriately, it must be “fixed” …

eBay's New Boards: Pros and Cons   eBay's New Boards: Pros and Cons

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Wed Jul 17 08:58:51 2013

So is this the 3rd, 4th or 5th time that the discussion boards have been redesigned? How many more times will it be redesigned? Lots of dead wood at eBay who have to justify their existence by constantly remodeling the house.  Change for the sake of change ad nauseum.

eBay's New Boards: Pros and Cons   eBay's New Boards: Pros and Cons

by: Tizzy This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 18 16:34:54 2013

How would you like it if you had been a poster on the discussions boards for over three years and didn't even get a chance on the new boards.  I WAS "BANNED" from the boards before they even opened.  My attorney is looking into it and it appears to him that many laws have been broken by both ebay and Lithium.

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Thu Jul 18 21:42:20 2013

@Tizzy, you must have been extremely naughty; then, I have not yet bothered to try to post on the new boards ... http://bit.ly/11F2eas

eBay's New Boards: Pros and Cons   eBay's New Boards: Pros and Cons

by: ConsumerAtLarge This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 29 07:04:20 2013

Yes Tizzy, I too experienced the same communication nazi tactics last night for nothing in particular.   It's as if they think they have the right to change the way we communicate, like all true dictators.  If they don't like your manner, they ban you. I hadn't dropped in there in weeks, and got the finger right out of the gate. Nothing has changed, first they ban you, then remove any access to the message system where the so called account sanctions are contained, NO REDRESS whatsoever while they threaten a consumer account?...pathetic.

I've decided to close my ebay account in protest of their dictatorial consumer herding however, they even make that bloody hard.  They reserve the right to prostitute my personal information to their trade partners, and I now have to ensure that none of them retain my personal info which I gave ebay no permission to sell or share.  I'm going to have to lodge a complaint with the privacy commission just to get these parasitic leeches & their trade parasite partners out of my life.  It shouldn't be this predatory, but it is....=(extreme caveat emptor) -ebay sux big time these days so they can kiss this consumer goodbye.  Once I can shake them off.

eBay's New Boards: Pros and Cons   eBay's New Boards: Pros and Cons

by: ConsumerAtLarge This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 29 21:14:27 2013

You know, it occurred to me that Ebay are nothing but thugs, and their reputation in this country is exactly that. they are the poster child of Monopolistic bullying, & they'll never learn to play well with others.  Rather they bite the very hand that's fed them all these years like a true feral.

Over the years I've noticed that many of their larger sellers (who they also manage to alienate on a regular basis), are going it alone e.g. deals direct, OO and various others.  I buy directly from them now and give Ebay a big miss - what a relief. = cheaper prices and REAL redress if anything goes wrong?  bloody marvellous...what more could a consumer want but that which is legislated.?  Even better, the money stays in Oz.

I think more sellers need to be encouraged to go out on their own and give ebay the bird, just as ebay gives them the bird on a regular basis.

We need to get behind AUSSIE businesses, not US thug monopolies who think customer service is another term for sheep herding. DD and OO have done it, so it's not impossible & I bet they've never looked back.  In fact, the best thing ebay ever did was stab those sellers in the back because now we enjoy much cheaper prices, and much less frustration dealing directly with AUSSIE businesses, not a 'talk to the hand' defacto dictator.

eBay's New Boards: Pros and Cons   eBay's New Boards: Pros and Cons

by: ConsumerAtLarge This user has validated their user name.

Thu Aug 1 01:37:20 2013

Well have I got some great goss,  having been banned from ebays pathetic forum without offense or notification. (along with a growing number of other consumers).  I took my complaint as a consumer to Lithium itself as a registered SERVICE PROVIDER in this country.  Not that these American bully companies & their predatory business models recognise consumer rights, but even so.

After much back and forth I've finally got the inside Goss on why ebay allegedly changed mod squads to that of this latest commercial totalitarian dictatorship. (as if Liveworld weren't heavy handed enough?)  Apparently not.

According to Lithium - their newly imposed steel cap boot approach to moderation, was put in place by eBay and they're simply THE ENFORCER. (cue 'Godfather' Theme Song)

Apparently Liveworld weren't being hostile enough towards ebay consumers, so they brought in LITHIUM MOD MAFIA as their enforcers.  Though Lithium described it to me as 'rectifying the situation'...lmao. wonder what situation they're rectifying?  Participation?...lol

So in case anyone is interested, the bottom line from ebay and Lithium (or ebay according to Lithium) is this:  Users will abide by their anal retentive slap everything rules, & if they don’t like it they can leave.

Achtung...you vil obey, or you vil be shot !!!!!

BTW, anyone interested in telling Lithium how much they're loving their Communication experience this is their Sydney Head office Number.  At least give them an earful as you go.

Phone: (+61) 02 8415 9877

eBay's New Boards: Pros and Cons   eBay's New Boards: Pros and Cons

by: ConsumerAtLarge This user has validated their user name.

Sat Aug 3 21:04:09 2013

It seems I'm not the only long standing ebay consumer noticing Lithiums 'WORD NAZI' steel cap boot censorship...so much for the Lithium 'Communication Experience' In fact that term could be the latest Oxymoron in the E-commerce Urban Dictionary.....The writer of this recently censored 'up yours', seemed to think so & since Lithium don't moderate the entire Net, we'll just have to extract the urine where they have no power to shut us up ...(posted with permission of the writer)

If you go out on the boards tonight, you’re sure of a big surprise.
If you go out on the boards tonight, you’d better go in disguise,
For any word that ever there was,
may snare you if you use it, because
The mods are reading the Urban Diction-ary.

Stay clear of any insidious words that might ever cause a frown,
(It’s always dangerous coming up, but riskier going down.)
For tricks and traps;
And Lithium slaps
Are lying in wait when you hit your straps.
Cos mods are reading the urban diction-ary.

If you refer to a milit’ry band, beware of the fife and drum,
You can safely say you’re going away,  but never admit you’ve come.
And bear in mind whenever inclined
To mention a dog of the female kind,
The mods are reading the Urban Diction-ary.

Tell us you ate a chook for lunch – but please don’t mention stuffin’,
Crumpet may possibly be allowed, but never that wicked muffin.
For every mod in Lithium’s pay
Is ready to pounce on what you say,
And they’re all reading the Urban diction-ary.

If you go out on the boards tonight, be careful of what you say,
It’s lots of fun on the boards tonight, but safer to stay away.
So laugh and tease as much as you please,
But don’t forget when shooting the breeze,
The mods are reading the Urban diction - ary.